Polarion HID 35W Dive Light - "Abyss U2"

Patriot

Flashaholic
I've always wondered about the actual depth ability of Polarion lights ever since since DM51 dove with his P-series and Ken warned him that he took a risk with it, since it wasn't "designed" as a dive light. I'm not a diver so I'll never personally be subjecting my Polarion to depth, I guess I'm just curious how these models received their depth ratings per specifications.

CajunJosh

Newly Enlightened
I've always wondered about the actual depth ability of Polarion lights ever since since DM51 dove with his P-series and Ken warned him that he took a risk with it, since it wasn't "designed" as a dive light. I'm not a diver so I'll never personally be subjecting my Polarion to depth, I guess I'm just curious how these models received their depth ratings per specifications.

Send it my way Patriot and I'll personally test yours first with a detailed review. ;)

DM51

Flashaholic
As Patriot says, I have dived with my PH40, but I knew I was taking something of a risk in doing so. I posted about it here.

As Ken made clear at the time, the PH40 is not rated as a dive light, so I'm very interested in this new Abyss U2.

I'd welcome a comment from Ken about the reflector question I asked above.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I'm also curious to hear about the reflector choice and it's specifications. I thought it was interesting to see Jason's comment above since he also sounds like a diver......

Interesting reflector design... most divers prefer something like a 5-7 degree beam... Don't think this light will be anywhere in that range given the design of the reflector.

Judging from outward appearance, it seems to have been optimized for video or photography work. At the same time I'm wondering what qualities this reflector type can provide that a diffuser can't.

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Send it my way Patriot and I'll personally test yours first with a detailed review. ;)

yeah right! Drown your own PH50 Josh. :nana:

Ken, do you think updated info about the Abyss is weeks or months away? Also, recently, one of our CPF members was told that the Polarion "Dual X" was planned for release next year. Are you able to confirm or deny these reports?

Thanks,

Paul

Team Member

Enlightened
I have that type of reflector back home. I was supposed to test it with my PH50. Apparently the Korea Police use them...

Ken J. Good

Enlightened
I was just seeing how long I could hold my breath at 100 meters underwater...

I didn't have any input on the unit, just passing along what I received.

Here is the rationale from Polarion of Korea:

Abyss: Abyss D and Abyss S.

Abyss D has a diffusion reflector -> For Photo (color temp is 5500k - a bit blue in color , good quality for photography)

Abyss S has a orange peel spot reflector -> fishing or cave explore , Etc...(color temp is 4300k - for longer distances)

The Diffusion Filter we currently have will work on this Searchlight.

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Ken J. Good
I was just seeing how long I could hold my breath at 100 meters underwater...
I think you won the gold...:p

Abyss D has a diffusion reflector -> For Photo (color temp is 5500k - a bit blue in color , good quality for photography)

Abyss S has a orange peel spot reflector -> fishing or cave explore , Etc...(color temp is 4300k - for longer distances)

WOW! Polarion made a 5500K light! Interesting. I probably would have opted for something closer to 5000-5200K but so be it.

EDIT: Answered my own question now that I rested and read again with a fresh mind.

Thanks Ken.

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic
Thanks for the info, Ken. It is good to know there will be 2 flavors - should suit all tastes.

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I wonder if the Orange Peel Spot with the diffusion filter (currently available for the other Polarion lights) will "equal" the Diffesion reflector version.

the color temps will be different but I wonder how much difference it will make when underwater since the clarity of the water and such will need to play a part in the success of your photography etc.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Nice to hear that the OP is an option. We'll look forward to this light becoming available.

vee73

Newly Enlightened
I have seen the Abyss 5500K light. It is a little blue glass.

vee73

Newly Enlightened
I have kept my hand on both models. D (Diffusion) S (Spot)-model.
Diffusion model was physically smaller burner even though both were 35W. Diffusion model was indeed also a clear bluish glass. Beam was incredibly high and steady throughout!

S (Spot)-model, to the beam appeared to be highly centralized.

The carrying handle was easily removable.
Rotary switch was made from two parts.
The back cover was a two-seal. Its opening and sealing needed more power than, for example, PH-model.

Both models have already been a couple of weeks in the Finnish importer:
http://www.jomatig.fi/kauppa/polarion-abyss-u2.html

http://www.polarion-store.fi/

Patriot

Flashaholic
Thank you Vee!

1290 Euros converts to $1844.

Length appears to be the same as the X1 (255mm).

It seems that the blue tinted glass is what gives the D model it's 5500K color.

Handle is "easily removable" just as it appeared to be in the pictures.

Very cool...could be my next Polarion!

polarion_abyss_2.jpg

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now Patriot, as you well know, this is just what I need--another Polarion....:thinking:

Karl

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
lol.....yes you sure do, just like I need another. If the converted price is correct it would make a nice 35W, 90 minute run, compliment to the PH50. On the down side, it takes a different battery but if we want a shorter light than the P series, I don't seen any way around the battery format.

In some ways, the X1 and Abyss are almost a better package design since both lights depend on handles. The PH style only had to be longer and skinnier to accommodate the handle-less PF style. Since there is no handle-less X1 they were able to make it fatter and shorter.

So what do you think Karl, "groupbuy!" :naughty:

Last edited: