• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired P60 modules -warm, neutral, cool white/XRE-XPE-XPG-S2-XML-U2 / NICHIA 92CRI (part 10)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: P60 modules -warm, neutral, cool white/XRE-XPE-XPG-S2-XML-U2 / P60 modules (part

HI

OK Will Quiles has made some Very Low Voltage Drivers, these are for draining every last drop of voltage from old alkaline or NIMH batts. They will work up to 3 volts so you can use a 1XCR123 primary. You can read about it in his thread HERE at Will's Joule Thief thread , I have had many requests for so called vampire modules that would do just this run for long periods of time and drain every drop of juice left in the batts. Now these are not super duper bright lights but are certainly bright enough to walk around with and use in many other tasks. They make good emergency lights and everyone has old remote batts and toy batts.

I have tested these with a 3C daylight white XPG and a 3C XML and what I have found is that the XPG and XML are about the same brightness when running with a new 1XCR123 primary, the XPG will have a slightly better hotspot and the XML slightly more floody but basically the same brightness. I would say at 3 volts the brightness is slightly brighter than the LOW level on one of my stock XPG modules.

I also tested at 1.5 volts and the XPG was brighter than the XML but both could be used in a emergency lighting situation. I believe the reason the XPG is brighter is that the VF of the XPG is lower.

The way Will and I are working this at this time is if you want me to build your module go to his thread and buy the driver from him and have him send the drivers to me. The cost for me to build is the posted price on this thread for the emitter you want. If you choose a XPG then it will be $35 as posted, I am including potting for no upcharge on these modules. If you choose a XMl then it will be the standard $40. Shipping is included in the US as always.

As for emitters about any of the Cree emitters will work but if you looking for long lasting I think you will find that the lower VF emitters such as XPG or XPE will be brighter longer. This can be any of the tints that I stock and you can also use colors such as red .

Below are a couple of pictures of how I install the driver and how it will look finished once in place. You will not be able to tell a difference from a standard module.

First I seat the driver in AA to attach to the brass pill as below.
DSCF1513.jpg

The wires protruding through the top will be connected to the led's MCPCB and the wires protruding out the bottom of the pill
and the cavity will be filled with thermal epoxy and battery contact board is put in place. Once in place the spring and grounding solder is installed.

This leaves a module that looks like the pict below.

DSCF1521.jpg

Below is a beam shot of the XPG using a new primary at about 5 feet.
DSCF1524.jpg

As you can see it is fairly bright for a single primary.

Thanks

Dave

Last edited:

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^
What kind of hosts are people using these in?

If anyone wants to chime in ;)
Maybe I should've asked in the other thread.

HiCRI XPG would be nice in one o these. . .

blake-b

Newly Enlightened
Re: P60 modules -warm, neutral, cool white/XRE-XPE-XPG-S2-XML-U2 / P60 modules (part

Dave,

What is the brightest offering you have? I need another duty light with a single level and am looking at the best combination of throw plus spill. I already have an SST-90 (3 level) and an XML T6 1A tint 3 level.

I tried to PM you but CPF won't let me as I didn't necessarily want to muddy up the thread.

Blake

blake-b

Newly Enlightened

^^
What kind of hosts are people using these in?

If anyone wants to chime in ;)
Maybe I should've asked in the other thread.

HiCRI XPG would be nice in one o these. . .

I've got a couple of mine in bored 6Ps running 18650s and also have a solarforce host with same battery. I also have a G2 running a 17650 but I cannot remember exactly what drop in is in it.

AMkrew

Newly Enlightened

Here's what I need:

1 level 1.7 amp neutral/cool XRE with both optics (tight beam assembled) potted to be used in a solarforce L2 with 1x18650 or 2 primaries. $45.00

2 spare smo reflectors (for different pills I already have) $?.??

Shipping $5.00

Let me know my total, I'll paypal asap. Thanks again for all your assistance!

leadsled9

Newly Enlightened

Dave,

I received my drop in yesterday. Thanks for the fast shipping.

I'm going to like this drop in as the tint is perfect and the beam is great with the smooth reflector. This is definately the most versatile of all of my lights. The high mode is definately the brightest of all my p60 lights....and it heat syncs great with the copper tape you provided.

Great workmanship.

dlmorgan999

Flashlight Enthusiast

:paypal: for the following configuration
  • Cree XM-L U2 flux bin 1C 6500k+ Cool White
  • 3 level Low / Med / High Regulated (w/memory, 2.8-6 volts, 3.1 amps)
  • OP reflector
  • Drop-in is $40 + $5 for potting with copper tape
  • Driven with one 18650 in a TnC Products custom titanium host

PayPal would only allow me to pay using credit card which wasn't my preference :confused:, but I included 4% extra anyway.

Last edited:

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a couple of mine in bored 6Ps running 18650s and also have a solarforce host with same battery. I also have a G2 running a 17650 but I cannot remember exactly what drop in is in it.

Thanks- I don't think you can run the new super low voltage modules I was asking about over 3volts.

yifu

Enlightened

Thanks- I don't think you can run the new super low voltage modules I was asking about over 3volts.
Hey psychbeat! People run these (at least i will soon) run this in a C2 with a oveready 15mm battery spacer and a AA sleeve! You can also use a 35mm spacer in a 6P/z2/c2 and a CR123! You can get the 15mm spacer from oveready and the 35mm from AW( must be used with a 18mm sleeve to prevent short circuit!)

Of course if you got a 3P or a solarforce L2M you can fit a CR123 as is.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^^thanks homie I'll look into that.
All of my hosts are 18650 - maybe ill get a short tube.

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast

Dave,

What is the brightest offering you have? I need another duty light with a single level and am looking at the best combination of throw plus spill. I already have an SST-90 (3 level) and an XML T6 1A tint 3 level.

I tried to PM you but CPF won't let me as I didn't necessarily want to muddy up the thread.

Blake

Hi Blake

Unless you step the amperage on the XML up you have the two most powerful emitters for modules. A XMl in a smooth reflector is a much better thrower than a SST 90, I am not sure if your T6 is a smooth or a lop but at this time a U2 flux XML with a smooth reflector is the best I have. You did not specify what batts you are using but if primaries I would not want to push the XML much past 2.8 amps as there could be problems with batts. If using a 18650 then we could go to 3.5 amps.

Dave

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here's what I need:

1 level 1.7 amp neutral/cool XRE with both optics (tight beam assembled) potted to be used in a solarforce L2 with 1x18650 or 2 primaries. $45.00

2 spare smo reflectors (for different pills I already have) $?.??

Shipping $5.00

Let me know my total, I'll paypal asap. Thanks again for all your assistance!

HI

I am sorry but right now I am very short on smooth reflector, I have more on order but it could be a month and they have become much more popular than before XML's.

Sorry.
The config you want is not a problem and your pricing is correct.

Dave

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast

^^^thanks homie I'll look into that.
All of my hosts are 18650 - maybe ill get a short tube.

Hi

For any of you having questions about the vampire modules just PM and I probably can give some good suggestions.

OK one option is go to nites thread on market place and purchase a FM style 1XAA, another might be is see if WILL will make up a 18650 to AA adapter for your bored 1X18650 while purchasing his driver.
Now if you plan on using a 1XCR123 primary then you could get a dummy cell that I carry for $4 and use any conventional 6p or C2 and such or if you have a 3P it will work or again I am sure Nite carries 3P style. I also believe he has 2XAA P60 host that are built on FM's designs.

I am sure there are other options out there but those are a few that I know of.

Dave

chewy78

Enlightened

This might be a stupid question but what is the potting with copper tape? I was wondering if there might be any beam shots of what 5000k or 4300k looks like in an xml. i dont want something with too much of a blueish tint nor too yellowish if that makes sense lol .. Is 4300k kinda neutral? i want something warmer than my so called 5 mode ultrafire drop in that came in a cheap citipower x3 light but slighter cooler than a p90 lamp i use in a l2x i have if that makes sense. I would be using your drop- in my solarforce l2p powered by eagletac 3100mah 18650 if i order one thanks. How many otf lumens opprox with those 2 tints? 550-600? or more?

Last edited:

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast

This might be a stupid question but what is the potting with copper tape? I was wondering if there might be any beam shots of what 5000k or 4300k looks like in an xml. i dont want something with too much of a blueish tint nor too yellowish if that makes sense lol .. Is 4300k kinda neutral? i want something warmer than my so called 5 mode ultrafire drop in that came in a cheap citipower x3 light but slighter cooler than a p90 lamp i use in a l2x i have if that makes sense. I would be using your drop- in my solarforce l2p powered by eagletac 3100mah 18650 if i order one thanks. How many otf lumens opprox with those 2 tints? 550-600? or more? im thinking a t5 bin

Hi

As I posted on the first page potting is the filling of the electronics cavity of the brass pill with thermal epoxy. This helps with thermal management and shock, the copper tape can be used to shim reflector to fit the host snugly especially in solarforce products. It should not be so tight as to force it in just slightly snug to help pass heat to the host.

None of my tints have blues or purples but the U2's are coolwhite. The 3C is more a daylight white and the neutrals will be a bit warmer than the 3C's below that and they will have the more incan or yellow look.

You are correct on the T5 as it should be about 600 lumens OTF

Dave

leadsled9

Newly Enlightened

Dave,

Happy Easter!

I liked your drop in so much I have to order another one. Paypal sent for:

led = XML U2 flux bin 1C 6500k+ Cool White
driver = 2.8-6 volt regulated; 3 mode (High, Med, Low) with memory; 2.8 amps
reflector = Smooth
Additional $5 for potting and tape
Total $40 + $5 = $45
Will be run in a bored Surefire C2 with 1X18650 or 2XCR123A primaries

jak3All3n

Newly Enlightened

Hi

Yes the levels are 100% / 40% / 5 %

Thanks

Dave

thanks dave, is it then safe to assume that the tail currents of a 2.8a xm-l module would be 140ma on low, 1.12a on medium and 2.8a on high? i ask because i was trying to estimate otf lumens on low and medium based on the chart here http://budgetlightforum.com/node/2603, measuring the tail current on 2 of my nb dropins turned up ~110ma on low, ~900ma on medium? and ~2.7a on high. are those typical numbers? the high looks right, it's the low and medium that puzzle me.

Last edited:

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast

thanks dave, is it then safe to assume that the tail currents of a 2.8a xm-l module would be 140ma on low, 1.12a on medium and 2.8a on high? i ask because i was trying to estimate otf lumens on low and medium based on the chart here http://budgetlightforum.com/node/2603, measuring the tail current on 2 of my nb dropins turned up ~110ma on low, ~900ma on medium? and ~2.7a on high. are those typical numbers? the high looks right, it's the low and medium that puzzle me.

Hi

Yes your numbers are right, this batch of drivers are actually 100% / 30% / 5 % which will put you just about right on your measurements. There will be slight differences between batches of drivers so I would say yours are right.

Now you can use that chart on BLF for a guide but you will have trouble getting those lumens in a module, look at the heat sink he is using plus a 20mm pad. With the kind of heat sink he is using he will add quite a few lumens since most of our lumen loss is lack of heat sinking in a P60 and this will occur NO MATTER what I or any of us do as far as filling of pill. It is a good guide but yours will not do quite that good becuase of heat sinking.

Dave

zilingz

Newly Enlightened

Hi

They are simply different amperage

Dave

Is that means 30% more light compared to 1.4A?
And is there some restrictions in running time?

jalcon

Newly Enlightened

Hi,

I just bought a bored (18650) C2 host. My knowledge on drop-ins is pretty limited, and it seems that the guy above me a few posts ordered what is probably the best lumen/throw setup, correct?

led = XML U2 flux bin 1C 6500k+ Cool White
driver = 2.8-6 volt regulated; 3 mode (High, Med, Low) with memory; 2.8 amps
reflector = Smooth
Additional $5 for potting and tape
Total $40 + $5 = $45
Will be run in a bored Surefire C2 with 1X18650 or 2XCR123A primaries

I will also be using either 1X18650 or 2XCR123A primaries, does it matter which? I also have no idea what 2.8-6 volt regulated, 2.8 amps is refering too haha, and if that's also what I want. I is newb. What is the tape and potting for?

Thanks, and again sorry for the very basic questions on stuff I should probably already know.

Status
Not open for further replies.