Panasonic NCR18650 (2900 mAh) & Pila IBC Experience: Very Warm.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where do you get your NCR18650? I heard that there're a lot of fake cells out there in the market. I have 8 NCR18650s. All of them works great with my H60s and SC60s. I use only Pila IBC charger as well.

hazna

Enlightened
Maybe I'll get interested in this again after 4sevens gets his charger fixed and on the market, and can figure out a way to use the headlamps only when SWMBO isn't around, but this Pila is going back. Haven't decided what to do with the cells yet.

I don't know if the 4sevens charger is necessarily gonna be better than the pila ibc

Where do you get your NCR18650? I heard that there're a lot of fake cells out there in the market. I have 8 NCR18650s. All of them works great with my H60s and SC60s. I use only Pila IBC charger as well.

From some other threads, I believe he got his ncr18650 cells from hkequipment. If you know of any other dealers who sell genuine batteries around this price, please let me know... I would be interested in getting some

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
hkequipment is responsive...I'll report their customer service for you. Still playing out.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
4 of my 8 NCR18650 were from hkequipment. All of them works great with my Pila IBC charger.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
They accepted a return rather cheerfully. But no explanation or even guesses as to the issue...probably want to examine it first.

Makitamike

Newly Enlightened
One thing you could do to test the capacity is take the cells to a local Batteries Plus store depending where you live. They have machines to do capacity tests on all types of cells. My guess is the cells you purchased have little to no capacity left and that is why they are getting hot. I don't know of a reputable place that sells individual cells because of the danger involved. Charger was probably fine the output can vary depending on the state of the cell.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, hkequipment has refunded. (Originally bought through their ebay store.) No communication with them re: the problem.

applevalleyjoe

Newly Enlightened
Mohave Desert (Apple Valley), California, USA
Similar problem here. Dug out my Pila which I haven't used in over a year. Popped in an AW going on its second recharge. Battery got fairly warm. Second battery was allegedly a new Panasonic 18650B. This one got EXTREMELY hot...The Pila itself was very warm and ESPECIALLY hot around the plug area. I can't remember having these problens before. I'm wondering if I have the right cord. I both called and emailed Pila USA. In response to my call they told me that they didn't sell cords separately but that I was welcome to buy ANOTHER charger! What nerve... also, they've never answered my emails. I've had issues with neither Xtar nor Nitecore chargers...so much for the vaunted Pila excellence!!

Last edited:

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't believe no one has asked this yet. There are multiple versions of the NCR18650. At least three, in a quick search. NCR18650PF, NCR18650PD, NCR18650A are all 2900 mAh unprotected cells. There may be others I am not aware of. Which ones are we talking about here?