P1D-CE confiscated ='(

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that the sub was just covering his ***, he most likely tought it was a laser or something that could potentially damage the other person's vision in any way and to do nothing he could loose his Sub license, better say he did something about it (Confiscate) than that he did nothing in case a complaint is filed.

OTOH you made a bad choice in shinning the light in the eyes of the other student, if you are in class you are supposed to be working, if work is done, read!, Write, or ask before doing something than may look bad in the eyes of the educator.

HTH
AlexGT

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
BigIron...

270, as I've written before, that was a different world than the one in which we now live. Then, knives (and guns) were tools and were treated as such.

So true, as a child in the UK I always used to carry a S.A.K or some other folder...if a child was caught with one nowerdays they'd probably have to go for counciling to root out their "violent tendencies" or what ever (even if they didn't have violent tendencies). Knives are simply veiwed as weapons now (which is a shame because most folks here understand that they are tools).

Welcome to the 21st century folks...a world of PC insanity.

CFU

mahoney

Enlightened
Why would you need a knife in school? Well, using a knife or scissors to open bags of gummy bears and such is a bit more civilized than gnawing them open with your teeth.

Seriously though, about a decade and a half ago, a much younger friend of mine always had a knife in his pocket at school. He didn't flash it around as even then it was against the rules to have a knife. One day in woodshop another student was using the lathe and his apron caught and he got pulled into the machine. Out came my friend's knife and the student was cut free before any real damage occured. My friend didn't get expelled because he did save a life, but he didn't get to carry a knife in school anymore either.

I suppose it's moot now, most schools don't have shops of any type.

I almost always had a knife in my pocket at school, and I think we have lost a valuable part of our culture. I don't remember students running amok stabbing one another, although I'm sure there were fights that got out of hand somewhere. We should let students who are capable of behaving responsibly have tools, and penalize only the students who prove that they are not trustworthy. Instead we assume everybody can't be trusted with sharp pointy objects.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sigh, I'm only 27, I didn't go to high school so very long ago. Even then, the only time my knife got mentioned was when a teacher asked to borrow it when the pencil sharpener in the room broke.

Alteran, glad you got your light back. I truly hope you keep carrying it, just to keep your rights open if nothing more. However, it might be better to "concealed carry" your light from now on.

:buddies:

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you think that's bad, some nanny staters in Great Britain are trying to ban kitchen knives that have pointed tips. That's not just for kids, or just in public, it's to prevent adults from having kitchen knives with pointed tips in their own kitchens, in their own homes. In case you are wondering, this is not satire, this is really happening in Great Britain.

mahoney said:
Why would you need a knife in school? Well, using a knife or scissors to open bags of gummy bears and such is a bit more civilized than gnawing them open with your teeth.

Seriously though, about a decade and a half ago, a much younger friend of mine always had a knife in his pocket at school. He didn't flash it around as even then it was against the rules to have a knife. One day in woodshop another student was using the lathe and his apron caught and he got pulled into the machine. Out came my friend's knife and the student was cut free before any real damage occured. My friend didn't get expelled because he did save a life, but he didn't get to carry a knife in school anymore either.

I suppose it's moot now, most schools don't have shops of any type.

I almost always had a knife in my pocket at school, and I think we have lost a valuable part of our culture. I don't remember students running amok stabbing one another, although I'm sure there were fights that got out of hand somewhere. We should let students who are capable of behaving responsibly have tools, and penalize only the students who prove that they are not trustworthy. Instead we assume everybody can't be trusted with sharp pointy objects.

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Art, nobody is banning kitchen knives in the UK...a few loonies suggested it, but nobody has taken them seriously, so, it's not happening in Great Britain.

I'm sure America and many other countries have these sorts of strange folk who think banning anything that can possibly be used in a crime is a good idea.

CFU

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is good to hear. The press always likes to stir things up. What is law now? Let's say I have a pocket knife and a Police Officer sees it. If I can't prove I'm on the way to go sailing (or some other good reason), how much time could I get for that?

Casual Flashlight User said:
Art, nobody is banning kitchen knives in the UK...a few loonies suggested it, but nobody has taken them seriously, so, it's not happening in Great Britain.

I'm sure America and many other countries have these sorts of strange folk who think banning anything that can possibly be used in a crime is a good idea.

CFU

zk188

Newly Enlightened
You think your school board sucks a kid was shot and killed in my highschool and we went to school the next day??!!?!?!?!?. BTW i attend Henry Foss Highschool

Last edited:

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Art, I can (and do) carry a none-locking knife with a single edged blade of 3 inches or less, that is perfectly legal if don't go around threatening folks or commiting crimes.

Any assisted, automatic opening or Balisong knives are illegal to carry in public places in the UK.

Fixed blades are also illegal unless you are out in the country whilst camping or such-like...basically, you need a good reason to carry a fixed blade...going to the local corner shop with one dangling from your belt will get you arrested.

For the record: I've only been asked to empty my pockets by the police on one occasion in the last several years (I assume I look respectable these days) they did not harass me for carrying my S.A.K.

All that said, I do believe that we in the West are losing way too many freedoms these days...and that (to coin an American phrase) "sucks"...I'm not sure what any of us can do about it.
icon8.gif

CFU

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
I EDCed my SureFire M3 for a few weeks a year ago which was when I was in middle school. I generally didnt take it out that much, especially in front of other people because I knew people would try to ridicule me with that. A teacher saw it once, threatened to confiscate it, and I never took it with me on a school day again.

I dont think its a very good idea to take any of your lights with you to school unless its a keychain light or something small and if you do just dont take it out unless it is absolutely necessary. There are a lot of ignorant or rather flashaholically uneducated teachers out there who will think it is a laser pointer or something of that sort and will confiscate it. If you didnt know anything about flashlights and saw a student whipping out a high powered photon chuckin device wouldnt you freak out as well?

knot

Banned
Alteran said:
Has anybody else had an experience like this before?

There was nothing exciting about flashlights when I was going to school. I don't think there were even halogen bulbs at the time.

Alteran

Enlightened
Where the grass is blue, up is down, and hamburger
Diesel_Bomber said:
Alteran, glad you got your light back. I truly hope you keep carrying it, just to keep your rights open if nothing more. However, it might be better to "concealed carry" your light from now on.

Don't worry, I will. :) And Mags, did they say why they were going to confiscate it? Had you even been using it at the time, or shining it at someone? And I agree, if any teacher even mentioned confiscating my $250 flashlight, It would be safely at home from then on, especially if it's too big to "concealed carry".

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you canucks have freedom from seizure laws?

That sub was way out of line and you should file a report with the district to determine their 'real' policy regarding flashlights. It's a safety item, not a weapon. How many of your friends had knives or drugs that didn't get taken away?

Alteran

Enlightened
As far as I know? No drugs, 1 knife. :sssh: But he's smart enough to leave it in his coat. I've only ever seen it once or twice, and never in school. But if the sub thought it was a laser pointer, then she might have thought she was enforcing a rule. I never even thought to say it wasn't a laser.

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the last thing I would want to do is get a bureaucracy involved. The OP is getting the flashlight back, and he is not suspended or in trouble. By asking a group of bureaucrats he would be conceding that he needs their permission. It would also lead to predictable results.

They are going find the CYA answer. Privately: "If we say yes and something bad happens we get the blame." Publicly: "We all agree, students may not have flashlights in school. The board would like to thank Mr. Alteran for bringing this important issue to our attention.":)

greenlight said:
Do you canucks have freedom from seizure laws?

That sub was way out of line and you should file a report with the district to determine their 'real' policy regarding flashlights. It's a safety item, not a weapon. How many of your friends had knives or drugs that didn't get taken away?

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum, I wasn't really sure. Has anybody else had an experience like this before?
I pulled out a bright Cree flashlight once (not a Fenix, it was an Elly I'd done some mods to) while my professor was doing a demonstration on refraction and internal reflection involving a long coiled glass rod and a green laser. I took a bundle of fiber optic cables that were being passed around the room, placed one end against the flashlight in my pocket, and used the other end to flood-light my desk (the room lights were off). My professor stopped in the middle of his demonstration, and asked to see the light. He was shocked that so much light was coming out of a single LED. He asked me where he could buy one, and I ended up selling him that one right after class.

...okay so maybe that wasn't an experience like yours :D

Alteran

Enlightened
Art Vandelay said:
They are going find the CYA answer. Privately: "If we say yes and something bad happens we get the blame." Publicly: "We all agree, students may not have flashlights in school. The board would like to thank Mr. Alteran for bringing this important issue to our attention."

And I would have no one to blame but myself... :ohgeez: Unless, of course, someone high up in the TDSB is also a CPF member. :laughing: Anyone? Anyone at all...? :popcorn:

And if this did happen, no way would it stop me. I'd hollow out a cavity im my shoe and put a fauxton in it. Shoe phone? How about a shoe light? Maybe I'd get a little pouch for a 1xAAA or 1xCR2 light sewn into the sleeves of my shirts. We flashaholics can be very creative if neccessary. Nothing keeps me alone from my RDO (reccomended daily overdose) of photons! :grin2:

lahjik

Newly Enlightened
Hmm...actually, many school boards are starting to adopt policies about "electronic devices" to restrict things like cell phones and iPods. But since this was a P1D, it is technically a circuit board controlled electronic device.

D@rk Messenger

Enlightened
lahjik said:
Hmm...actually, many school boards are starting to adopt policies about "electronic devices" to restrict things like cell phones and iPods. But since this was a P1D, it is technically a circuit board controlled electronic device.

The question is, if they were non flashaholics, would they know that ? (from what I know , every person I've met has said that they are not sophisticated, pointlessly expensive etc, and would not classify them under the same category as ipods/ cell phones). They probably wouldn't know the value of the light and therefore it would just pass off as a keychain fobb ( unless they were indeed a flashaholic). Ipods and phones are understandable, but lights? Please, gimme a break!