Polarion HID 35W Dive Light - "Abyss U2"

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
You guys caught this part too, right?

"- 35W or 40w Xenon HID ( Basic set - 35w output )"

I'm guess that has something to due with this:
http://www.kuvaboxi.fi/mediaobjects/orig/pub/2009/08/20/8143010478554072594orig.jpg

How cool is that!? The U2S is definitely my next light. :naughty:

I had mentioned something in post #45 of this thread and no-one responded. :( Now you actually find it in the literature... which I also read but didn't pay close enough attention to it.

Crap... dual stage.... CRAP.. CRAP. I just bought the X1 ... should be here tomorrow. C R A P. Now what???? And that price is much cheaper than the current X1 (or P2 for that matter)..... and this light is type III vs type II. :( :( Ok I need to stay calm...stay calm.... I told myself I wouldn't need U2 for diving. I convinced myself because I wanted a new light NOW and the X1 was available. This is what happens when you get impatient. argghhhh. We still don't have a release date though...... think it will be before year end?

It would have been nice to see a 35/50 mix. So that the output different would be very noticeable between modes. If the literature is correct with a 35/40 setup then your runtime should be around 100/80 min respectively. I guess that extra 20 min can come in handy for many....

Maybe Ken can verify if that is really the case with the dual stage.

Last edited:

LOUSYGREATWALLGM

Enlightened
Crap... dual stage.... CRAP.. CRAP. I just bought the X1 ... should be here tomorrow. C R A P. Now what???? And that price is much cheaper than the current X1 (or P2 for that matter)..... and this light is type III vs type II. :( :( Ok I need to stay calm...stay calm.... I told myself I wouldn't need U2 for diving. I convinced myself because I wanted a new light NOW and the X1 was available. This is what happens when you get impatient. argghhhh. We still don't have a release date though...... think it will be before year end?
It would have been nice to see a 35/50 mix. So that the output different would be very noticeable between modes. If the literature is correct with a 35/40 setup then your runtime should be around 100/80 min respectively. I guess that extra 20 min can come in handy for many....

Stay calm bud :D nothing to worry with that, I believe. Remember red special order we used to talked about, seem that explains this 35W or 40W. Polarion with Dual modes is still far from reality :nana:

Reminder: "comes with soft case"

Last edited:

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
plus you got to remember that this light is specifically designed for underwater illumination. unless your a diver, in which case i just made it worse for you.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Curtis,

First off, I believe the price is around 1290 Euro's not dollars, even though there's a dollar sign there "$" I had the feeling that was going to freak somebody out.....:p but it is right off the korean website.

Next, the difference of 5 watts is going to be closer to 10 minutes, not 20.

Next, it hasn't been verified that the user can actually switch between 35 and 40 watts. I don't see an adjustment point on the ballast such as a screw or anything. Also the other U2-D didn't even have the same text written on the ballast so who knows. Also, I don't believe that's considered "dual stage" but I don't know what exactly differentiates it electronically from true dual stage either.

Next, there is a peak throw / lux difference between the X1 and the U2-S with LOP reflector. Llook at the lux figures.

U2-D 24,400
U2-S 34,000
PH40 40,000
PH50 54,000

I'm guessing that the smooth X1 going to be very close to the PH40. In any case, you're X1 is still going to out throw either U2 model.

Lastly, it could be 6 months are more before we see this light over here.

All is not lost ;) :thumbsup:

Last edited:

BVH

Flashaholic
Curtis,

Next, it hasn't been verified that the user can actually switch between 35 and 40 watts. I don't see an adjustment point on the ballast such as a screw or anything. Also the other U2-D didn't even have the same text written on the ballast so who knows. Also, I don't believe that's considered "dual stage" but I don't know what exactly differentiates it electronically from true dual stage either.

Does the ballast have a pair of extra, very small wires? It might switch like your Blitz, connecting/disconnecting two wires

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Curtis,

First off, I believe the price is around 1290 Euro's not dollars, even though there's a dollar sign there "$" I had the feeling that was going to freak somebody out.....:p but it is right off the korean website.

Next, the difference of 5 watts is going to be closer to 10 minutes, not 20.

Next, there is a peak throw / lux difference between the X1 and the U2-S with LOP reflector. Llook at the lux figures.

U2-D 24,400
U2-S 34,000
PH40 40,000
PH50 54,000

I'm guessing that the smooth X1 going to be very close to the PH40. In any case, you're X1 is still going to out throw either U2 model.

Lastly, it could be 6 months are more before we see this light over here.

All is not lost ;) :thumbsup:

Alright, just needed some dinner I guess. Blood sugar must have been low. Much better now. LOL....

