Pak-Lite 9v LED light - what do you think ?

JedSmith

Newly Enlightened
I got an email reply from Pak-Lite. Now they use the Duracell Ultra lithium 9v batteries for their Ultra model lights.

The Joule Thief type set-ups look interesting. I haven't played with electronics for a long time. Might have to break out the soldering iron and put something together (if I ever find the time!)

What would be sweet is an off the shelf "Run Forever Flashlight" that could be switched to Joule Thief mode when needed.

Last edited:

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Joule Thief type set-ups look interesting. I haven't played with electronics for a long time. Might have to break out the soldering iron and put something together (if I ever find the time!)

Then you could just build your own Pak-Lite. 3 position switch, two LEDs, two resistors, hot glue or epoxy and the case from a spent 9V battery. The simplest 1 mode you could make is two 5mm LED's driven at 20mA using a 100 Ohm resistor.

The idea of using an old 9V battery as the terminals come from here : http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...omemade-torch-Mk1-amp-Mk2-%A31-50-%28-2-75%29

Really simple to make and I've made one from all scavenged parts. Only cost was solder and hot glue

JedSmith

Newly Enlightened
Then you could just build your own Pak-Lite. 3 position switch, two LEDs, two resistors, hot glue or epoxy and the case from a spent 9V battery. The simplest 1 mode you could make is two 5mm LED's driven at 20mA using a 100 Ohm resistor.

The idea of using an old 9V battery as the terminals come from here : http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?133569-My-9v-2-led-homemade-torch-Mk1-amp-Mk2-%A31-50-%28-2-75%29

Really simple to make and I've made one from all scavenged parts. Only cost was solder and hot glue

Thanks Mr. Floppy for posting that link & for your comments. That looks simple to do.

Bronco

Enlightened
One potential word of caution regarding the Safe-Lite/Pal-Lite products. I've owned mine for many years, so things may have changed since, but it will definitely accept the newer 9v lithium primaries. The corners of the body of the lithium 9v batteries that I purchased are much more squared off and not radiused nearly as much as your standard 9v battery and it just won't slide into the rubber body.

BIG45-70

Enlightened
I received my paklite today. It's one cool peice of kit. Small, light, durable and much brighter then I expected. It is expensive for what it is but appears to be worth every penny. Mines going to sit in my travel bag and I'm gonna pick up another to use as a nightstand lamp. It's about the prefect amount of light for me to get ready in the morning without disturbing the wife.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received my paklite today. It's one cool peice of kit. Small, light, durable and much brighter then I expected. It is expensive for what it is but appears to be worth every penny. Mines going to sit in my travel bag and I'm gonna pick up another to use as a nightstand lamp. It's about the prefect amount of light for me to get ready in the morning without disturbing the wife.

The Pak-Lite and the Bricklite are both pretty cool. They'll both end up in my emergency bag, along with my camping candle lantern as emergency backups. :D

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love Pak-Lites. We have many of them. (I'm only talking about the Originals and Supers, NOT THE BASICS)

They come in a bazillion LED colors and combinations of colors within one light and their runtime is fabulous. They are also 9V vampires.

The package is so small and discrete that few are hip enough to steal them in the workplace. Theatre techies love them.

Mrs Umbra and I have done many, many things with them, too numerous to list here. One example would be to mount a strip of Velcro on one that then may be completely hidden by sticking it to the underside of a table for emergency use by staff in case of a power failure in a theatre packed with people.

These are great lights which I have personally used extensively during the greatest natural disaster in modern North American history and also gifted to numerous greatful techies.

I have a Pak-Lite with cyan LEDs by my bed that is running off a used 9V battery pulled from a body mic years and years and years ago after a performance. The "use by" date on the cell is 2008. Its putting out about 7.5V. I tail stand it on the table so it won't hurt the light if it leaks (although my alkalines almost never leak). In my experience Pak-Lites will drain a battery pulled from a smoke detector or other device to the point where about 40% of them will terminate by blowing some of the cells out through the bottom with a pop. We have boxes of pulled 9V cells that are not leaking that are waiting their turn in a Pak-Lite.

I have never bought a battery for use in a Pak-Lite.

For us, they are well worth the price.

The closest I come to criticism would be to repeat my request for a "Covert" version, along the lines of what has been done with the Photon Freedom.

Last edited:

Shaquanda

Newly Enlightened
Good little light, I love this forum. Things I never would have found on my own. I will get a few of these for my kit and they beat the heck out of candles.