Philips Lamps Now at Pep Boys

robertkoa

Newly Enlightened
I hope that being marketed by Philips, the LED 1156 and 1157 replacements would be pretty good. (I have a lot of their LED products in my house.)

My old 944 uses 7506 (P21W) bulbs in the rear for turn, stop and backup. It also uses 7528 (P21/5W) in front for the marker and turn signal. These are more or less equivalent to 1156 and 1157. Not sure if Philips would qualify a near 30 year old car model, but one could always hope. I have already tried one (non Philips) LED 1156 replacement and it was clearly not as bright as the 7506. (Yes, it was a red LED shining through a red tail light lens.) So the 7506 went right back in.

My search about performance of this bulb 1157 LED at Pep Boys vs.
stock filament replacement led me here to this thread per Google.
My right brake light is out so will replace and thought of LED for brighter slightly or maybe a slight color change.

The 1157 Philips LED bulb is available in Florida but is red versus an
1157 Crystal Vision that is white.
And I have stock red lenses also...
so LED would defeat the purpose.
*NOTE -this is only on the Pep Boys site so I should check on Philips site to be sure.

Too bad because a bit of extra brightness or a slight amber color change when I apply the brakes would not hurt.

For example as a kid in New York State the police cars had red revolving lights on the roof..
When I first came to Florida - I noticed they were blue -which really stands out much more.

Eventually..they may color code brake lights if it's uniform -maybe more amber when brakes are engaged ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
My search about performance of this bulb 1157 LED at Pep Boys vs.
stock filament replacement led me here to this thread per Google.
My right brake light is out so will replace and thought of LED for brighter slightly or maybe a slight color change.

The 1157 Philips LED bulb is available in Florida but is red versus an
1157 Crystal Vision that is white.
And I have stock red lenses also...
so LED would defeat the purpose.
*NOTE -this is only on the Pep Boys site so I should check on Philips site to be sure.
They have red and white versions; this shouldn't seem anomalous.

Too bad because a bit of extra brightness or a slight amber color change when I apply the brakes would not hurt.
Stop lamps already have extra brightness compared to the tail lamps. There should not be a color change-- just an intensity change. A color change WOULD hurt. Red is the only correct color for stop lamps.

For example as a kid in New York State the police pars had red revolving lights on the roof..
When I first came to Florida - I noticed they were blue -which really stands out much more.
But has nothing to do with tail and stop lamp colors.

Eventually..they may color code brake lights if it's uniform -maybe more amber when brakes are engaged ?
Stop lamps are already color-coded. They are red.

fastgun

Enlightened
Many states allow amber for stop lamps. A few of these states allow this only for antiques, but the majority do not have any such restrictions.
For instance, allow me to quote Oklahoma statute Title 47, Chapter 12, Article 2, Section 12-206.

A. Every vehicle shall be equipped with at least two stop lamps which shall meet the requirements of this section.
B. The stop lamps required by this section:
1. Shall be mounted on the rear of the vehicle at the same level, as far apart as practicable, and at a height of not more than seventy-two (72) inches nor less than fifteen (15) inches;
2. Shall display a red or amber light, or any shade of color between red and amber, visible from a distance of not less than five hundred (500) feet to the rear in normal sunlight; and
3. Shall be actuated upon application of the brakes.
C. If so equipped in its original design and manufacture, every motor vehicle shall be additionally equipped with a center high-mounted stop lamp located on the vertical center line above the level of the stop lamps described in this section which shall display a red light, visible from a distance of not less than five hundred (500) feet to the rear in normal sunlight, and which shall be actuated upon application of the brakes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many states allow amber for stop lamps. A few of these states allow this only for antiques, but the majority do not have any such restrictions.
For instance, allow me to quote Oklahoma statute Title 47, Chapter 12, Article 2, Section 12-206.

No states can permit amber stop lamps on vehicles manufactured on or after January 1, 1968, so OSS §47-12-206 isn't exactly meaningful.

fastgun

Enlightened
There are a few states that restrict the use of amber brake lights to vehicles made on or after January 1, 1979.

Edit:
The above should read "restrict the use of amber brake lights ON vehicles made on or after January 1, 1979."

California is one state that uses this date.

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
There are a few states that restrict the use of amber brake lights to vehicles made on or after January 1, 1979.

That doesn't sound right. There are states that restrict the use of amber stop lamps to vehicles made before a certain date, though. The relevant SAE standard permitted stop lamps to be red or yellow ("amber") until 1970, but in practice amber stop lamps were almost never installed on vehicles. There were a few British cars with them in the 1950s and early '60s, and maybe one or two others, but by the time FMVSS 108 took effect in 1968 with red as the only acceptable color, red had been the only color in use for years.

The Federal preemption provision says any state vehicle equipment regulation must be identical to the Federal regulation dealing with the same kind of vehicle equipment, and that any aspect of a state regulation that is not identical to the Federal regulation is null and void. In theory, this runs both directions; it says "identical" so a state can't have a standard that has tighter, looser, or different technical requirements vs. the Federal standard. In practice, though, at the practical level it means states can't have a standard that is tighter or different, because enforcing state standards is left to the states. Many states' vehicle equipment codes are quite a lot looser than the Federal standard. Some states still have old language on the books allowing yellow stop lights, but it would be foolish to modify a car's stop lights to make them amber. Not only does it greatly increase the chances of being badly hit in traffic (because of the nonstandard signal) but it also means high likelihood of getting a ticket, definitely in another state, but quite possibly even in-state from an officer who might well write the ticket despite the provision allowing yellow stop lights.

What definitely can't be enforced is state standards that are tighter than the Federal standard. A state couldn't require yellow rear turn signals, because the Federal standard allows red or yellow. A state couldn't require turn signal repeaters, because the Federal standard doesn't require them. Old state standards limiting headlight bulbs to 32 candlepower, etc, are not enforceable; they would make every vehicle on the road noncompliant.

But I'm not completely sure how we got distracted by amber stop lights. Robertkoa, if you were to use LED bulbs (which you should be careful about, because there's not yet such a bulb that works effectively, legally, and safely in every/any lamp, see here and here. If you do wind up trying LED bulbs, the correct strategy is red LEDs behind red lenses.

Latest posts