Pila IBC Li-Ion battery charger width capability

BadBulb4U

Newly Enlightened
I am going to start using rechargeable Li-Ion 18650 batteries. It seems like I can't go wrong buying a Pila charger, but I was wondering what is the widest battery I will be able to charge in it. The higher mAh batteries are over 18mm. I am looking at batteries with widths of up to 18.6mm and I'm sure there are batteries that I have not read about that are wider. What batteries wider than 18mm are you able to charge in the Pila charger? If the wider batteries won't fit in the Pila, what charger should I consider then, or I am just going overboard again, like I usually do. :wave:

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello BadBulb-4U,

Welcome to CPF.

The Pila is designed for an 18650 cell plus protection circuit.

The 18 refers to the diameter of the cell. The 65 refers to the length of the cell without the protection circuit. The 0 means the cell is round.

The Pila can handle smaller cells by using a spacer. Larger cells don't fit.

Tom

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
~

IMO .. It's not usually the roundness that will give you trouble ...
fitting it into a charger ...

It's the Length of the cell that causes some to not fit the charger.
Some protected brands are 67mm or even longer.

The biggest worry with cells fatter than 18mm diameter is ....
they may not fit in your light ... or worse ... get STUCK in it .

~

Last edited:

BadBulb4U

Newly Enlightened
Hi SilverFox, Thanks for the basic information on 18650 cells, I see that I need to read up more on this battery type before I start buying anything. This is a great forum, I don't know anyone that likes flashlights like I do besides this forum. Joe

BadBulb4U

Newly Enlightened
~

The biggest worry with cells fatter than 18mm diameter is ....
they may not fit in your light ... or worse ... get STUCK in it .

~

Good point TooManyGizmos, I better start measuring the inside diameters of my flashlights before I make problems for myself.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Thanks for the specs, I'm going to get the EagleTac 18650 which is 67.8mm in length and 18.5mm in width. I'm sure I'll try others later, but I'll be off to a good start.

I have charged that exact battery (& many others in the 18650, 17670, 17500, 14670, 14500 sizes using spacers when needed)