Polarion Night Reaper (CSWL)

Patriot

Flashaholic
Re: Polarion Night Reaper

There looks to be a VERY significant increase in Lumens output, not just a different focusing reflector. To me, the beam itself in the foreground of the NR shot is larger in diameter as if it was slightly geared towards more flood. And more trees on either side of the beam are lit up and more of the tower itself is lit up - again supporting flood. However, the tower itself is more brightly lit than with the PH50 - supporting throw. So....You can't have it both ways unless there's more Lumens.

Excellent observations Bob. It's almost as if the corona that's so defined in the PH50 as been squeezed into a more narrow angle and is throwing it further down range. The tree on the right is much more brightly lit by the NR as well.

Interesting there is a very defined outer corona in the PH50 shot but almost no defined corona in the NR shot. Look at the color of the asphalt in the NR shot. Much lighter than in the PH50 shot.

My only disappointment??? The far streetlight is still on!!!

Paul, I wish you had a BarnBurner to do a comparison with.

It is much brighter "lighter" including the curb all the way up to the edge of the frame.

lol...yes, I've never thought about trying to turn that light off. The 84W Blitz might have.

I wish that I had a BB as well just for fun. Although the NR is a powerhouse I just don't think 50 or 55W is going to make an overly impressive showing for itself compared to a 75-80W light. I witnessed this first hand when comparing the PH50 to the 84W blitz. Completely different platforms of course but the Polarion gets the gold medal when it comes to the combination of attributes, especially in the form factor category. It's so wonderful to use these as opposed to a Kleenex box with a handle mounted on top. I think I recall you making that observation when you still owned your PH40.

Patriot

Flashaholic

Just got a couple D-Mini VX Ultras and a Blue Preon in today's mail! Just like Christmas. Should get 3 4/7's Mini123's on Saturday, I hope.

You go Bob! CPF is going to convert you into and LED junkie yet...lol. Seriously though, it's really fun to hear you talk about LED's and get excited about them. You've come a long way in the last year or two. :)

Patriot

Flashaholic
Ken, in looking at the bezel design of the NR, it doesn't appear that it's compatible with conventional Polarion filters. I guess it wasn't deemed necessary for the CSWL role? Or perhaps there is a special line of slip over filters for the NR?

I was just wondering because I exchanged emails with Vesa and he was talking about "making effects" with the NR. I think he was talking about using his filters on it but I don't believe that's going to work.

Your thoughts..

BVH

Flashaholic

You go Bob! CPF is going to convert you into and LED junkie yet...lol. Seriously though, it's really fun to hear you talk about LED's and get excited about them. You've come a long way in the last year or two. :)

Let it never be said that BVH is prejudiced against LEDs and Incans.

vee73

Newly Enlightened
Ken, in looking at the bezel design of the NR, it doesn't appear that it's compatible with conventional Polarion filters. I guess it wasn't deemed necessary for the CSWL role? Or perhaps there is a special line of slip over filters for the NR?

I was just wondering because I exchanged emails with Vesa and he was talking about "making effects" with the NR. I think he was talking about using his filters on it but I don't believe that's going to work.

Your thoughts..

I figured something. One of the rubber fitting part. But it is not necessary to agree on. After all, I have always PH. But I would handle the need.

Edit: I do not always use the filters. I usually do not use.

Ken J. Good

Enlightened
We have uniquely designed IR filter that will not possibly allow any white light to accidentally escape when the filter is closed. White light on the battlefield when you don't want it, is a bad thing.

The filter features a magnetically locking as well as pin-locking swinging gate that allows the filter to be open and locked or closed and locked into place.

The filter frame is 6061 T6 Aluminum with a highest quality tempered 850 nm IR glass. The dogone shock-isolation buffer/O-ring in is a $22 item!

Given the fact that our systems are going to be on vehicles in rough conditions, you cannot expect a plastic part that is simply twisted locked in to place to do the job. Not to mention you don't want to be carrying around an IR filter in your pocket when not in use.

The filter is machined to close tolerances and it press fits on with some significant pressure in an of itself. That machined ring you see on the bezel is where the 4 retention screws that lock the filter in place end up interfacing with.
You can see it clearly in the IR Filter installation instructions found here:
http://polarion-usa.com/pdfs/NightReaper-SpecsOpsManual.pdf

Here is an image of a pre-production prototype with IR Filter installed. Production version have stainless steel lanyard that secures the Push/Pull Pin to the filter frame so you don't end up losing that in the dark.

Proto-NightReaper.jpg

Last edited:

vee73

Newly Enlightened
Ken, Night Reaper filter system seems absolutely up to the end than planned. It is true, all what you told. It is perfectly understandable, this new system.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Ken, Night Reaper filter system seems absolutely up to the end than planned. It is true, all what you told. It is perfectly understandable, this new system.

+1 to that Vesa. I just read the installation instructions and that IR filter is very "built." I don't imagine that's an inexpensive item either.

P.S. I'm going to have to make you a new rotating gif. signature once your Night Reaper arrives, aren't I. ;)

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Bob, I can't believe you didn't poke fun at the Boxer and its blue beam...haha. The bulb hasn't been broken in yet but it will end up about the same color as the Microfire in the picture. I've got it running with a fan on it right now. 8-10 hours and it will come around. :)

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hats off to Paul for such an awesome post.:twothumbs

My eyes were on the PF40 because of its menacing looks (and nice price), but my attention is now more focused on the NR. That thing looks like it will eat you alive just sitting there!

