Please recommend a QUALITY Q5

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking for a high QUALITY R2 light.

Preferences:
2 or 3 CR123a
"Narrow" Bezel - meaning less than 2" as it is for ECD
Foreward clicky switch
2 or 3 modes MAX - (defensive strobe would be nice)

eBay is filled with SolarForce units, but are there any other options?

TIA

Last edited:

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Please recommend a QUALITY R2

No because there's limited quantity of Cree R2.

Gunner12

Flashaholic

A Q5 is only slightly dimmer then the R2 at the same current, you probably won't notice the difference.

I'd get a Q5 and wait for the R4 bin or higher to get released before buying again.

EDC, not ECD ;)

generic808

Enlightened

If you do decide to go with an R2, choose the Solarforce over the DX version. My Solarforce Q5 is noticeably brighter than, and has a much better tint than my DX R2.

Jay T

Enlightened

No because there's limited quantity of Cree R2.

Isn't it interesting that with the rareness of the R2 bin the super cheap no name makers still have an unlimited supply. While big names like Dereelight can only make a limited run of 50 or so, Fenix can't do a thing, Wolf eyes just released a small limited run. I'm sure if Gene Malkoff could get them at a premium his customers would gladly cover it by shelling out an extra $10 each. Hmmm

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Please recommend a QUALITY R2 - or Q5

OK - any sugestions for a high quality Q5 with the same preferences?
(2 or 3 cr123a, "Narrow" Bezel, Foreward clicky, 2 or 3 modes MAX - defensive strobe would be nice.)

TIA

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Re: Please recommend a QUALITY R2 - or Q5

What price?

If you really want high quality, I'm sure you can find someone to custom make you a 3 R2 light powered by 2 CR123s with what ever modes you like.

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'd like to keep it under $100.
Just want one light engine, but I've become semi-obscessed with the 3 x CR123a power idea.

Gunner12

Flashaholic

Fenix and Olight are two pretty good companies(you can also get a semi custom 3 CR123 tube for the P3D, but that will be over $100).

A Surefire 6P's bezel(and similar lights, like the Dereelight CL1H) is also under 2 inch in diameter. There are many drop-ins available.

Aussie Cheese

Newly Enlightened

life is strange that way, isnt it? :poof:
its more like running a Q4 at 1.2A

Isn't it interesting that with the rareness of the R2 bin the super cheap no name makers still have an unlimited supply. While big names like Dereelight can only make a limited run of 50 or so, Fenix can't do a thing, Wolf eyes just released a small limited run. I'm sure if Gene Malkoff could get them at a premium his customers would gladly cover it by shelling out an extra $10 each. Hmmm

lyrrag

Newly Enlightened
The only other R2 available is the Jetbeam Pro 1 but it runs on AA's. The new Incendio looks like another good light for your budget. Although it's output is not rated as high as the Fenix or Olight. Be aware the Olight is more of thrower than the Fenix or Incendio.

lyrrag

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Olight T20-M is pretty close to what you're asking for: http://www.batteryjunction.com/military-t20-m.html

There's not a lot of 3xCR123A lights on the market, especially not LED onesas few LED's need the volts and they already enjoy, for the most part, excellent runtimes.

Thanks - I'll put it on my shortlist.

"Easily operated, the various levels/modes are adjusted by twisting the head slightly. The Olight illumination level/mode memory saves the last level or mode used before the light was turned off, returning to that level/mode when the light is turned back on."

So if I set this to the 10 hz strobe each time before I turn it off, then the next time I press the switch, I start off with the 220 lumen strobe?

****************************************************************************************************
This one looks interesting (if a bit overbudget)
http://www.pts-flashlights.com/products/product.aspx?pid=96-98-99-142-145-6540&tb=4
but does not include a pouch - OR a description of the switch.

Last edited:

Yapo

Enlightened

So if I set this to the 10 hz strobe each time before I turn it off, then the next time I press the switch, I start off with the 220 lumen strobe?

Yep that wat it should do...be able to save on any of the 5 modes...Olight made the T20 come in different flavours...
T20: 5 brightness lvls(high>low) by w/ memory + strobe + 2 SOS lvls (reverse clicky)
T20-M: 3 brightness lvls(low>high) +strobe + SOS w/ memory (forward clicky)
T20-T: 5 brightness lvls(high>low) w/ memory (forward clicky)

The mode changing is all done by twisting the head and turning on and off is by the tail clicky...apart from the regular T20 where changing to strobe and SOS is by the clicky as well.

Last edited:

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just placed my order for the OLIGHT T20 MILITARY.
This is my first "real" flashlight purchase in months.

Thanks for all the input! (and the 5% off coupon code)

Yapo

Enlightened
Is an email usually sent from BatteryJunction when an order is shipped? because i ordered a 2008 Olight T10 last week and i havent gotten 1 confirming shipping yet...maybe my paypal payment hasnt cleared yet...do they only ship out after being cleared? because i used to get shipping confirmations within a day from ordering but in the last few months a few of my orders from various sites have taken about a week or so before shipping out...

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, you get three emails after placing your order:
1 - order confirmation on receipt of order with a live status link which becomes a tracking link once the order ships.
1A - PayPal/Check/MO orders only: f you didn't use the automated PayPal setup you'll now receive an email with instructions for making a manual payment via Paypal or to mail kin your check/MO.
2 - shipping confirmation from our server, after PayPal is received
3 - shipping confirmation from the Yahoo hosted server, after PayPal is received

>redundant ship notifications are an effort to get the confirmation past the ever present spam filters.

Did you pay with Paypal instant payment (CC or available funds) or via echeck from your checking account? If it's eCheck, which I suspect it is, that's why your orders are taking a week or so to ship from various sites.