Overview: All eneloop batteries; 2005-2021

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
"duraloop" 4aa 2011 storage test.
all 4 cells read 1.285v after 10 years in sealed package.
results of 500ma discharge.
1 1078
2 1076
3 1073
4 1070

1st charge
1 1830
2 1834
3 1829
4 1806

cycle 2 1a
1 1791
2 1794
3 1791
4 1773

cycle 3 200ma
1 1855
2 1862
3 1858
4 1848

Muse

Newly Enlightened
I have many Eneloop batteries, AAA and AA. I have maybe a year ago acquired a number of Ikea LADDA batteries as well, both AA and AAA, which are thought to be high capacity rebranded Eneloops, I have it on good authority (having been manufactured in Japan, after all).

I've been using my La Crosse BC-900, but mostly my La Crosse BC-700 chargers to recharge all these.

I've been using 200ma setting for AAAs and 500ma for the AAs. These were recommended me as best practice to avoid overcharging and making reasonably sure of proper termination when using those La Crosse chargers.

I recently acquired some 18650 li-ion batteries and after some research bought an Xtar VC4 charger. That charger is rather different from the BC-700 and BC-900. It can determine the battery chemistry and does not use the delta V termination strategies of the La Crosse chargers but uses a soft start and soft finish, i.e. very slow charge at the start and very slow charge at the finish before showing "FULL" and displaying the mah applied (not total capacity unless the battery was initially fully depleted). However, minimum charge rate is 0.5A.

I'm wondering how to deal with my NiMH Eneloops (and LADDAs) now. Use the La Crosse's or the Xtar charger?

I don't know but suspect that the soft finish of the Xtar is preferable even though it's going to use a 0.5A charge rate. The La Crosse chargers would use a 200mah charge rate (for my AAA Eneloops), but there's still a risk of missing termination. I figure maybe the soft finish of the Xtar likely is superior to the La Crosse's delta V termination method, even for the AAA's.

What do you think?

Last edited:

ChibiM

Enlightened
After so many years, finally a new Eneloop battery.

Besides a new kinds of packaging for the Eneloop Lite and Eneloop PRO, the 5th generation standard Eneloop White has just launched in Europe.

Thanks goes to one of our readers, Daniel.

Minimum 2,000mAh, but same cycle life

v9xNHeo.jpg
dgrwHPb.jpg

BVH

Flashaholic
Finally having to change out my early 2011 Eneloops in my electric blinds. Instead of lasting 6-9 months, they are lasting about a month.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
i mean honestly how many recharge cycles do really need. Mine get recharged ab once a week in my lights? so 500-600 cycles will take me 10 years. I'm good with that.if you recharged them every day these will last 5+ years😂

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm STILL using (among others),
my original AA Sanyo Eneloops
which I purchased in 2007 !
Same here. Roughly around the same time period, I got mine when Circuit City was still around. All AA's and AAA's seem to be working fine with my non-high current usage. Such great cells.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Same here. Roughly around the same time period, I got mine when Circuit City was still around. All AA's and AAA's seem to be working fine with my non-high current usage. Such great cells.
YES !
I also purchased mine at Circuit City !

ChibiM

Enlightened
Answering some questions:
Yes, still made in Japan.
AA 1st-4th generation were all 1,900mAh Min. and the new ones (5th gen) are 2,000 mAh Min
AA 1st-4th generation were all 750mAh Min. and the new ones (5th gen) are 800 mAh Min

Some observations:
They are also heavier than the older 1st-4th Eneloops.. (1 gram)
The new paper packaging seems pretty weak and easy to damage. For retail stores it might be difficult to keep them in good condition.
I just received mine a few days ago.. Did some testing (not according to the IEC standards), and I'm making a video.

Viking

Enlightened
Great to see they are still able to improve them.
Provided the batteries in the video approximately had the same state of charge, the weight difference seems compared to previous generations to be quite noticeable in my opinion, very interesting to observe.
Also Interesting to see if Fujitsu in the near future (the owners of the factory that makes them) will send its 5th generation batteries to the streets in a way that we, the consumers, can distinguish them from the 4th generation on the packaging or product code, I hope they will.

Thank you ChibiM for keeping us updated.

By the way, although I am not so active on the forum anymore, I still use your very informative website (https://eneloop101.com) approx. 3-4 times a year to keep track of my different generations, as I can't remember in my head which production codes refer to which generations. Likewise, when ever I buy new eneloops to myself or others, I always start by going to your website to see what production codes and packaging to look for.

Once again, thank you for your dedicated efforts to keep us all informed. It is much appreciated.