Poll: Do You Use Strobe/SOS Modes?

Do you use Stobe or SOS modes on your LED flashlights?

• Yes, I use both strobe and SOS modes.

Votes: 21 7.5%
  • No, but I would use both strobe and SOS modes if I liked the way the interface was done.

Votes: 14 5.0%
  • Yes, I use strobe modes.

Votes: 70 25.1%
  • No, but I would use strobe modes if I liked the way the interface was done.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • Yes, I use SOS modes.

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • No, but I would use SOS modes if I liked the way the interface was done.

Votes: 6 2.2%
  • I would not ever use blinky modes, no matter the interface, but I don't mind if they are there.

Votes: 37 13.3%
  • I would not ever use blinky modes, no matter the interface, and I don't even want them on my light.

Votes: 117 41.9%

• Total voters

correspondent

Newly Enlightened
I've experienced the need for it a number of times and when i did, i noticed instant access is crucial almost vital even. e.g. crossing through streets and foliage as both a warning device as well as a deterrent for certain unwanted wildlife confrontations. The sos i've used to help other individuals, when we're in a pack, to have an idea where i am the entire time when we're exploring a vast, dark secluded area.

dbare

Newly Enlightened
I have used both, mainly to entertain the grandchildren. I expect there will be a situation sometime where I will otherwise use one or the other.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would prefer not to have them. If they are hidden and easy to access that's OK. If there are going to be any hidden blinky modes I'd prefer that it was just a slow strobe/beacon. I don't need the disorienting type or one so slow that it doesn't get anyones attention. I only want one blinky mode even if hidden and easily accessible.

If it's hard to access it might as well not be on there either. I have a light that has a strobe (too fast for me) that is accessed just by two rapid clicks of the side switch. At least that's intuitive and yet not in the way during normal use.

Strobe/beacons on flashlights and headlamps is definitely an overdone thing. It's mainly there just due to one manufacturer copying another one rather than because of any real customer demand IMO....just like crenelated bezels and "tactical" tail switches.

Last edited:

DIΩDΣ

Enlightened
Here is my answer to the last strobe poll:
DIΩDΣ;3838065 said:
I use the strobe frequently jogging (on my ZL H51 headlamp). I like to jog during sunset to enjoy the view but this is a dangerous time to be on the road (I think even more dangerous than middle of the night), especially when I'm on narrow country roads with 55mph limits. As soon as the sun is setting I turn the strobe on and leave it on strobe until it starts getting dark enough to need the light to see by, then I shut of strobe and put the light on steady. The strobe also helps extend batterey life when I dont need the light to see, just to be visible to motorists.

Beacon/SOS I have never had and dont really see using it ever.

lwknight

Enlightened
I find the blinky modes annoying when its in the mode change menu.
It would be OK if they were all something like the TK41 that actually
requires you to double click the power button while the light is turned on.

spc smith

Enlightened
I find alot of people within bad standing of the strobe function having had crappy UI's that easily SET the strobe off, or just too complicated a UI in general. A strobe is NOT a self defense tool, but rather more for emergency signaling and grabbing someone's attention on the recieving end. I use the "strobe" function on my light from time to time to grab the attention of drivers coming up on my squads point too fast. It works well in that people pay attention closer when reds and blues or a strobe, bright light is involved indicating LE. The first thing someone thinks about is the presence of an LEO, MP behind that strobing light (quick birst). Command presence is everything in demanding someones attention without communication when its not possible to do so. It has it's place, but definately not for all EDC types.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
So long as it's "tactically" usable (lol!) I'm fine with Strobe.
I would use strobe a split second before whacking somebody in a strategic spot. Or maybe I'd use it for a few seconds if there was some situation that seemed like it could be resolved with just a little bit of demoralizing or momentary confusion. -I never get into either of those situations.

and as spc smith noted, strobe would be excellent for quickly getting someone's attention, so would shaking the light for that matter.

SOS, if it was ever needed at all would be really good to have, the whole point is that you can set it and leave it unattended while it sends a somewhat intelligible message. It can be/should be buried in the UI such that anyone can find it with enough monkeying but you don't have to go through it every time (like I have to do with my old Photon III, bleh).

Last edited:

RGB_LED

Enlightened
I use the strobe mode on my lights quite often as I cycle in the evenings and need to ensure that car drivers know I'm nearby. Very useful especially at intersections or on dimly lit side streets. I prefer lights where the strobe is hidden and used only when necessary. As for SOS, I don't like lights with that mode but I hope that I'm never in a situation where I need it or only have one hand to turn it on.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use strobe to get my cousin's attention when we meet somewhere in town - once or twice a year. I also occasionally use it to annoy coworkers at work or while stopped at a red light when leaving work (only if we're stopped side by side or one behind he other).

Edit: Almost forgot that I also use a red strobe for a backlight on my bicycle if I have to be on it at night.

Last edited:

tychoseven

Newly Enlightened
I wonder how Strobe/SOS became so prevalent on LED flashlights, since most of us seem to agree they're useful, but hardly necessary. Does "The Market" really demand these features from manufacturers? I see strobe on most brand-name headlamps these days as well.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Of to signal to a car, if he/she doesn't turn-off his/her hi-beam.

A perfect example of when not to use a strobe, and it's illegal too. Posters, please refrain from such comments. Infraction of CPF Rule 11 also. Also. when commenting on the use of strobe as a defense/offensive tool please identify yourselves as proficient in such a use, such as a LEO trained to use strobe, etc.

Bill

warriorsinc

Newly Enlightened
These strobe lights on some flashlights work wonders! I had to experience this weekend when one of my friends was trying his out! It BLINDS you and disorients you like crazy

spc smith

Enlightened
Agreed Bullzeyebill,

ONLY for emergency use, definately not self defense. I think of my "tactical" lights more as tools, and an aid in use completing a task. My primary and side arm are a last resort in accordance with escalation of force for anything after that. On the civilian side, I have used strobe while my vehicle had blown a tire on the highway at night, and my sweetheart wife had to come pick me up late and had NO PROBLEM in identifying where I was with my mini LED maglite. Ir definately served its purpose in locating me. And yes my wife has SERIOUSLY DIRECTIONALLY CHALLENGED ISSUESZZZ.. :ohgeez:

DIΩDΣ

Enlightened
A perfect example of when not to use a strobe, and it's illegal too. Posters, please refrain from such comments.
As I stated earlier I use strobe on the road while jogging along with thousands of others runners/bikers. So I am strobing motorists regardless of if they forgot to dim their high beams or not. Is that really illegal? I suppose that could be a problem if you light is brighter than say the low beam of a car, but I'm only talking my ZL H51w which is 172L tops. Its pretty common place if you ask me.

I like the ZL interface also, it allows you to set the strobe as the secondary high (you need to be in high and then double click) or take it out of the mode selection entirely. So it wont be accidentally activated.

LedTed

Enlightened
I've used the instant shortcut to strobe on my D10 three times. First time was to let a bicyclist know that he was blinding traffic with the strobe on his bike. Second was to "remind" my brother not to steal my stuff. Third was to get a hungry raccoon to back off for a moment while I went into the house.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've posted this in other threads but I recently had to use a strobe at an accident scene.

I tried flares but drivers ignored them.
I tried using the flashlight aimed a little bit below the windshield but drivers ignored it.
I aimed the flashlight at windshields but drivers ignored it.

Only the strobe got attention.

The flares were good and bright. The light has 220+ ANSI lumens. By ignoring them several drivers spun out on ice. At least two drivers hit a concrete retaining wall on the passenger side of their cars which I'd guess resulted in at least $1,000 damage to each car. Neither car bothered to stop. Like I said only the strobe got attention.

Heck yeah, I like the strobe feature.

spc smith

Enlightened
chmsam,

all I gotta say is.. dang you knocked that point outta the ball park!!!!! WHAT HE SAID & +1 for the proper usage of strobbing and "GRABBING" the attention, of passerby drivers in an outright stated emergency. Who's to say in a worse case scenario, the road banked into an iced turn which overlooked a 500 ft drop from a cliff at the scene of the first accident, and you as a cop are trying at all possible to stop further traffic from advancing right on the spot. Makes sense in the free world to have that extra strobe function.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks but once again I'll say that I'm not a LEO or first responder. My friends and I just happened on the scene but luckily we have a bunch of training & experience that most folks don't have. I'm also a low budget gearhead and EDC a lot of crap. Sure did come in handy.

As for the scenario you described, well it wasn't a 500' drop off.

It was an overpass ramp that is curved and banked, and it was covered in black ice. There are concrete protective walls about waist high. The other side of the wall is a drop off onto a multi-lane expressway below. It isn't a place for rookies and I would have been a lot happier somewhere else. It was good that I knew I was capable of doing the job long enough for the deputies to arrive. That took more than 5 minutes from the time we arrived -- that's a long time under the circumstances and a lot can (and did) happen in that time.

Even though it was at night there was enough traffic to make it interesting. Added to that was the recommended speed on the ramp is about 40, the speed limit in the area is 55, and so of course most folks do about 60 - 65 mph or a little better. While I wasn't really scared I will say that I was very attentive to the surroundings. Woof!

I am not tooting my own horn. This is just to show how important that light was in that situation and at that time. Also it's a good example of why people without training should probably not stop in a situation like that. No one likes to write up more paperwork and the ME's don't like messy scenes. I'm experienced and I knew what I could and also could not do. I knew the risks. I'm not a hero. I just tried to keep things from getting worse.

It's good to be prepared and better to realize your limitations.

So, yeah I will say again that I like having a strobe feature. In that case that one was the right amount of brightness and fast enough of a strobe to really do the job. Of course everyone's mileage may vary but there are a lot of choices of lights out there so choose the one that's right for you but consider that a strobe feature adds no size or weight to a flashlight and could become a very useful tool.

Last edited: