Polarion Night Reaper (CSWL)

Parker VH

Enlightened
Paul,
Congrats and you're very deserving of such a gift. You're always willing to help others on this forum and I can say I appreciate and value your opinions very much.
One question, how do you sleep with it stuck under your pillow?:thumbsup:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Thanks Bob for the kind words. Who says I sleep with it under me pillow? The first night I had the light I ate dinner and fell to sleep on the couch with the light laying on chest...lol. True story. :grin2:

Warm up results for the Jil EZNite now included in post #79

one2tim

Enlightened
seeing those resaults makes me wonder if they will make a normal PH with same inside stuff as the NR, that would be great.

Can you take the inside of the NR and put it into your PH50 body?

Patriot

Flashaholic
The regular PH50 was already pushing its thermal limits, that's why they stopped making it. The CSWL doesn't really have that issue because of the extra mass around the head. Also, it has some very sophisticated thermal management circuitry and I've actually seen the light step down 25% in output after 10-15 minutes of running. From what I can gather the electronics in the CSWL won't fit in the PH body nor would you want to try.

The size weights are so close that the CSWL isn't really handicapped as compared to the PH body. If and effective handle can be made to fit the CSWL, it will be just as usable as the PH. I'm working on a handle as well as Vee73 so hopefully we will come up with one good design between us, if not two. Mine will be aluminum, Vee73's will be polycarbonate.

one2tim

Enlightened
The regular PH50 was already pushing its thermal limits, that's why they stopped making it. The CSWL doesn't really have that issue because of the extra mass around the head. Also, it has some very sophisticated thermal management circuitry and I've actually seen the light step down 25% in output after 10-15 minutes of running. From what I can gather the electronics in the CSWL won't fit in the PH body nor would you want to try.

The size weights are so close that the CSWL isn't really handicapped as compared to the PH body. If and effective handle can be made to fit the CSWL, it will be just as usable as the PH. I'm working on a handle as well as Vee73 so hopefully we will come up with one good design between us, if not two. Mine will be aluminum, Vee73's will be polycarbonate.

sounds good but still its aloooot more expensive then the ph50 :(

Patriot

Flashaholic
sounds good but still its aloooot more expensive then the ph50 :(

For sure. I never would have owned this light if it handn't been graciously given to me, since it's simply more than I can afford to spend. On the plus side a person can buy a Polarion X1 new for about $1650 from 4Sevens. Yeah, it's still expensive but your getting the best since there's no other hand held that can match its combination of attributes. I've also seen Polarion's sell in the Marketplace for as low as $1200 and they were in great shape.

Mr Brandy

Newly Enlightened
Magnificent films there Patriot! :huh::twothumbs

What I suggest is that these are put into a new thread that is glued at the top of this forum.
This is the kind of info we newbees is looking for.

Question:
How did you have the white balace set on the camera?
It was intresting to see the colour while the warm up, but to me they all seems to be "the same" when they are set.
Which I know is not correct.

Then you could start think of who is the sickest person.
You who made the films or us waching them....????
:thinking:;)

Patriot

Flashaholic
Thank you Mr Brandy. :)

I'll consider making a new thread if I can foresee accumulating enough data to justify a thread. I still have 3 more lights lights to test but one is at my brother's house and the other is at my uncle's house, so I'm not sure when I'll get around to testing them. Short term, I've done about all I can do with the warm-up tests for now. I'd really need to have some other 50W lights like the Xeray50 or L50 to make the tests more interesting but I don't own those lights. I'll give it some more thought though. :)

You bring up a good question about white balance since I've never paid any attention to it while shooting video. I've always just left it set to auto white balance. I suppose this means that it's then continuously compensating through each frame of video which would make my footage not very useful as a color temperature reference. As a test, I could set the camera to "daylight" WB then go film two radically different lights to see if the color was captured more accurately. It probably would be though. Thanks for the idea. :twothumbs

FrogmanM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man that Group Buy is Tempting, but I'm still gonna try to pick up an X1 or PH40 for xmas. Keep up the great posts Oh Masters of the HID! :bow:

-Mayo :popcorn:

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just caught up on this thread- Wow! A wonderful gesture by Ken, to a most deserving individual- Tis the season!:D

Great videos! Enjoy that light!

Patriot

Flashaholic
Just caught up on this thread- Wow! A wonderful gesture by Ken, to a most deserving individual- Tis the season!:D

Great videos! Enjoy that light!

Thank you sir. It was a nice surprising Christmas this year.

one2tim
Where is the power on button on the NR? also can the din connector be removed?
I'll have to take a picture of it for you. They are small, rubber sleeved toggles. One master switch and one on/off switch. This light would be nearly impossible to turn on accidentally, which I like.

vee73

Newly Enlightened
:popcorn:
8143010478557143814orig.jpg

8143010478557143816orig.jpg

8143010478557143818orig.jpg

8143010478557143820orig.jpg

8143010478557143822orig.jpg

8143010478557143823orig.jpg

8143010478557143813orig.jpg

Patriot

Flashaholic
Night Reaper Beamshots Part II

Camera settings: 10 sec @ F4.0 ISO50 Sunlight WB.

Target: Center of power line tower at 340 yards this time.

All lights at stabilized output based on previous video tests.

The lights from left to right Costco HID, Polarion CSWL, Polarion PH50, Microfire K3500, Wolf Eyes Boxer 24W.
NightReaperbeamshotsII012picasa.jpg

Wide angle group

Control
NightReaperbeamshotsII001.jpg

Wolf Eyes Boxer 24W
NightReaperbeamshotsII002.jpg

Microfire K3500 35W
NightReaperbeamshotsII003.jpg

Costco HID 35W
NightReaperbeamshotsII004.jpg

Polarion PH50
NightReaperbeamshotsII005.jpg

Polarion CSWL
NightReaperbeamshotsII006.jpg

Older picture of 75W Maxabeam (only included the mix to get an idea of beamshape and lack of peripheral light. Similar exposure taken on a different date)
DEFTReview2017.jpg

Telephoto group

Wolf Eyes Boxer 24W
NightReaperbeamshotsII007.jpg

Microfire K3500 35W
NightReaperbeamshotsII008.jpg

Costco HID 35W
NightReaperbeamshotsII009.jpg

Polarion PH50
NightReaperbeamshotsII010.jpg

Polarion CSWL
NightReaperbeamshotsII011.jpg

Older picture of 75W Maxabeam (only included the mix to get an idea of beamshape and lack of peripheral light. Similar exposure taken on a different date)
DEFTReview2017.jpg

Last edited:

BVH

Flashaholic
I know there's a color temp difference btw the Costco and the CSWL and that may influence judgement, but I think the Costco still puts a brighter spot on the tower. Not as much light for sure, but a brighter spot. Also, the deep orange ambient color cast in all but the CSWL telephoto shots by the HPS street lights is not there with the CSWL. Did the camera settings change or was it just washed out by the CSWL. Did it look that way in real life?

EDIT: It's actually the same for both Polarion shots. Well, there's a little bit on the left so it looks as though there's so much light from both Polarions, that it washed it out (lit the area up)

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Vee73, nice pictures man! I won't take any close ups for one2tim since yours are so good. Your NR has found a great home with some nice siblings. :)

Patriot

Flashaholic
I know there's a color temp difference btw the Costco and the CSWL and that may influence judgement, but I think the Costco still puts a brighter spot on the tower. Not as much light for sure, but a brighter spot. Also, the deep orange ambient color cast in all but the CSWL telephoto shots by the HPS street lights is not there with the CSWL. Did the camera settings change or was it just washed out by the CSWL. Did it look that way in real life?

EDIT: It's actually the same for both Polarion shots. Well, there's a little bit on the left so it looks as though there's so much light from both Polarions, that it washed it out (lit the area up)

Oh yeah, the Costco still out throws the little 3.5" reflector of the Polarion. The interesting part is that they're not too far behind despite the massive disadvantage in reflector surface area. I just double checked the camera again and it remained set to daylight WB throughout the test. I think you can right click on the picture to see the settings details but I'm not sure how to do it. I think you need a certain program maybe. If someone knows, please tell me since I've forgotten. The color temperature for the entire two sets of pictures is warmer than actual but other than that, yeah it's pretty much what they looked like. The difference is that to the left of frame center, the camera is looking through the illuminated atmosphere of the beam. The brighter the light the more the atmosphere is lit and the more off color it's going to be to the left. To the right, everything is equal. by raising the camera or the light well above the other that could mostly be eliminated. It just so happens that my tripods were both at about 3.5' high about about 3' apart. I hope that all made sense...lol.

EDIT: Also, it makes sense that if you throw enough lumens out there within frame shot, it's going to recolor a percentage of the frame to the light's output rather than the ambient control. I'm guessing that's the main reason for the effect that you're seeing.

Last edited: