Pet likes - the opposite of pet peeves

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
People who are obviously having a hard time themselves but who take the time to remember and help others.

Keeping warm while reading a good book on a cold night.

Finding a favorite old movie is on when battling insomnia.

The smell of the air after a summer thunderstorm in the middle of the night -- watching the storm roll in is also pretty neat.

When the crappy radio station fades out while you're driving on a long trip and a favorite but really obscure tune fades in -- much better than the other way 'round, isn't it?

Smiling babies with fat, toothless grins.

(This will make sense to a few people and not to some others, but that's OK. You either get it or you don't). Not being "John Wayne" all the time, but maybe a little bit more "Jimmy Stewart." A little of both is good, too. Seeing it in others is very cool.

That hot and dry feeling you get when the weather is really, really cold but the super bright sunshine has heated up the car.

Getting your coffee just right (the right type of coffee, the right tempertature, the right amount of cream and/or sugar) and actually getting to drink it before someone interrupts your morning.

Finding that $5 bill you forgot you put in that jeans pocket, then hearing the bell, and the feeling you get when you drop it in that red kettle at Christmas time.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Little kids(esp. my "godson"), big dogs, Milo's tea, Blue Bell ice cream, Dean Koontz books, 800 thread count sheets, custom knives, rollover minutes, playing cards with my parents, anything my grandmother cooks, getting and giving massages, Milwaukee tools, stainless appliances, Olympic weights, driving when there's no traffic, my neighbors..and on and on.
Great thread. It's refreshing to sit here and think about positive things, instead of the negative ones that capture so much of our attention most of the time.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
We have three cats (all male) that hang around work. One loves me to pieces, and the other two are pretty close. This is KEWL!

I had to go down and around and around and down 'til I ran out of room at the end of town to fix a pressure washer. It was a kewl place and a KEWL dude. We talked for an hour about this that and the other thing after I fixed it! And that was KEWL!

A good book to read when CPF has the heeby geebys is KEWL!!!!

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mednanu said:
One word....Redheads.
I agree, but, for me personally, I would have to add blondes and brunettes.
grinser2.gif

Canuke

Enlightened
Macaw said:
People who like me for my finer points and look beyond my many character flaws. They are special! :eek:

Especially when one of them is your (my) fiancé :D

I'm surprised at how many of mine are already here, in particular the ones about goosebump music, the smell of rain and the aftermath, and cinnamon buns.

Oh, and wide open spaces with a road in it, a convertible on that road, and me in the convertible. Was once, and shall be again.

myk

Enlightened
Personally, I'm a fan of:

- Blondes
- Computers without so much crap on them that they goooooooo sloooooooooooowwwwww
- Driving FFFFFFFAST but still being in control
- Any chance I get to honk my horn WITH A GOOD REASON (someone elses fault)
- Flying HOME in first class - it's pretty useless to have free drinks on your way to work, but on the way home...
- Frequent flier miles. I earned, the hard way, about 550,000 miles last year - thats 22 domestic round trips that I can take/give to my family as needed

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Discharging firearms at printed paper targets.

The smell of a firing range. It may be funky and slightly toxic, but it means happy times.

Petting a friendly dog, then walking away and smelling my hands. Same as above: not actually a pleasant smell, but makes me very happy.

Petting a dog so properly and thoroughly that they gradually lean closer and closer to the ground until they're lying on their back and getting a tummy rub, with their eyes barely open. It's like they're hypnotized or something.

Looking my dog right in the eye and asking him questions in a very serious voice and watching him tilt his head further and further as he listens.

When my dog is relaxing on the sofa, sees me approaching him, and twists onto his back with his paws in the air in preparation for a tummy rub.

Dogs' and cats' whiskers.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Pretty much concur with Tigerhawk, especially about Firearms and freindly dogs!

Getting almost 750 miles from a tank of fuel in my '03 Ram 2500 CTD!

Seeing somebody BESIDES Tony Shumacher win top fuel!

Grapes!

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Saying "beg your pardon." It feels like the opposite of "move it or lose it." It feels all old-fashioned.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pet like #3 - the person who lets me out into traffic. Another one I try to do whenever I get the chance. I'm trying to get out of the gas station, or parking lot, and there is wall to wall cars as far as the eye can see. It makes my day when someone holds back and motions me to get in front of them.
I do this often. I figure a car-length or two won't make a world of difference for me, but it could make the difference for the nerves of the poor sod who has to get in the seemingly impassable flow of cars.

Or when I see people who have to cross the road on the zebras, and nobody's stopping to let them (not an uncommon sight here in the land of spaghetti), I'll put my bike in the middle of the road (as opposed to the right side where cars can easily pass me by), stop, force the cars behind me to stop as well, and let the people cross.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
women with no adam apples. woohoo they rule

Last edited:

Galiphrey

Enlightened
women with no adam apples? heheheh Well, me too. :)

I like the rain. -especially a rainy night. Also, the smell of coffee. And the smell of fresh-cut grass.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Tigerhawk, I like your comments about dogs. I can relate. There's something special about having an animal trust you so much that they'll allow you to give them a tummy rub.

I saw a woman with a dog a couple of years ago. I approached the dog to say 'hi' and noticed that he had probably been abused - he shied away from me with his head down and tail between his legs. So I backed off a moment, then gently and carefully re-approached him, allowing him to sniff the back of my hand for a moment. I kneeled down to his level and spoke to him softly, offering praise while I judged whether it was ok to pet him. He allowed me to touch him this time, so I stroked him under the chin while continuing to praise him quietly. He gradually loosened up, and before it was over he had his head up and was smiling in the way that dogs smile - open mouth, tongue drooping and half-closed eyes. That was such a special feeling to be able to show that dog that not all humans are bad. I hope he remembers that moment - I will.

e2x2e

Enlightened
Tucking my children in at night and giving them a kiss and telling them goodnight.
Hearing the foot steps of my 1 year old walking down the hallway (hard wood floors).
Hearing the most beautiful words in the world from my children "I love you daddy."
I love just watching my wife. She is as beautiful as the day we met 20 years ago.
Cars stopping to show respect when meeting a funeral procession. I have never seen a car around here not stop in my life. It shows that there is still respect for others suffering.
The Cop who salutes the cars as they drive into the cemetery.
Drivers who wave when you meet them.
People who help others.
I love the smell of a pipe even though I don't smoke.
I love hearing old people tell stories of days gone by.
I love old houses. I always wonder what stories they hold. How many children grew up there. Where are they now. Every home has a story that is uniquely its own. A story that will never be told or known except by the people who lived there.
When I was a land surveyor I always liked finding an old house site way back in the woods that the world had forgotten about. Sometimes you could still see the ruts made by wagon wheels leading up to the house site. And most of the time there were Easter lily's still growing in an outline of the house.

There are many more of course including many that have already been mentioned.

Talking to a person or hearing things with which you are in complete agreement. I like you, LifeNRA, we think the same way :). I love old houses, and for that matter anything ABANDONED. I love thinking about what went on there...this goes for abandoned railroads, airports, houses...

People who have their headlights aimed properly.

People who turn ON their headlights not just when they need to see, but when other people need to see them.

Kerosene lamps and other diesel powered doohickies.

Properly aimed headlights are a serious safety concern, and I get MAD when people drive on the highway with their high beams on or their headlights properly aligned. Turning on headlights is also a great idea to make your car more visible, and it shows that a person is conscientious.
I love the smell of diesel/kerosene fuel, by the way.

Seeing things like "who" and "whom" used appropriately.

Full sentences.

Irony.

:laughing:

So do I. I think that capitalization of "i" and using proper grammar online shows a lot about a person.

People who thank soldiers and their families for their service, especially when you can tell that they have some notion of the hardships.

Me too. It shows that a person isn't ignorant and self-centered.

The smell of a firing range. It may be funky and slightly toxic, but it means happy times.

Yup. I love that smell.

My add-ons:

Accidentally finding something you've been looking for but forgot about.

I like looking at my lawn after I mow it, admiring the straight, orderly lines.

Getting a good laugh out of a 50 year old TV show. Sanford and Son, The Andy Griffith Show. The times when TV shows were quality productions.

Winter. Snow. The woods. Kayaking on a still, quiet lake. Getting up really early in the morning to do something exciting.

When things just work. A rare but pleasurable occurrence.

A really good friend. Terribly hard to come by.

Owning something you know you can use and hand down to your children.

Explaining something to somebody and having them understand.

Watching little kids play and talk to each other or themselves.

Holding a baby.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I STILL enjoy getting 700+ miles from a tank of diesel.

A really good friend is tough to get, but golden!

I LOVE kids but since I have none of my own I also love when they go home with their parents!

I LOVE it when a 4 or 5 shot group goes into one bughole!