Philips MPXL-DL50 on eBay for cheap

XeVision

Banned
That_Guy said:
Is this the 35/50W and 50/75W ballast that you've mentioned earlier?

We may use it for the 35/50 watt version but not the 50/75. It is not large enough to fit 75 watt componentry.

We will probably use it in other products/markets 1st. But, we have many complex decisions to make over the next few months. Its really a matter of priorities. We have many HID products and markets to serve, somehow we must decide who or what markets get things first. We are unveiling 7 or 8 new products this year spread around in 4 types of markets, We are very busy to say the least.

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
some on around here some where mentioned the phillips
rp50

RP50/35 MPXL Philips non automotive special bulb for coupling light into fiber optics with elliptical reflektor. Bulb might be also applicalbe for lights on helmets, small torch heads or projection light optics.

unquote

nucon hid lots of info here

http://www.nuconverter.de/ehid.html

automotive hid faq

http://faqlight.carpassion.info/hl-hid-bulbs.htm

The main developer of automotive HID bulbs, Philips, has a 50W HID bulb (Product name: MPXL-DL50) and supporting ballast readily developed. Per fall 2002, there was no automatic shutdown on these ballasts. Output is around 5300lm. Inserting this bulb into a vehicle lamp designed for the 35W HID bulb gives more some more output, but its not a huge difference

unquote

I think cpf needs a seperate hid forum.

XeVision

Banned
RP50 has an integral reflector (MR-16 sized) 50 mm diam. reflector (eliptical not parabolic) for fibre optic applications. I also use these for some of my customers. It also uses a P32d base.

I know all about these other forums.

For a few years Mostly some years ago individuals tried using DL-50 in cars. It is illegal DOT etc. for headlighting because it is much too bright. Philips did make a small run of ballasts (samples) for off road use 50 watt applications. The interest was not great enough so they dropped it 3-4 years ago. I have 2 of thes ballasts.

I believe!! the DL35 is for dental applications, UV curing light they don't use UV blocking quartz on it for this application.

I don't have time right now to tell you how to do different colored text.

Last edited:

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you use word or something for colored text.

the phillips duv 35 is a uv bulb

I think the phillips dl35 is a premium version of the 85122

I like my phillips dl35's

XeVision

Banned
QUOTE=markdi the phillips duv 35 is a uv bulb. Yes, I agree you are absolutely right.

I think the phillips dl35 is a premium version of the 85122 You could be correct, I believe this is no longer made either.

I like my phillips dl35's. Do you drive that at 50 watts?

Interestingly the photos on the Philips spec sheet for DL35 and 50 show a bulb that looks nothing like the DL-50 "fat boy." I also have a copy of it here with the same photos?????? Maybe the Photo is the DL35, I have never seen one, since you have a DL35 does it look like the photo and a std D2S?

I use blue because it makes it clear who said what when answers are mixed into the text of the questions. I believe, this provides better continuity of readability.

Last edited:

XeVision

Banned
markdi said:
I read that the dl35 and the dl50 were designed for fibre optics and operating room theatre lights

I believe those were secondary applications after development.

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
my dl35's are smaller than a dl50.

they look like a 85122

I only have 1 50 watt ballast.
I have never powered a dl35 to 50 watts.

I was just curious about the different colored text.

I can rebuild and modify car engines - audio - video gear
and computers but I am not an expert at the internet or forums.

my house is a big mess(no room or money to work on anything right now)(my sister and her 2 kids are living off of/with me right now)but I have a 35 watt ballast that I am going to try and modify to put out 75 watts.

it puts out around 75 or so watts during bulb warm up - run up.

Last edited:

XeVision

Banned
markdi said:
my dl35's are smaller than a dl50. I have a 35 watt ballast that I am going to try and modify to put out 75 watts. it puts out around 75 or so watts during bulb warm up - run up.

What brand of ballast is it? I might be able to give you some advice. As you probably know significant additional heatsinking will likely be required. Local to the source of heat not just the external case. Some of these efforts take a CPU cooling fan to handle the heat. Note, 50-75 watt ballasts usually require design from scratch for good reliability. They should also be at least 85% efficient so that there is not so much of a problem with heat.

Last edited:

That_Guy

Enlightened
XeVision,

Your 75W ballast was designed from the ground up to be 75W and does not require heatsinking like modded 35W automotive ballasts do, correct?

What is its efficiency, and how much power does it consume during warm-up / run-up?

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not know the brand

I got it at a auto salvage yard

It might say some where on it

I bet it would be better to start with a 50 watt ballast

I wonder what a dl50 would be like at 100 watts

how long would a 35 watt bulb last at 75 or 100 watts

do the 35 watt bulbs go snap crackle pop at 100 watts.

That_Guy

Enlightened
Both Marc at AE Light and XeVision have said that operation above 75W would require forced air cooling. So 100W would be possible, but it wouldn't be very practical. Would be very cool though - probably 11000 - 12000 lumens.

XeVision

Banned
That_Guy said:
Both Marc at AE Light and XeVision have said that operation above 75W would require forced air cooling. So 100W would be possible, but it wouldn't be very practical. Would be very cool though - probably 11000 - 12000 lumens.

Forced air cooling of the bulb. Probably the ballast as well.

XeVision

Banned
QUOTE=That_Guy XeVision in Blue

Your 75W ballast was designed from the ground up to be 75W and does not require heatsinking like modded 35W automotive ballasts do, correct? Yes, that is correct.

What is its efficiency, and how much power does it consume during warm-up / run-up? Efficiency relates to how much energy is lost in the ballast and results in heat created. Our 75W is better than 85%.