I know, I jumped the gun with all the assumptions and stuff. If it turns out to be everything and more then I will just get one of these lights to. The X1 will just have a twin.. albeit a fraternal twin. haha

Sorry to take us off track. Lets keep it moving.

I am curious as to how the switch (if at all possible) between levels will be. I am thinking it is a setting that will either be orderable as a 35w or as a 40w and they simply use the same board to reduce manufacturing costs.

Good points on the price I just saw the $ sign and thought dollars.

All good. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Does the ballast have a pair of extra, very small wires? It might switch like your Blitz, connecting/disconnecting two wires

Sorry Bob, I don't know. I was only going from the picture a few links back. Maybe it's a fixed wattage that the factory sets to 35 or 40 depending on which is ordered...? Dunno...:tinfoil:

Ken J. Good

Enlightened
The Polarion U2 Abyss will be offered in 35-watts only.

No Dual Power or 40-watt model in the works as far as I am aware.
A word of caution with respect to using the Polarion of Korea for "intel".

In a nutshell if you look at the site, it often displays protos, projects that don't get traction or discontinued products.

We finally have both U2 models in stock.

The "S" model has a slightly stippled reflector and has no where near the throw of the smooth reflector found in the X1 which is a 40-watt HID.

The "D" model is exceptionally diffused for video/photographic work.

These are clearly underwater use lights and have limited runtime out-of-water given the sealing and potential heat build-up given the design.

MSRP in the US is going to be $1895.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Thanks for the update and clarification about the wattage Ken.

Curtis, it looks like you made out just fine with the X1. I'm eager for you to receive it too. :)

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the update and clarification about the wattage Ken.

Curtis, it looks like you made out just fine with the X1. I'm eager for you to receive it too. :)

:) The X1 is already in the house. Been traveling for work so hadn't had enough time to even play yet.

Curtis

Patriot

Flashaholic
....and you didn't take it to work with you!? :nana:

I'm very much looking forward to your pictures and thoughts. CPF is X1 deficient for some reason. Hardly any info or reviews.

The U2 still looks like a great light and should appeal to those looking for for more run-time. It's going to be a tough choice between it and the X1 but since I'm in no hurry, I thought I'd listen to what people had to say about the U2.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I really don't have any important reason to revive this thread other than to say that I'll have a Abyss U2 "S" in my possession, within a couple of days. I'm excited to test it for the CPF community since we've really not seen much actual data on the Abyss from CPF members. I suppose that the economy being what it's been for the last three years probably has a lot to do with that. Personally, I would have owned this light sooner had I more disposable income. In any case, I'll being doing beamshots, videos and will attempt to cover this light with the same depth that I reviewed the PH50 when it was introduced. More in a couple of days! :)

DM51

Flashaholic
I'll have a Abyss U2 "S" in my possession within a couple of days.... I'm excited to test it for the CPF community
I much look forward to your tests, and comparison beamshots vs. PH40 etc if you can do them.

Unfortunately, I think your tests could possibly lead to more $$$ disappearing from my poor ill-treated wallet...

Steve'O

Newly Enlightened
Yes it will be interesting to see a beamshot comparison with the OP reflector.

Good of you Patriot :thumbsup:

Patriot

Flashaholic
I've had the light now for a couple of days and have 3 hours of run-time on it so far. I thought it would be a good idea to give the bulb at least a minimal workout before I started my beamshots and video this coming week.

Also, I missed pointing out that this model is the Abyss Dual "S" or dual stage Abyss. Low output is 30W or 3000L. Hight output is 45W or 4500L. I'll probably just start a new thread soon since this is indeed a new model and Polarion's first 2 stage.

I'm very excited about this product thus far and quite blown away by the performance, especially considering it's size. It's notably smaller than the P series while outperforming the current P series in total light output. Despite having a MOP reflector, the throw remains extraordinary from its sub-three inch (72mm) reflector. The beam imperfections have been eased and softened but the hotspot is still very distinct and measures about 8" across at 25 feet. I'm looking forward to taking beamshots of this light for you guys!

Besides the obvious performance and flawless fit and HA finish, it's impressive to think that this light is dive rate to 330 feet! So far I can't think of a single data point about the Abyss where it comes up short. During the second run, I did manage to get it warm enough to redistribute much of the lubrication that was on the threads and double O-rings. It started to creep down the battery housing but stopped before getting the the electronic board and contacts. It looks like this thing for ready to dive with right from the factory judging from the o-ring lube. Underwater, I suspect that it would never get warm enough for the lube to migrate. I cleaned up the excess and it was good to go for the third run.

I'll get some pictures up tomorrow. :)

Steve'O

Newly Enlightened
This sounds like a very nice light you have Patriot, that 30 watt low mode is a nice feature for longer run time.

It would be great if you could compare it's textured reflector against the PH40's smooth.

Latest posts