Options for budget pure self-defense strobe flashlight, almost no other priority, at least 2000 lumen.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
If this is your last and only resort look up "palm stick self defense" and take it very lightly.

I still preach situational awareness over anything.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Welcome still here. Glad the olight is at least close to what you seek.
Thanks for keeping it civil.

I personally shy away from olight products due to reading numerous complaints about reliability. But... from what I understand, issues show up early. As in QC at their factory is hit and so sometimes a bad one gets out.

Last edited:

StillHere

Newly Enlightened
If this is your last and only resort look up "palm stick self defense" and take it very lightly.

I still preach situational awareness over anything.
I agree with you 100% about the situational awareness, better to avoid such situation if possible in the first place. I also advise people to use "tactical communication" as a means to get out of a sticky situation if possible before any resort to violence. As it goes I do carry a sturdy cane which I'm very aware could be used as a weapon, but that's more for disability purposes just as a flashlight would in reality almost always be used as a light for every day use.

My desire for a flashlight (I usually say torch) suitable to be used as a weapon is fully with the understanding I will hopefully never have to use it and it will simply be an excellent lighting aid. I'm registered disabled as it is and the idea of having to fight anyone able-bodied is the last thing I would want to do because the odds are not good in my favour. Coming to this forum and talking about act/s of fighting was never my intention as this isn't the place for that. However, it's seems I got caught up in some intrigue and did not get a very nice welcome. I do not believe my post was provocative regardless and only mentioned having experience and being comfortable with that so as not to have to engage in exactly the sort of conversation for which I was attacked. It's better to just on with life than wallow in such muck, but still I thought to clarify my position. I only wanted to get some advice from people who know more about modern flashlights than I do and maybe some recommendations based on the features I would like to have. I have no Idea who "James" is. and I hope this clarifies my position for posting. If there is still any doubt of my personal identity then then invitation to a chat is always open, but otherwise life goes on.

Lastly, moving on. Other than my time spent policing which I only mentioned as a sort of laugh (but true) relative to the other person's comment, I'm a designer/creator of things and sell various products around the world. The last few years it's been a modular wet shaving razor that I designed. Most reviews say it's very good which is nice. Many times I've thought to have a flashlight/torch made to my design, but I realise how big an endeavour that is so never got past some notes and a few CAD designs. There was also a short time I was working as a sales rep for the official distributor in the UK of Streamlight torches, but that didn't last long. My point is regardless of the "self defence" thing, I also have an interest in flashlight technology and design in general so I hope that I will see cool posts here and maybe engage in more conversation.

May this find you well.

Cheers,
Rob

StillHere

Newly Enlightened

I personally shy away from olight products due to reading numerous complaints about reliability. But... from what I understand, issues show up early. As in QC at their factory is hit and so sometimes a bad one gets out.
Thank you bykfixer, I appreciate that.

I did mention to the friend that recommended the Olight that I read many people saying they are more a show/story telling type company than actual good products. He told me he's had his for something like two years, don't remember exactly but it's been through a few hard knocks and keeps working so he says. So far mine is working really well, but taking into account what you mention and also my "fears" regarding quality control, the way I see it is their marketing and service has been so good (the website is an amazing example of marketing imo) plus even with the almost always-on discounting that still (imo) the products are overpriced, that if something goes wrong they will not haggle about replacing the item.

I'm not an Olight fan per-say and if I see another torch someday that I like, it will be mine, lol. Maybe something a little thinner would be nice as the Warrior 3s is a little bulky.

StillHere

Newly Enlightened

Hi again, just thought to ask my friend because I remembered he did say something about an issue with an Olight, so I just message him and this is the Discord chat we just had, I've removed names other than mine...

Hi XXXX, just a quick question, the Warrior 3s you have, did you have to return it once for a replacement? I forget, but you might have mentioned that.

XXX — Today at 6:42 PM
I had the 2s
[6:42 PM]
That melted my pocket
Lol
But the 3s has a sensor so i just asked them to swap and they said yes
Within a week i had a brand new in box torch

Rob — Today at 6:43 PM
Ah, ok thx, I forgot the story.

XXXX— Today at 6:43 PM
Why

np, I was just wondering
[6:43 PM]
it was for another person

I was saying I like it but they have heard of quality issues (edited)

XXXX— Today at 6:44 PM
Super easy to deal with, my headtorch from rhem i left in a wet tent for 6 months. I couldnt see the torch through the mould and after washing it in a washing machine it turnned on straight away
[6:44 PM]
My 7year old torch is still in use and XXXX uses it every day

Rob — Today at 6:45 PM
7 yo olight? (edited)

XXXX — Today at 6:45 PM
Ya
[6:45 PM]
Discontinued now but still a great torch

James9000

Newly Enlightened
No offense James, but this forum is about flashlights not fighting. Please refrain from any more violent content.
Happy to be obliging, but your comment is very strange to me. I'll be very interested to know where you're coming from and what sort of person you are.

I absolutely agree that one doesn't want discussion about violent conduct which is distasteful and against the law.

Your comment implies an accusation of something which I've not done. In British law blindinng someone with a flashlight is not classed as any form of assault. The light particles and waves coming up from the torcch is not considered to be a weapon.

My question was strictly relating to self defence as a non-violent disruptive tool if a terrorist or a madman was coming at me and wanted to stab me. Are you taking away my right to legally discuss how to defend myself by making a false accusation that I'm needing some sort of plastic Gangster discussion, which is a complete lie.

But that I'm curious as to what sort of person are you. Have you been institutionalised by modern education that any hint of masculine type behaviour of self defence is toxic and wrong and should be banned? How old are you? I'm 51 by the way. What caused you to write what you did? Obviously you are doing good in your own mind I suggest you are wrong and your remark does not fit the discussion in this forum thread. On other occasions it would be the correct thing to say.

James9000

Newly Enlightened
Here at CPF we don't discuss blinding people with a flashlight. Has nothing to do with laws or what kind of person I am.
It has everything to do with rules of a forum. It's real simple, not complicated at all.
I respect you but there are people that like having power over others by setting themselves up as some sort of authority figure or policeman. I had a look and I couldn't see any rules regarding the discussion of pointing flashlights in people's eyes. I wonder if you be kind enough to point me where that rule is. Thank you.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I respect you but there are people that like having power over others by setting themselves up as some sort of authority figure or policeman. I had a look and I couldn't see any rules regarding the discussion of pointing flashlights in people's eyes. I wonder if you be kind enough to point me where that rule is. Thank you.

Here's the deal....you seek information that no one in this thread can provide.
Should you still seek the same information then you must look elsewhere.
Should you seek new information unrelated to your prior information then you start a new thread.
Ideally, that is how it works.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here at CPF we don't discuss blinding people with a flashlight. Has nothing to do with laws or what kind of person I am.
It has everything to do with rules of a forum. It's real simple, not complicated at all.
Rules don't exist here anymore do they?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
IMG_1384.jpeg

I've tried to be devil's advecate in this one but some people can't be reached.
That's my last words on the matter.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heck, if someone attacks you, just hand them your flashlight. Most muggles will look at the lens and turn it on and blind themselves. It happens all the time. Really. Yes, really.

StillHere

Newly Enlightened
Hi James9000. I recently joined the CPF to ask more or less the same question. I see this isn't a popular topic so out of respect for others I won't engage here in any sort of public discussion regarding the pros/cons or actual use of a torch for self defence, but I thought to mention the hardware info I found and maybe help resolve this topic for you.

So as you may have seen from a few of my previous comments I bought the Olight "Warrior 3s" which is pretty close to perfect for what I wanted. Olight has big discounts regularly as they seem to be very much a marketing company foremost that happens to sell torches. Still, the quality of the one I have and a friend who has one seem pretty good so far. You can look up the specs, but I think it has what it takes for the purpose. Whether it's too bulky as an EDC or not for you is another question.

Ok, the Warrior 3s is what I bought because I got tired of searching and it was available in the UK. Having said that, some other info you may like is doing a search on YouTube for something like "tactical defence flashlight torch". I found one guy who's channel is called "FlashLight Crazy" and he has a whole video on this topic. He advocates a specific torch in the end but I never fully trust anyone that has an affiliate link to what they recommend. Still, he makes some good points on the topic. Look at what service you will get in the UK before ordering any torch, especially from China. There are some other videos also which are good. I also recommend reading the comments on these videos for more insight.

I generally find the general subject of flashlight/torch technology fascinating regardless of my desire for a specific torch, as such I would rather stay on the good side of people's sentiments on the CPF. No use trying to argue something that has very little chance of producing a result even if you feel you are correct. I do hope my suggestions further above help your search for what you're looking for.

Cheers,
Rob

James9000

Newly Enlightened
View attachment 51208
I've tried to be devil's advecate in this one but some people can't be reached.
That's my last words on the matter.
With authority comes responsibility, if you are wielding the power of justice and the law. You have to be accurate. As I have mentioned shining a light on someone's eyes is not considered an assault or an offence even if you do in offensive manner. My question was purely related to self defence effectiveness of shining a light in the eyes of an unprovoked attack. That is not illegal. In fact you are threatening my safety by not allowing me to discuss something which might give me some small measure of safety against an unprovoked attack.

James9000

Newly Enlightened
Hi James9000. I recently joined the CPF to ask more or less the same question. I see this isn't a popular topic so out of respect for others I won't engage here in any sort of public discussion regarding the pros/cons or actual use of a torch for self defence, but I thought to mention the hardware info I found and maybe help resolve this topic for you.

So as you may have seen from a few of my previous comments I bought the Olight "Warrior 3s" which is pretty close to perfect for what I wanted. Olight has big discounts regularly as they seem to be very much a marketing company foremost that happens to sell torches. Still, the quality of the one I have and a friend who has one seem pretty good so far. You can look up the specs, but I think it has what it takes for the purpose. Whether it's too bulky as an EDC or not for you is another question.

Ok, the Warrior 3s is what I bought because I got tired of searching and it was available in the UK. Having said that, some other info you may like is doing a search on YouTube for something like "tactical defence flashlight torch". I found one guy who's channel is called "FlashLight Crazy" and he has a whole video on this topic. He advocates a specific torch in the end but I never fully trust anyone that has an affiliate link to what they recommend. Still, he makes some good points on the topic. Look at what service you will get in the UK before ordering any torch, especially from China. There are some other videos also which are good. I also recommend reading the comments on these videos for more insight.

I generally find the general subject of flashlight/torch technology fascinating regardless of my desire for a specific torch, as such I would rather stay on the good side of people's sentiments on the CPF. No use trying to argue something that has very little chance of producing a result even if you feel you are correct. I do hope my suggestions further above help your search for what you're looking for.

Cheers,
Rob
Thank you, I appreciate your advice very much. The one you suggest of that very nice. I totally agree with you regarding discussing the use of the torch as a weapon is not a good idea and act against the rules of thiss forum as has been pointed out. That's why was limiting my discussion to the light blinding effectiveness. Thanks again. All the best

ghostguy6

Enlightened
Can we just lock this thread and be done with it. I think all the reasonable relevant information possible as already been posted. Simply discussing any tool used for self defence could constitute per-mediation which could land the OP in further legal trouble. Seriously If you dead set on using a flashlight to protect yourself your better off consulting with a lawyer than CPF.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
I consulted my new big giant yeti girlfriend (according to another thread) about her thoughts of using a flashlight to deter terrorists and she said "no, big stick".

I don't argue with her because she's huge and beats me. I tried to keep her from beating me by shining my flashlight in her eyes but she just laughed and chased me down and beat me even more. She also stole all the beef jerky.

Help me. Please.

James9000

Newly Enlightened
Can we just lock this thread and be done with it. I think all the reasonable relevant information possible as already been posted. Simply discussing any tool used for self defence could constitute per-mediation which could land the OP in further legal trouble. Seriously If you dead set on using a flashlight to protect yourself your better off consulting with a lawyer than CPF.
I've been done wrong here because I've never talked about using a flashlight as a weapon which could lead to the legal trouble you suggest I have talked about the effectiveness of blinding someone who is trying to attack me. As I've mentioned several times there is no offence in shining a torch in someone's eyes. The light coming out with torch is not considered to be a weapon, it does not exist in law. By someone WRONLY giving me a heavy-handed warning against discussing violence. Other people including yourself have assumed that is what I have done, which I have not. Maybe that's problem with the world, there's no honour and integrity. Things are more like a politically correct nightmare. This is the statistics of knife crime in London. And you would like to make the topic of a completely legal method of impairing someone's ability to attack you a taboo subject. Look at these figures.
ic4iodcrywrb1.jpg

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Naw, it is all propaganda, the crime in uk is so low, most police do not even carry guns, you do not need anything to defend yourself, in rare case that you believe you do, just call police. an average person can not be trusted with any weapon. In fact if Us had the same laws that UK has, we would not have any crime either, and we would not need any 2A. It is ridiculous that you even talk about weapons and harming anyone. Seems like police need to come and have a talk with you, the way you think is dangerous.

sike

Last edited: