Polarion Night Reaper (CSWL)

Mr Brandy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the video Vee, even though I didn't understand one word (or almost non).

I have better to catch up on my finnish. I do watch Uutiset at quater to six on Swedish telly.

Even that I have seen the Polarion on pictures I haven't realy understod what size they are.

And no, I haven't been scared away regarding the size. It have just added my want. No, not right word: the need for one.
But for me living in the city I don't know if the output is the right for me. I think it would be to bright.

But it strikes me how smal the DIN contact is.
How many amps are supplied thru the contacts via the external supply cable?

vee73

Newly Enlightened
Mr Brandy, do not argue. I do not understand English. :oops: Google will help me to translate. Therefore, probably does not always go right.

Patriot

Flashaholic
But it strikes me how smal the DIN contact is.
How many amps are supplied thru the contacts via the external supply cable?

Probably not many amps at all 6-7A perhaps. This light is also powered from an internal battery pack so the draw can't be too high. The DIN contact is 22mm outside diameter, 18.5mm inside diameter.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Thanks for the great video Vesa. That was some great close up video of the NR for people to see. Also, seeing it in a person's hand helps very much with scale.

Kiitos erinomaisesta video Vesa. Se oli mahtavaa läheltä video NR ihmisten nähdä. Myös nähdä sen ihmisen käsi auttaa hyvin paljon ja mittakaava.

Mr. Brandy. Vee73 didn't mean to say "do not argue" he meant "do not worry." That's just the google translator messing things up. :)

BVH

Flashaholic
Paul, your 6-7 Amps is probably close for start and warm-up. Running, assuming 14 Volts average from the battery, it's going to draw about 4.1 to 4.5 Amps (total input power) again, assuming a 15% ballast efficiency loss. I don't know how efficient the Polarion ballast is. That would be nice to know if it's not proprietary.

Edited based on Dan's thought on efficiency.

Last edited:

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Paul, your 6-7 Amps is probably close for start and warm-up. Running, assuming 14 Volts average from the battery, it's going to draw about 4.5 to 5 Amps (total input power) again, assuming a 25% ballast efficiency loss. I don't know how efficient the Polarion ballast is. That would be nice to know if it's not proprietary.

I am confident it should be at least 85% efficient.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Paul, your 6-7 Amps is probably close for start and warm-up. Running, assuming 14 Volts average from the battery, it's going to draw about 4.1 to 4.5 Amps (total input power)

Ok, thanks Bob. I was trying to give Mr. Brandy and idea of peak amps. So you're saying 6-7A would have to pass through the DIN connection at start up, then 4 - 4.5A thereafter for stabilized run? In any case, not very many amps. Mr. Brandy seemed concerned about the size of the pins but I think he was must have been guessing a lot more amperage was passing through.

Xeray
or Bob how efficient is a "very efficient" ballast? Is 90% attainable? More perhaps? Dan, I think you tested a Polarion 40W for a while. Did you happen to measure ballast efficiency?

Thanks.

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, thanks Bob. I was trying to give Mr. Brandy and idea of peak amps. So you're saying 6-7A would have to pass through the DIN connection at start up, then 4 - 4.5A thereafter for stabilized run? In any case, not very many amps. Mr. Brandy seemed concerned about the size of the pins but I think he was must have been guessing a lot more amperage was passing through.

Xeray or Bob how efficient is a "very efficient" ballast? Is 90% attainable? More perhaps? Dan, I think you tested a Polarion 40W for a while. Did you happen to measure ballast efficiency? Thanks.

1st, you can figure 2X to 3X steady state current especially for initial max current. With the fast warmup used by polarion on the other lights I would expect 3X steady state as an estimate.

