P1D CE, anyone got it yet?

stonehold

Newly Enlightened
I have a Garrity 1/2 w 3xAAA that throws the smoothest, cleanest, ring free, hotspot free cartoon quality beam ever seen. I never use it. Too weak too heavy too thick too slick too unregulated to bother with. It seems the P1D CE is on an altogether different plain of existence.

Skibane

Enlightened
Getting back to using RCR123 rechargeables for a moment -

A previous poster mentioned that the flashlight runs at maximum brightness (on HIGH, MEDIUM and LOW settings), but didn't say whether or not this fixed light output is greater than when running on the HIGH setting with conventional CR123's.

The lack of brightness adjustabilty with RCR123's seems to imply a lack of regulation...which would in turn imply more light output. Is this what is actually observed?

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Art Vandelay said:
Oh, so it is beween the hotspot and the spill. I could not see what they were talking about before. I was looking for big Surefire E1L style rings. Maybe somebody could Photoshop an arrow onto the "ring".
Windows Paint all the way, baby! :grin2:

Miracle

Enlightened
I m not bothered by the rings.

when u are trap in the dark

in an alien place

i dont think u admire the rings on your fenix ce

u will be thankfull that you have a Fenix CE

instead of a box of matches

:dedhorse:

Ledacholic Anonymous

Newly Enlightened
Mike89 said:
I don't understand all these negative comments from a beam pointed at a wall at 10 feet. This tells me absolutely nothing and I don't know why so many post these worthless beamshots. I don't plan on using it to stand next to a wall and look at a spot for crying out loud!

Will someone post some beamshots showing what this light will actually do besides showing a spot on a wall please? Go outside and point it at something with some distance to it so we can actually get an idea of how it throws and how it spills.

I did try to capture the beamshots outside with my sony digital camera but did not come out that well. I will try it with the Nikon D70 tonight.

John3

Newly Enlightened
I received several of the P1D CE lights on Monday (from a different source than 4 Sevens). I haven't had the time to really check them out; they do seem to work as advertised, but there is one odd thing about all of them.

If you twist the light to "off", then squeeze it length-wise, i.e., from lens to tail, it turns back "on" while it is under that longitudinal pressure. Release the pressure and it goes back to "off". You have to give it an extra 3/4 or so counter-clockwise turn past "off" to be sure it really stays "off". Sideways, or lateral pressure doesn't seem to cause this (as with my P1).

Just something to be aware of, not really a big deal.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
John3 said:
I received several of the P1D CE lights on Monday (from a different source than 4 Sevens). I haven't had the time to really check them out; they do seem to work as advertised, but there is one odd thing about all of them.

If you twist the light to "off", then squeeze it length-wise, i.e., from lens to tail, it turns back "on" while it is under that longitudinal pressure. Release the pressure and it goes back to "off". You have to give it an extra 3/4 or so counter-clockwise turn past "off" to be sure it really stays "off". Sideways, or lateral pressure doesn't seem to cause this (as with my P1).

Just something to be aware of, not really a big deal.
Yeah, that pretty much describes twisties. The clockwise twist just brings the head into contact with the battery, so if the threads aren't perfectly matched, rigid and unmoving, you can move the head a bit without twisting. Fortunately, this can make a reverse clickie into a tactical push-momentary/twist-on - click the switch and loosen the tailcap just a bit, and you can use the whole tailcap as a momentary switch (or tighten it up for normal use).

John3

Newly Enlightened
TigerhawkT3 said:
Yeah, that pretty much describes twisties. The clockwise twist just brings the head into contact with the battery, so if the threads aren't perfectly matched, rigid and unmoving, you can move the head a bit without twisting. Fortunately, this can make a reverse clickie into a tactical push-momentary/twist-on - click the switch and loosen the tailcap just a bit, and you can use the whole tailcap as a momentary switch (or tighten it up for normal use).

Most of my other twisty-type lights will do this, too, but only for a very small range of thread engagement. The P1D CE seems to have a much larger range of "momentary on" sensitivity than any other twistie I own, including several other Fenix models. Again, just a heads-up - if you really need the thing to stay off, be sure and test it with a head-to-tail squeeze before stowing away.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
John3 said:
Most of my other twisty-type lights will do this, too, but only for a very small range of thread engagement. The P1D CE seems to have a much larger range of "momentary on" sensitivity than any other twistie I own, including several other Fenix models. Again, just a heads-up - if you really need the thing to stay off, be sure and test it with a head-to-tail squeeze before stowing away.
Ah - I see now. :thanks:

Fortunately, that squeeze test is already a habit for me! :)

Wiz

Newly Enlightened
:crackup: this is one of the most entertaining threads yet :lolsign:

The people getting all upset about a small dark ring have me in fits, especially when coupled with expressions like "now I can't sleep" and "that's it I'm cancelling my order".

A year ago, if there had been a fully regulated, multi-level, 135 lumen light in a single CR123 sized package, with those run-times for $270... no $370+, people would have been buying. Now it seems that because of a tiny, less bright ring, $70 incl delivery is too much :huh:

Hellooooo? are all the wires still connected??? Some people need a reality check. Personally, I think that $70 (actually about £36 here in the UK :rock: ) is an absolute steal and I applaud Fenix for bringing such an awesome EDC light to us at such a bargain price.

Now when I paid about 4 times that amount for a Surefire L6 which is 10x the size/weight, not as bright, not multi-level and has a donut hole in the middle of the beam, right where you want it to be bright, I feel that disappointment is reasonable, but P1D CE is rockin' Can't wait for mine.

I hope that they now make a L2T with a Cree in. A simple 2 levels is good enough for me and as the P1D is almost as long as the L2T with the CR123 body anyway, the clicky tail cap would seal the deal as my perfect EDC. Keep up the good work Fenix...

LowTEC

Enlightened
Well, because:
Wiz said:
I paid about 4 times that amount for a Surefire L6 which is 10x the size/weight, not as bright, not multi-level and has a donut hole in the middle of the beam, right where you want it to be bright
Therefore:
Wiz said:
Personally, I think that $70 (actually about £36 here in the UK :rock: ) is an absolute steal

That explains everything, thanx

And the fact that the hotspot is not even sitting in the middle of the beam, if that's not some poor quality beamshot then I dunno what is. I know everyone is all excited about the brightness of the cree-xre (that's not Fenix's own creation by the way ) and totally ignore the the quality expectation from a $70 worth of light itself. I mean, even a gonnabe knock offs can put a xre bulb in a light and sold it for 30 in the near future and might come out with a better beam pattern. Jeez Fenix fan boys, I love my Fenix's, but I don't blindly doing so. Just ignore the brand, and try to look at the photo, does it look like a high quality beam shot to you? Honestly?

Last edited:

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
No offence intended, but I'm guessing most of the people here who are saying the ringy beam is no big deal haven't actually seen it for themselves. I'm not saying the P1D-CE is a crap torch - a tiny, superbright, fully regulated multimode torch is indeed good value for $90 Australian.

It's a pretty good effort for a first release production cree torch. But the ringy beam really is a step backwards for Fenix, whose torches up til this point have been renowned for their great beams. A few more weeks waiting for Fenix's R & D to perfect the beam wouldn't have killed anyone on CPF, and might have got the P1D-CE off to a more positive start.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Wiz:)

Not all people are really happy with this beamshape because:

Fenix lights are great lights, well build and the money worth, no doubt. I love mine, but we are be accustomed, that the beams in the past are nearly perfect (of all Fenix Luxeon-lights).

Now, this beam seems to be not perfect (at a light with great features, with the new Cree's for a good price) so I'm not wondering about the discontents.

This is a reflector light, not a light which uses an optic, so the beam could be better (perhaps the engineers has to need more time to optimize the beam).

At the end, every customer can decide to buy or not to buy but I'm sure, we will see at lot of lights in the near future with a nearly perfect beamshape with the Cree's. Hopefully from Fenix.

Best regards

____
Tom

LowTEC

Enlightened
wacbzz said:
Cool. So what appears to be a fault with the $70 light is really just a trick of my eyes, or problems with my brain. Makes me feel better about my $70.

107 degrees hot? (42C=107.6F) In less than 5 minutes? Or maybe it's just some trick of the hand mistakenly relaying the temp to my brain that is still messed up by the intensity of the hotspot!!!

:lolsign: it's funny but it might be true. It has to be you, not the light itself.

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast
So are the guts in the bezel easily removable? Reflectors? Lens?

I don't like donut rings either, but does it seem possible to find a fix, improve it, instead of beating the long
dead horse until it has turned into an ugly red heap of meat?