PIAA Nigh Tech vs Osram Rallye

pickler

Newly Enlightened
For H7 application on my projected subaru legacy im debating between osram rallye 65w and PIAA night tech. i could not find any specs on the PIAA but from the looks of it it seems to produce whiter light. however not sure how it performs against the osram. i dont mind sacrificing ~5% lumens to get whiter light.any recommendations would be apreciated. https://www.amazon.com/dр/B00544ZDDQ

Last edited by a moderator:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
For H7 application on my projected subaru legacy im debating between osram rallye 65w and PIAA night tech. i could not find any specs on the PIAA but from the looks of it it seems to produce whiter light. however not sure how it performs against the osram. i dont mind sacrificing ~5% lumens to get whiter light.any recommendations would be apreciated.https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00544ZDDQ/?tag=cpf0b6-20
:welcome:

This particular thread is a good example of why we have this sticky.

Perform a forum search using the "Google custom search" in the upper-right corner. Try phrases like "whiter light" "whiter H7" "crisp light". Look for "PIAA". Try "Subaru H7".

These searches will be revealing!

The Osram bulb will outperform the PIAA bulb. One thing (as your forum searches revealed) is that PIAA doesn't make their own bulbs, rather they have them made for them by whoever is the lowest bidder. The only thing PIAA manufactures is marketing.

Last edited:

pickler

Newly Enlightened
:welcome:

This particular thread is a good example of why we have this sticky.

Perform a forum search using the "Google custom search" in the upper-right corner. Try phrases like "whiter light" "whiter H7" "crisp light". Look for "PIAA". Try "Subaru H7".

These searches will be revealing!

The Osram bulb will outperform the PIAA bulb. One thing (as your forum searches revealed) is that PIAA doesn't make their own bulbs, rather they have them made for them by whoever is the lowest bidder. The only thing PIAA manufactures is marketing.

sorry no search provides any answer to specs on the PIAA bulb. I did not state the trim on my car because H7 legacy with projectors have been the same since ice ages. There is really no difference between 07 legacy or '15 halogen projectors. one thing that confused me was the great reviews on PIAA along with its hefty price tag. I still do not however see any specs on it anywhere. just as you said marketing gimick. the blue filter on the PIAA only seems to cover the tips and base not directly the filament. however the design on the bulb looks very similar to the terrible philips xtremes i used to change like underwear on my toyota. They only lasted 2-3 months for me and since then i stayed away from any tightly coiled bulbs like ultrastar and xtreme vision. However since my recent purchase of the 2015 subaru legacy 3.6r it has been very depressing driving it at night compared to me HID equipped cars. So im desperately looking for an upgrade and dont mind a little bit of whiteness because i think the led lighting looks just totally weird with too much yellowness of oem halogen. The stock halogen setup is incredibly yellow in colour:

bestride.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/subaru_legacy_2015-6705.jpg

im guessing the osram will be better but i think they are just adapted h9 bulbs? Eitherway I judt ordered them. as a sidenote i have seen stuff like philips crystal vision bulbs in volkswagons and volvos and they look fantastic though only rated at 1140 lumens compared to rallyes 2100! hell im not sacrificing half the output for some white output and extra reliability issues caused by the blue filter, was just wondering how white and bright the PIAA is.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Welcome to the board.

PIAA's stuff is all sizzle and no steak; all litterbox and no cat. There is no validity to the baloney they peddle about "kelvin ratings" and "color temperature" and "whiter light" and all the rest of it. It is pure marketing with no legitimacy, and the quality of the product ranges from mediocre to poor. Internet "reviews" are not a reliable source of information; most people do not know what the heck they are talking about and will talk (or type) a blue streak about "whiter" this and "kelvin" that and basically just regurgitate the promotional BS they've been fed.

The Osram Rallye 65w will give you a whole lot better seeing (more light) than any bulb PIAA wants to sell you. Those "terrible" Philips Xtremes you complain about are actually one of the best bulbs on the market, and will likewise leave the PIAA in the dust, and will give you much brighter and "whiter" light than the stock long-life bulbs without exceeding the power (current draw) and heat levels the car's lamps and wiring were designed to handle. "Whiter" in quotes because that is a meaningless marketing term based on a basic misunderstanding of what we think we're seeing (but aren't). A more accurate way of saying it is "less brown". And yes, lifespan on any of these bulbs is going to be a lot shorter than the stock long-life bulb, that's what extra light (or minimal legal light through the light-blocking blue glass) costs.

Bear in mind that you cannot make your halogen headlamps look like anything other than halogen headlamps and have them stay effective, safe, and legal. Different light-making technologies (filament, HID, LED) look different by nature, that's just the way it is, and that's fine because it really doesn't matter what your headlamps look like -- whoever thinks it matters is out to lunch, and the people who see your car on the road truly do not care what specific shade of white your headlamps appear to put out. The lights on a car are not fashion accessories, they're life safety equipment. Focus on optimizing their real, actual output in terms of lumens and beam focus. Most car crashes happen at night, and so do most traffic deaths and injuries, because most of us outdrive our low beams routinely. Saying you're willing to sacrifice light output in order to have your lights look a particular way is kind of like refusing to wear a seatbelt because it might muss your shirt.

Last edited:

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Osram Rallye in my forester.
they are excellent, visibly more light than standard bulbs.
i am very happy with them, and will be ordering a second and third pair as spares soon.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
sorry no search provides any answer to specs on the PIAA bulb.

Not only did the searches provide information about the great myth of "whiter light" from any headlamp bulbs, the searches provided:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...e-white-plus-vs-sliverstar-white-halogen-bulb

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?342485-PIAA-90-PROXT

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?199850-H3-LED-bulb-is-this-thing-safe-to-use

While no "specs" are provided, if you take the time to look through those threads you'll see they are consistently described as absolute junk.

But don't just take OUR word for it, take PIAA's word for it:

PIAA website copy

Xtreme White Plus is PIAA's best-selling technology. These bulbs will provide a brilliant Xtreme cool white light that will light up road hazards and street signs long before a normal halogen bulb. Xtreme White Plus bulbs are engineered for sustained Performance in applications where a high level of vibration and moisture protection is required. PIAA bulbs are engineered with XTRA Technology for greater Performance per watt compared to the competition. XTRA Technology is achieved when a proprietary gas mixture is combined with an aerospace alloy filament that produces greater light output than its rated power consumption: i.e. 55W=110W
No, 55W=55W. Always has, always will. Light output is not measured in watts either consumed or output, yet PIAA seems to think it does.

This is just part of the handwaving they do to ply money out of buyers' wallets.

Last edited:

pickler

Newly Enlightened
Not only did the searches provide information about the great myth of "whiter light" from any headlamp bulbs, the searches provided:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...e-white-plus-vs-sliverstar-white-halogen-bulb

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?342485-PIAA-90-PROXT

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?199850-H3-LED-bulb-is-this-thing-safe-to-use

While no "specs" are provided, if you take the time to look through those threads you'll see they are consistently described as absolute junk.

But don't just take OUR word for it, take PIAA's word for it:

No, 55W=55W. Always has, always will. Light output is not measured in watts either consumed or output, yet PIAA seems to think it does.

This is just part of the handwaving they do to ply money out of buyers' wallets.

good thing i didnt buy those then. Yes i do not like the philips xtremes. Their output was very similar to OEM and they only lasted 2-3 months at best. Same with the sylvania and osram ultras. However This is the first time im giving the Rallyes a try so we will see how it goes.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
good thing i didnt buy those then.
Definitely for the best.

Yes i do not like the philips xtremes. Their output was very similar to OEM and they only lasted 2-3 months at best.
The output difference can be subtle in the near field; in the distance, the extra beam focus from the very precisely wound and placed filament is more noticeable. It's not drastic, but they do add critical feet to your seeing distance (assuming the lamps are aimed properly).

Same with the sylvania and osram ultras.
The Sylvania SilverStar Ultras are just blue-tinted junk.

However This is the first time im giving the Rallyes a try so we will see how it goes.
The Osram Rallye will give you the performance you're looking for.

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had a pair of 65W Osram Rally H7/9 bulbs in my Legacy since 2007. Still on the same pair.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a question about the PIAA ad copy

when they say "aerospace alloy filament" what they really mean is "tungsten is used as weight to balance control surfaces in light aircraft and rotor tip weights in helicopters" and it sounds better than saying "we use the same tungsten filaments as everyone else" when they are trying to sell these "superbulbs"

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
That looks more like a statement, but still, if they claim they're using "aerospace alloy filaments" there are plenty of alloys used in the aerospace industry that aren't particularly exotic or extreme or anything.

And then there's the guy who tried to sell me a computer that used Spage Age technology. It had an 80186, 640KB of conventional memory and a 2MB expanded memory card. (Two floppy diskettes-- no waiting!)

Latest posts