We have ballasts with better than 92% with 24V input. with a ~12 input 90-91%.
Nope, never bothered to test Polarion efficiency.

one2tim

Enlightened
I,m really interested to see the difference between the ph50 beam vs the NR, it looks like the ph50 have a very defined circle of light where the NR is washed out. Could anyone take beamshots showing it.
Thank you

vee73

Newly Enlightened
Hi
In this long-distance photos. The lamp and the camera distance is 1 kilometer. Forest edge and the end of the road trip 1300 meters.
Night Reaper is truly incredible! :poof:

8143010478557161536orig.jpg

8143010478557161537orig.jpg

8143010478557161540orig.jpg

8143010478557161541orig.jpg

8143010478557161535orig.jpg

Polarion PH50 give a bit more light on the surprisingly long. Due to the fact that almost all of the additional light output goes to a larger spot. PH40, ie in the middle of a small
bright part, while the PH50 is the bright spot region. PH50 therefore illuminates a larger part effectively.
I hope you understood me.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Great pictures Vee from a very interesting perspective. The shadows must be at least 150 meters long from that angle. These remind me of some of the pictures that Ken Good took on the receiving end of the light on the mountain roads, only yours are much further in distance. I've never taken these kinds of beam shots but I hope to sometime.

one2tim

Enlightened
It looks like the Ph50 have a neutral tint Where the ph40 and Night reaper is more cool White, is this true?

Patriot

Flashaholic
It looks like the Ph50 have a neutral tint Where the ph40 and Night reaper is more cool White, is this true?

They all use the same 35W bulb, therefore the higher the wattage the warmer the color. Over driving lowers the color temperature of bulbs producing warmer light.

one2tim

Enlightened
ok the pictures cheat a little then i think.

How is it in real life viewing the difference between ph50 and NR? the NR beam feels alot better?
I hope for even more beamshots :)

vee73

Newly Enlightened

How is it in real life viewing the difference between ph50 and NR? the NR beam feels alot better?

I have been becoming more photos.
My photos the colors look pretty close to correct. There are color differences.
In fact I would like to PH50 be the same color as the NR. It would be better to my needs. I've been thinking a bulb exchange. If luck would have different colors. I do not know whether it is possible?

Patriot

Flashaholic

The NR is very slightly warmer in color than my PH50 and the beam is focused slightly better for long distance. For ranges under 150 yards, I think I like the PH50 a bit more. For ranges over 150 yards, I think I like the NR's beam a bit more. The color temperature is a subtle difference compared to the beamshape though. My PH40 had a nearly identical shape to my PH50, just brighter. The NR's beamshape really seems to be a departure from other Polarion lights. Now that I've had time to study the bulb depths of the two lights it appears that the PH50's bulb is seated further into the reflector and the NR's bulb is pushed further toward the front. The funny thing is how minute the difference is. Like Ken stated earlier, a few thousands of an inch can make a big difference. I guess that's especially true for a small 3.5" reflector with such a narrow window of focal length.

Vesa, my NR is stepping down about 20% in output after 15 minutes of runtime. I was wondering if you had experienced the same thing yet. I'll restated it for the sake of google translator. My NR's light output reduces 20% after approximately 15 minutes of running. Does your do this also?

I guess Ken would also know if this was typical. :)

vee73

Newly Enlightened
Patriot, 15 minutes? Documentation indicating that this should happen in less than five minutes. My doing so. Period could be longer than I have.
For me, yes, this function also came as a surprise. Ashamed. I had not understood the instructions.
http://polarion-usa.com/pdfs/NightReaper_OpsManual.pdf

Ken, I would like to know whether at that time affected in any way?

Edit: Or, in fact, I do not know I want it to change, to gain more practical experience. I think 40W is usually enough light, but sometimes the extra power is needed. But on the other hand, I have already two 40W so it could return to full power for longer. It might even be a radio button to choose from. We have here is not the fear of overheating. now-25C

Night Reaper is 50/40W
8143010478557171241orig.jpg

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Patriot, 15 minutes? Documentation indicating that this should happen in less than five minutes. My doing so. Period could be longer than I have.
For me, yes, this function also came as a surprise. Ashamed. I had not understood the instructions.
http://polarion-usa.com/pdfs/NightReaper_OpsManual.pdf

I thought it was about 10-15 minutes, but maybe it's sooner. I'll have to go test mine for real. Thank you for the graph Vesa, this confirms what mine does also.

Last edited: