Opinions needed: "keychain light" size?

fuyume

Enlightened
I have a Swisstech Micro Light thing that was obviously intended to be a keychain light, sort of like an oversized Photon (I miss those, are they still around?), but it doesn't get used because the activation spring is so stiff, it's actually painful to use, even for a second, and it is momentary only, no latch. It has a screen cleaner on the bottom, which raises the question of how useful that is going to be when it gets filthy from being on a keyring. It takes two CR1616 coin cells, I think.

Attachments

• 780FEA4E-EA58-419E-9513-9908000EF0AC.png
    780FEA4E-EA58-419E-9513-9908000EF0AC.png
    58.8 KB · Views: 111
  • 4BA0F170-1EAC-4110-A439-71F15AFC7E87.png
    4BA0F170-1EAC-4110-A439-71F15AFC7E87.png
    62.5 KB · Views: 100

nollij

Newly Enlightened
I have a Swisstech Micro Light thing that was obviously intended to be a keychain light, sort of like an oversized Photon (I miss those, are they still around?), but it doesn't get used because the activation spring is so stiff, it's actually painful to use, even for a second, and it is momentary only, no latch. It has a screen cleaner on the bottom, which raises the question of how useful that is going to be when it gets filthy from being on a keyring. It takes two CR1616 coin cells, I think.

Yes, photon lights are still around. Bought 1 recently to use on a watchband. Got the mount and specific bands from gearward. https://gearward.com/products/watch-flashlight

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I've used the button and coin cell lights and decided the best format (for me) is 1AAA as I can use a Duraloop (Eneloop rebranded) in it and not have to worry about buying batteries ever again for plus the high 120 lumen mode on my light can crater alkaleaks pretty fast. I've considered getting a 10180 light with built in charging for higher output but I realize that I can easily get by with 30-50 lumens of light which is about medium mode on my light and 120 is more than enough to suffice for me that needing 300 lumens with a lithium ion battery that likely would be a hassle to take out and swap in a moment. BTW most coin cell lights use either a single 2032 for red/green colors or 2x2016 for white LEDs. I pretty much gave up on that format mainly due to liking cree high power LEDs over 5mm splotchy looking LEDs that can't manage even 30 lumens output hardly let along 100 lumens. 80+ lumens in a keychain light is recommended as if you don't have a regular light on hand it can have enough power to get through light pollution like if you drop something under the fridge in the kitchen etc.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I've grown fond of lights similar to the one shown in post #21. My current one is a nite ize version on my work truck fob set. It's $4 or so, has enough light to see steps or a keyhole, or in a pinch enough light to change a flat tire. Yet I DO NOT rely on it. It's more of a just in case feature on my keys.

Whatever light I attach to my keychain hooks via a quick release device, no doubt. If it didn't come with one I add a mini caribiner clip.

251-C7806-4-C47-4-DEC-86-C6-83-B9-C08-CFC53.jpg

In the center is the nite ize currently being used.
Others shown for effect. At the top, that is about the largest light I'd consider a key chain light.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
That heavyish Mecarmy CPL2 looks interesting except for the cold, low CRI emitter. Wonder if anyone here can replace it with a pleasing LED?

As far as this forum person's keychain; too much weight already. Currently for years now using a Yuji LED replaced Photon Freedom (egregious pulse width modulation and all) but primarily a Nitecore TIP first generation Nichia attached to an ITW Grimloc carabiner on a belt loop for every day and night, edc. Oh yeah, for those very rare times, there is also on that Grimloc a cyan Photon II for moments of super discretion. It is super easy to use finger and thumb to surround the cyan emitter and slowly open up to see things close up and not be seen (keeping a human digit between the light source and the direction one does not want to be seen at night. The button release on the Grimloc has been cut down to eliminate possible release when exiting a vehicle or rolling around with the family dogs and humans.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Lov
That heavyish Mecarmy CPL2 looks interesting except for the cold, low CRI emitter. Wonder if anyone here can replace it with a pleasing LED?

As far as this forum person's keychain; too much weight already. Currently for years now using a Yuji LED replaced Photon Freedom (egregious pulse width modulation and all) but primarily a Nitecore TIP first generation Nichia attached to an ITW Grimloc carabiner on a belt loop for every day and night, edc. Oh yeah, for those very rare times, there is also on that Grimloc a cyan Photon II for moments of super discretion. It is super easy to use finger and thumb to surround the cyan emitter and slowly open up to see things close up and not be seen (keeping a human digit between the light source and the direction one does not want to be seen at night. The button release on the Grimloc has been cut down to eliminate possible release when exiting a vehicle or rolling around with the family dogs and humans.

Love my Photon Freedom with Yuji. I have several in 3200k and 5600k.

Last edited:

3_gun

Enlightened
For me "key chain light" = AA or AAA formats. AAs for people who don't normally carry another light & AAA lights for most of this board who do carry a light daily. Right now my KCL is a Fenix E01v2. Nice size, 3 light levels, simple to use & out of the way until it's needed.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me, AAA is the largest light I can have on a keychain, and it must be aluminum or Titanium for weight reasons.
That being said, my keychains have a Quantum dd, a DQG fairy brass, and a Peak Eiger SS 10180 on them. My wife's usually has an e01 or a c01s on it.
I really like the 10180 format for this, and I use them as an emergency light, having something else in my pocket all of the time.

Latest posts