Peak LED press release:

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the link, dano.

Who ever it was (and I'm in the dark on this one - so to speak), they apparently had patents, trademarked items, or other intellectual property upon which Peak was infringing. So don't feel too sorry for Peak. Of course, Peak might say that the cost of litigation was the dispositive factor in their decision, but thats usually horse hockey. Interesting.

Whatever happened, its a shame for the consumer. All of a sudden, I'm wanting a multi-LED Peak!

best regards

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
If there was some specific design feature (like a circuit or mounting fixture or something) that Peak was infringing, I would agree. If it was some look and feel kind of thing like having the lettering go around the head, then I have a problem with most of those patents.

Apple wasn't able to keep MicroSoft out of the windows look and feel way back when, and if MS could copy that, then Arc, or Peak, or whomever, should be able to have complete discretion in designing the appearance of their products.

I don't know the answer, but it sure feels to me like this all [paraphrase word for: inhales sharply].

BBL

Enlightened
So, who was it?

Can someone tell me why the would be denied to sell multi-led flashlights?

linerlock

Newly Enlightened
I have no first hand knowledge of this situation so anything I have to say would be pure speculation on my part. However, since the affected product lines are all multi-LED configurations, I suspect that the company in question here is Inova. There are other multi-LED lights out there but Peak's offerings must be a bit too close to the venerable X5's form factor for Inova's comfort.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unbelievable - this is a lawsuit over their using multiple LED's? On another forum someone seemed to think it was Inova - but I wouldn't take that as gospel since it was probably speculation. I can't believe they would try to prevent Peak or anyone else from using multiple LED's - that in itself is ridiculous. I see this as an attempt only to take out the biggest competition they have. Peak IS big - look at the line of all the models they have. Someone is using a lawsuit just to try to block competiton IMHO. Totally screwed up. This is actually very weird. I've been trying to get a Peak McKinley for over 2 months now. First I tried through TadGear. Nothing happened for over a week so I called them and 3 out of 4 of the Peak lights I ordered there were out of stock with no idea of when they would get more so I canceled what they were out of. That's another story with Tadgear but let's just say that they still messed up what I did order. Then I ordered from Pocketlights.com and they were having multiple problems -- shipments lost etc. It was an ongoing problem for over a month and never got the lights so I asked for a refund. Another long wait and a bit of a problem but is probably finally resolved - still no lights(yes I know what Dave is going through and I'm sorry for that but the bottom line was I was not getting the product and even had trouble getting my money back). So I ordered directly from Peak last week but saw the order status was 'On Hold' so I called and talked to them a few days ago. Very friendly people. Said they had run out of that but had more going to the anodizer - but had one head and body left and they would send it out to me next morning. It's the McKinley 7 LED single CR123 light. Nothing has shown up yet so now I'm wondering if I'll ever get one. I did get some very good impressions while on the phone with Peak of the new 1 watt LS and 5 watt LS they have in the works. They said the 1 watt first run should be going out next week (50 of them I think). Sounds like a great light and should be a very good price also. They are also working on a fully variable output unit. Anyway I would very much like to know for sure which company is pulling this nonsense as I for one will definitely boycott anything they sell until it is proven they had a valid reason for this - which I seriously doubt.

Bright Scouter

Enlightened
Well,

Anyone guessing that they might just retool the product enough to get away from the look and feel. Then come up out with renamed lines of product? I hope!?!?!

AuroraLite

Enlightened
Well, that's a bummer. As a consumer, more choice is always a good thing. Let's hope Peak could summon up some new design or bring out good design with Lux I or III in them. Good luck!

Dandrop

Newly Enlightened
I for one did not expect this to happen. Their Mckinley line was featured in the Forbes Mag as one of hottest item to get. I thought that at least the Mckinley would keep Peak busy and provide a constant stream of funds for them.

MJ of Peakled seems to be taking the whole situation in stride. She has responded to this in another thread found here: MJ of Peak speaks

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a hint as to who is suing - It's a big company - a $40 Million dollar company that sells hundreds of thousands of lights. They are worried about Peak who sells a couple thousand a year. While Peak is growing and I suspect would give them some serious competition in the future I think it's just a case of Big Biz trying to crush the little guy before he get's in the way of their profits. Do I know who the company above is? No - but I do know the above info is very close to correct. I'm still investigating for further info. I just hate it when big companies pull this nonsense.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know who the company is. I though it may have been Emmissive Energy (a.k.a Inova). But that's only speculation.

-dan

newo

Newly Enlightened
Emissive is privately held. So they do not have any SEC requirements to report such things as significant litigation relating to any claimed intellectual property. Hard information, therefore, will be difficult to obtain.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
What big company has been making multi-LED models for a long time? Inova, CC, and? I'd assume Inova but who knows.

Just looking at the press release, I can't believe a major company like Peak can't find someone to proofread their documents. Got an editor in the house?

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I have always wanted to buy some of their lights, and now's as good a time as any. These are the ones I like...

Peak Matterhorn Hi-Power 3 - stainless - snow white
Peak Kilimanjaro Hi-Power 3 - HA III black - snow white
Peak McKinley Hi-Power 3 - HA III black - snow white
Peak Shasta Hi-Power 3 - brass - snow white

I think I have a place to get them. Fingers crossed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Well this stinks! I'm pretty good at procrastination...I snooze, I lose! Ever since Silverfox showed me a couple of his, I've been meaning to put an order in, hopefully use my discount certificate left from "The Big Drawing" we had...now I'm bummed!