PhotonFest 2, NJ area get together

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Minor Tweaks!

In the interest of getting to learn about all sorts of lights, I've got an idea for a new twist in the quarry walk. What do you think about limiting the lights used on the walk INTO the quarry to Nichias and 1-watt Luxeons? That would give us a chance to see what the smaller lights can do. Once the big lights come out, everyone's night vision gets whacked and it's tough to get a true sense of how well the low-powered stuff performs. So what I propose is that you can BRING the big stuff into the quarry, but can only USE the 1-watters or less! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Once we're in the quarry itself, heck, pull 'em ALL out! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Hope this is okay with everybody. I think it will make the walk even better! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Incidentally, my MM+ R2H sandwiches might be up for sale or trade, depending on what you folks tempt me with! Maybe my Mr. Bulk LGI, too, if anyone has interest. Maybe more! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

The toughest challenge at PF2 might be the limited amount of time to see and do everything! This is gonna be cool. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

TOB9595, don't forget the $10 shortwave radio! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rich, some of us repeat attendees want to see the "again" lights once more, too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm glad someone has a Tigerlight to bring, since I've sold mine. I had to sell a couple things to pay for the gold McLux. I am going to bring as much as I can. I just need to find the foam for my dry case so I can pack the lights in without them clunking together. Otherwise, I will have to individually wrap them in bubble and that's a hassle.

The idea of only using 1W and Nichia's is great. One thing we will have going for us is it will be cooler out and some of the lights that get really hot will cool a little better.

I'm working on getting that UK HID light my friend has (he dives). I will also bring along a 24/7 and an X5T UV from my group buy.

I hope we can buy some more batt's and actually get them shipped by then.

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
Milky - The MM+R2H sandwiches you speak of, is that the heart of Mr. Blue? If so Don't forget that we have a deal in the works. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

PS - Like the low light idea for the walk.

ALL - I think we may need to bump up the start time for PF2. There seems to be a good number of guys coming, and along with the stuff from Don and from PK the show and tell portion will not want to be rushed, and may take a while. Also it will be getting darker earlier (daylight saving time will have ended), and natrually when it gets dark we are going to want to head outside. What do you guys think about moving up the start time by 1 hour to 12:00. ...showdown at high noon at the Milky Corral.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hey guys,

It sounds like you will have more than enough lights to overload yourselves with! I have a KL4 with 1W red as well as a KL4 with 5W RB. Do you want me to send these along to check out or is enough enough? I can also send a sample light with a 2W Nichia UV but unless you have items to fluoresce, all you see is a bit of the visible spectrum light that is produced; boring. BTW, it's a good idea to limit the use of the big guns because once they come out, the low end of the illumination tools gets ignored! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif At least that seemed to be the case at the CA meet.

- Don

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd be interested in a look at the UV and compare it to the Inova X5T UV's. I can't imagine how disturbing a 5W RB is.

By the way, I have an LED driven airport taxiway edge light as well as an LED powered aviation obstruction light I can bring. They just need household AC to run 'em.

I use the taxiway light without the tube and head to illuminate the A/C vent above my cubicle:

Blue_vent.jpg

richpalm

Banned
I'd go for noon... actually got a first mod to bring. LSH with a McFlood. Nothing much compared to what's coming but good for having used hand tools in front of the computer.

Thanks to ufokillerz procedure! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rich

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
That Pesky Start Time

Folks, I view this event as an informal gathering of friends in order not to stress myself out! The "formal" stuff just involves too much nail biting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif That means there's some flexibility in arrival time. I do think high noon makes sense... 12pm! But if some of you arrive a little later, so be it. I'd offer that 12pm through 1pm is sort of a "landing zone" in which everyone can show up without any real worries.

Speaking of such "worries," if you arrive later than 1pm there are two main possibilities for confusion as far as I can see, both involving arriving and finding no one there...

1. We've gone into town for something to eat. Stick around; we'll return soon! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. If it's after dark, we've probably left for the quarry. You're screwed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif (Let me know before PF2 if you want to attend but will arrive REALLY late.)

richpalm

Banned
[ QUOTE ]
ufokillerz said:
i am looking forard to this meet, looks like i'll have to find some transportation once again =\

[/ QUOTE ]

No problem with picking you up in Denville again. I owe you one now-I used your procedure to put a McFlood in an ARC and it worked out great! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Here's the latest: Just got an email from Mr. Bulk saying that he'll ship the Super LGI on Monday so we'll have that in time to bring also. Yiperee! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

Rich

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flashback! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I just posted some more photos from NJ Photon Fest #1 in the old thread over here. Take a look!

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
So far, it's all systems go here.

I had mentioned the taxiway edge light and obstruction light, but forgot that I have a 12" green ball and 12" green arrow LED traffic signal module(s) as well. Anyone interested in these at all?

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beretta, if it's not too much for you to carry, I'd like to see those traffic signal modules. Never seen one! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi Guys,

In addition to a McLux-PR-III and McL4-III head that will be for sale if someone is interested, I pulled out the following lights to send along if you want?

L4 with red 1W HD
L4 with Royal Blue 5W HD
L4 with bead blasted reflector (flood)
E2e with McLux head and Nichia 2W UV (flood)
L1 with 1W R2H and Fraen LP
3" SF turbo with 1W R2H

Should I send any of these or do you guys have enough to look at already? I will be boxing my stuff up with the lights PK provided and shipping them to Milkyspit tomorrow via Fed Ex. Let me know if you want to see any of these.

Thanks,

- Don

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
McGizmo, I'd be inclined to say send 'em all! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif (Variation on the unofficial CPF motto?)

It's always great to see how someone's modded a light, so toward that end, the more examples people see, the greater the chance that creative juices will flow and someone will feel inspired to make that next mod of their own.

(Of course, if anyone has some reason for Don NOT to send any of those lights he mentioned, speak now or forever hold your peace! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

Don, I don't have any UV lights, nor do I have experience with them. What is the best way to demonstrate the capability of those?

Also, I don't suppose you have any of those Japanese Panasonic headlamps we've seen discussed on CPF, which use the Nichia white 2W emitter...? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

One more request... do you have anything using a flexible stalk? I'd love to see how those work with an LED mounted on the end.

This is like making a list to send to Santa! But we don't have to wait for Christmas. WOOHOO! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Scott,

I'll take a look at what I have and see what I can add. I do have a National headlamp that I can send along; good call! As to the UV, white t-shirts and towels as well as other fluorescent materials and objects will show up under the UV. You can also check areas for urine, yuck! Obviously, this light is not a light to look into or use close to highly reflective surfaces!!!

- Don

ufokillerz

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
Scott,

I'll take a look at what I have and see what I can add. I do have a National headlamp that I can send along; good call! As to the UV, white t-shirts and towels as well as other fluorescent materials and objects will show up under the UV. You can also check areas for urine, yuck! Obviously, this light is not a light to look into or use close to highly reflective surfaces!!!

- Don

[/ QUOTE ]

are you going to include a price list of the McGizmo Gadgets when you send it =), that way we know how much it was if we wanted it and we can do a draw thing if more then 1 guy wants them, i'm sure that your willing to sell some of these /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
UFO,

The only items for sale are the McL4-III-DB100 ($130) and the McLux-PR(modified)-III-DB1000 ($115) The other items are just for show and tell and need to be returned ASAP along with PK's lights. If you only want me to send along stuff for sale at this time, the list will be short and easy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

- Don

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
You can also check areas for urine, yuck!

[/ QUOTE ]

Then I'd better not pee outside the night before the event! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Scott,

The evidence lasts longer than that! You may already be busted! Don't let your wife take the light in your bathroom either! Poor *midnight* aim can be confirmed! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

- Don