Want to add the commentary that the CSWL is a full $3000 cheaper than the SF Hellfighter- what a deal.

You can almost get 2 NRs for the price of 1 HF. How's that for lumens?:naughty:

Last edited:

RWM001

Newly Enlightened
Patriot- thanks for the review. The beam shots are awesome.

Last edited:

vee73

Newly Enlightened
Patriot, I took the right to edit your pictures. I thought that this system can easily see what the difference is the light in the middle and sides.
NR gives a lot more light on the site.
Actually, I try to do but to come up with while waiting for mine.:crackup:

PH50
8143010478556996657orig.jpg

NR
8143010478556996745orig.jpg

PH50
8143010478556996665orig.jpg

NR
8143010478556996708orig.jpg

Edit: Patriot, can you make these GIF images?

Last edited:

Billy Ram

Enlightened
This thread has been very interesting. I always injoy out door beam shots and reviews on equipment. Patriot has made a high quality report as usual on this high end light. Even though something's a bit out of my reach or not very practical for my usage I still find reviews like this very intertaining:twothumbs
Billy

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
Terrific job on the beamshots, Patriot! I am surprised and very impressed at how much it outperforms the PH50 in output and throw; the Night Reaper appears to beat the PH50 by nearly the same amount the PH50 beats the PH40 (based on the beamshots I have seen). I think Polarion did an exemplary job on creating the NR, as it seems like such an amazing little light to be able to throw so well. I'm glad you are so happy with it!

Patriot

Flashaholic
Hats off to Paul for such an awesome post.:twothumbs

My eyes were on the PF40 because of its menacing looks (and nice price), but my attention is now more focused on the NR. That thing looks like it will eat you alive just sitting there!

Want to add the commentary that the CSWL is a full $3000 cheaper than the SF Hellfighter- what a deal.

You can almost get 2 NRs for the price of 1 HF. How's that for lumens?:naughty:

Thanks dudemar but the real hat's off has to go to Ken Good for designing such a product from the ground up. In reading his first thread about the CSWL and the progression from concept to reality you can get a sense for just how much blood and sweat went into it. Good observation about the retail price of the NR vs. the Hellfighter. That's a huge difference and it makes me wonder how the price gap could be so great when the NR handily outperforms it. The NR also has the huge advantage of on board power which translates to mobility.

RWM001
Patriot- thanks for the review. The beam shots are awesome.

Very welcome. I feel very fortunate to be able too. I plan on taking a few more pics this evening, possibly at a difference location near my house.

Vee73
Patriot, I took the right to edit your pictures. I thought that this system can easily see what the difference is the light in the middle and sides.
NR gives a lot more light on the site.
Actually, I try to do but to come up with while waiting for mine.

Nice diagnostic effect Vesa. You can really see a good deal more light seeping around the edges of the "Black Hole" testing tool. :) Are you saying, 'Something for you to do while you wait for your NR'? Haha, yes, that's funny man. Thanks for posting those pictures. Hopefully it won't be much longer until you have yours. :) I post a gif image of those two a bit later.

BillyRam
This thread has been very interesting. I always enjoy out door beam shots and reviews on equipment. Patriot has made a high quality report as usual on this high end light. Even though something's a bit out of my reach or not very practical for my usage I still find reviews like this very intertaining:twothumbs
Billy

Thanks Billy. I'll continue to post more information as I learn more about the light. I plan out getting out for some additional beamshots this evening as well, in order to try to show the differences in the beam shape. Check back later.

BlueBeam
Terrific job on the beamshots, Patriot! I am surprised and very impressed at how much it outperforms the PH50 in output and throw; the Night Reaper appears to beat the PH50 by nearly the same amount the PH50 beats the PH40 (based on the beamshots I have seen). I think Polarion did an exemplary job on creating the NR, as it seems like such an amazing little light to be able to throw so well. I'm glad you are so happy with it!

Thanks Houston, I'm glad that you enjoyed them. I felt they were a slightly under exposed (for beamshots) but they probably represent fairly closely what the eye sees. If anything they're conservative since the beam effect isn't exaggerated at all. Yes, this exact PH50 was my same light tested back in the PH50 Main Thread and it was clearly brighter than the PH40 that I owned at the time. I wish I still owned that light too. This example of NR provides a nice 14% increase from the PH50 which was almost a 20% increase from the PH40.

CajunJosh

Newly Enlightened
Is it not being discussed yet or did I just miss what the possible price point of the NR would be on the civilian order?

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Sorry Josh, don't know exactly. Ken Good posted the retail price once but I couldn't find it in the other Night Reaper thread. It's probably buried in some random Polarion thread because someone asked for the price there. I want to say it's around $3800 but with the optional mounts and accessories it only goes up from there.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it not being discussed yet or did I just miss what the possible price point of the NR would be on the civilian order?

It's $3730 at Tactical LEDs, you can check it out at their website:

http://www.tacticalleds.com

Another interesting perspecive: one NR you can by two X1s, but it'll be nowhere near the 10:3 lumen ratio of the NR and HF comparison. It's evident the NR is a heck of a deal, even at this price point.

Last edited: