Opinions needed: "keychain light" size?

Shorttime

Newly Enlightened
I guess if you're swinging a lanyard with some pins, your ID badge, tassel from your graduation hat, change purse, and so forth, then you'll have a different idea of what it means for something to be a "keychain light", than somebody who needs it to fit in their minimalist skinny jeans.

That's what this thread is about: what is your opinion for the size of the largest and smallest things you would call a "Keychain light"? Pictures and context are excellent additions.

(I don't have a dedicated light on my keychain, so I don't really have pictures. If I anticipate the need for a light, my ProTac 2LX probably gets shoved into my left pocket. I have big fat fingers and tiny lights are neat, but not always easy to hold on to.)

parang

Newly Enlightened
This is my keychain with the Sofirn SC01. I find it ideal. Ti would be nice, but I am good. This way I have steel, Alox and Titanium represented.
3isw0acvp9s71.jpg

I also have a Vic Traveller Lite and the Cybertool Lite which could be in theory used as key chain tools. I could call that as big as I want to go. They are pocketable but bulky and heavy, not for EDC unless you always have cargo pants or belt sheaths.

I think Photon lights are the original keyfob light for a light option.

Last edited:

3oni

Newly Enlightened
I've tried a half-dozen over the past 18-20 years, roughly in this order: Photon (I forget which variation), second Photon when that one wore out, MaraTac AAA, MecArmy IllumineX-1, Nitecore TIP, and finally landed on the RovyVon Aurora A8.

I wish I'd picked the UV/red/white version rather than the amber/red/blue version (because laws around flashing blue and blue/red nix one of its functions, and I've since learned that UV can actually be pretty handy), but this is only my second keychain light which, if I lost it today, I'd replace with the same light (or its successor, I suppose, if they've come out with one when I lose it/the internal battery gives out).

Weighs less than 2 oz., polycarbonate body, 350-lumen max, micro-USB charging, and I can remember one aspect of the interface under just about any conditions: press and hold for momentary turbo. That covers my most common use cases -- which is good, because I always forget how the rest of the interface works. :LOL:

Attachments

• rovyvonauroraa8.jpg
    rovyvonauroraa8.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:

skid00skid00

Newly Enlightened
Olight i1R EOS, Nitecore TINI 2, Ultratak k18.

So AAA is A-OK, and lights not much longer than a typical key, and not much larger than the typical electronic keystick are OK.

Splitrail

Newly Enlightened
In the pocket, I like the flat ones.
Nitecore makes several.
I have one of each of these..................
Excellent lights!

Poppy

Flashaholic
DpgxiWhKcuBG4-SZIM4IbGOWjv=w840-h790-no?authuser=0.jpg

Left to right: Cooyoo quantum, TrustFire L1, Maglite Solitair LED, Manker LAD.

My keychain light has been the CooYoo for about 5 years. The LAD is almost too big, about the size of a car dongle key. The other two, are too big (as a keychain light) unless you carry your keys outside your pocket clipped to a belt loop, but they would fit nicely inside the watch pocket of a pair of jeans.

Of Course... that is just my opinion.

As it is, when the key is in the ignition of my car, the CooYoo as small as it is rides on one side or the other of my knee.

fuyume

Enlightened
TBPH, I don't like having to have a keychain, at all, especially where cars are involved, since for the past 25 years, cars have tended to come with ridiculously oversized electronic fobs.

I keep my car keys and house/office/po keys on separate keychains, because I don't drive everywhere, and I don't have a light on either of them. I also, being a frugal woman, have not owned a car newer than 2001, so I don't know if the fobs have improved much, but the ones I've seen others using don't impress me.

Before the 2001 F-150 I currently drive, I drove a 1998 Jeep Wrangler, and before that, a 1993 VW Passat GLX, neither of which had electronic fobs. My ex's 2001 VW Jetta was the first car we had with electronic wireless remote.

That being said, imo, a "keychain light" ought to be no larger than a typical electronic car key, perhaps 4x2x1 cm. Of course, common cylindrical batteries are far more convenient, so I would say anything that takes a single AA, AAA, CR123A, or 1-2 lithium coin cells *designed more for compactness than feature set or maximum brightness* can be a successful "keychain light".

If I am anywhere I'm going to need keys (anywhere outside my house), my Fenix E12 v2.0 EDC light will be with me, at the very least, so I don't feel the need for a dedicated "keychain light".

If I'm on my bicycle, I'll also have my Fenix PD36 TAC, and if I'm camping, I'll have my Fenix HM23 headlamp.

My current house/office/po keychain has four keys on it—one for my home, two for my office (shared building), and one for my PO box—plus a Nite-Ize carabiner as the fob that allows me to clip it to my car keys when I'm driving, which also allows me to give a valet or mechanic the car keys without giving them my other keys. That's already too many keys. My car keychain has the main car key and the stupid electronic fob that seems to only be useful for setting off the alarm unintentionally at the worst possible time.

Dreamweaver6365

Newly Enlightened
I guess if you're swinging a lanyard with some pins, your ID badge, tassel from your graduation hat, change purse, and so forth, then you'll have a different idea of what it means for something to be a "keychain light", than somebody who needs it to fit in their minimalist skinny jeans.

That's what this thread is about: what is your opinion for the size of the largest and smallest things you would call a "Keychain light"? Pictures and context are excellent additions.

(I don't have a dedicated light on my keychain, so I don't really have pictures. If I anticipate the need for a light, my ProTac 2LX probably gets shoved into my left pocket. I have big fat fingers and tiny lights are neat, but not always easy to hold on to.)
I use the stream light NANO LIGHT. I purchased five and handed them to my family members. We all love them. Have had one on a different keychain for three years now. Still works great. Handy light when needed. I have fairly fat fingers also and have no problem manipulating this little gem. Puts out a nice amount of light also. Ten lumens. All you need in a pinch. Only seven dollars on Amazon. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• PXL_20211030_140130491.jpg
    PXL_20211030_140130491.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 138

pumps

Newly Enlightened
I'm kind of new to the forum but have been a light carrying guy for years. I usually have one of these on me. The Olights I purchased during one of their "free gift " promos. Just pay $5 shipping. The short one is Olight's i1R EOS rechargeable , dual power settings, 5 lumens on low (7 hrs), 120 on high for 20 minutes, comes with a charging cord. It's small , twist on, actually not a whole lot to hold on to but it works well.
The black one is also one from Olight. Their i3E EOS. It uses a AAA battery and puts out 90 lumens when you twist it on. It will run 45 minutes on an alkaline battery and 1 hr 15 minutes on NiM. According to the website. Another $5 promo purchase.
The green one is from RovyVon, an Aurora A1. I forget where I saw RovyVons but I looked in to them and thought I'd give one a try. Basically $13 plus shipping. It's a rechargeable , comes with a cord. Some kind of polyamide body. 650 lumens claimed on turbo. If you press the button momentarily it comes on it highest setting. It has 4 or 5 levels of brightness. You can pick your color and the typed of LED. I did notice the other day ( I have a lot of stuff in my pocket) that it had accidently turned on. I saw it glowing through my jeans. Just the once so far.
I like ALL of them for what they are, the price, one uses AAA and two are rechargeable. I don't actually carry them on my keys because I have a lot. I DO have them on a bright colored keychain because they are SO little I'm afraid if I dropped them like in the yard I'm not sure I could find them. Also I've bought several of the Olights as gifts for co-workers, family and friends. Practical Xmas gifts.

Last edited:

nollij

Newly Enlightened
I have 4 keychain lights that I regularly carry. My neck carry light (probably my MOST carried light as I only take it off when I shower or swim) is my steel Veleno Designs Quantum D2. It's size and feature set make it IMO the ultimate neck-carry light, the light you have "when all other lights go out". It would serve par-excellence on a keychain but I never want to be parted with it. I have an aforementioned Stream Light Nano on a bugout bag in my car, only downside is it's overly smooth body which makes it difficult to turn on with wet or slippery (or cold) hands and it's watch batteries. Upside? Smaller and lighter than my Quantum D2. Definitely for occasional use. On my Prometheus pocket hook I carry a Prometheus Beta Magnetic (along with some other EDC items from CountyComm) and on my actual keychain I carry a Prometheus Beta Brass. It is the heaviest of all my keychain lights. I'll post pictures later.

Olight i1R

I don't actually use it on a keychain but I rarely carry keys except for work. Much prefer a pocket light or the above with a Tec suspension clip.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I posted this two years ago:

Its funny how different lights come in and go out of vogue.

Years ago, I carried a streamlight nano. They were all the rage! I wouldn't recommend it on a bet.
As the paint wore off, I went with the... it adds character mindset. Within a year... it had LOTS of character :rolleyes:

I then went with a Thrunite Ti a AAA number that is still on my son's key chain, but a little big for me.

I like small. One key will open any door, and dead-bolt in my house, and even a padlock so that I don't have to carry multiple keys and bulk up my pocket.
So I went with a CNQ stainless AAA light. It's a twisty it and the 4sevens Atom were the smallest AAA lights at the time, maybe still.

I was gifted a coo yoo Quantum by a friend overseas and have never looked back. I did get one of those key fob sized Manker's. Great light, and fine for the ladies who carry a handbag, but too large for key chain in the pocket carry for me.

3ERAn6lwpvOSKuE4TbkiWDYPYOPq-S8vIpFOA=w835-h599-no.jpg

Poppy

Flashaholic
The most annoying thing about the nano, was its runtime and the batteries.
It runs on 4 little button batteries, which combined only give 8 hours of diminishing light. It starts at only 10 lumens, and pretty rapidly goes down from that. Because of the short run-time, I almost never used the light. I'd go get another light so that I wouldn't run down the batteries in the nano. Heaven forbid that I should actually NEED that light, and already have half depleted batteries. Perhaps I'd have four hours of one or two lumens.

That's not enough reserve for this boy scout.

In contrast, here is a review of the cooyoo quantum.
The light has 2 modes: 8 lumen (6h) and 130 lumen (30 minutes) with 910 Cd. with its rechargeable 10180 battery.

Note: I don't know if the quantum is still available, but there are a number of manufacturers who copied the design.

Last edited:

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry a Nitecore Tube on my ID fob for work. It is flat and fits in my pocket. Two quick access settings and sweeping brightness adjustment with a long hold. My perfect EDC for work in addition to the light I carry on my keychain.

fnhfive7

Newly Enlightened
I usually pick the Ultratac K18. With a Soshine 10440 it puts out 370 lumens I think it is and it is so light I don't even realize I have it usually. I'm super OCD so I take advantage of the pocket clip instead of putting it on a keychain so I don't scratch it all up.

I thought about trying the Mecarmy CPL2 as it really looks cool & different.
cpl2.jpg