Poll: Do You Use Strobe/SOS Modes?

Do you use Stobe or SOS modes on your LED flashlights?

• Yes, I use both strobe and SOS modes.

Votes: 21 7.5%
  • No, but I would use both strobe and SOS modes if I liked the way the interface was done.

Votes: 14 5.0%
  • Yes, I use strobe modes.

Votes: 70 25.1%
  • No, but I would use strobe modes if I liked the way the interface was done.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • Yes, I use SOS modes.

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • No, but I would use SOS modes if I liked the way the interface was done.

Votes: 6 2.2%
  • I would not ever use blinky modes, no matter the interface, but I don't mind if they are there.

Votes: 37 13.3%
  • I would not ever use blinky modes, no matter the interface, and I don't even want them on my light.

Votes: 117 41.9%

• Total voters

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know many others whine and moan about the strobe function on lights, but I find that they have a legitimate purpose for me. For one, strobe works great at getting ones attention either in a crowd or from a distance, both which I have done on more than one occasion. I also would use it as opposed to high mode should I need to temporarily disorient another; I know that this is only a temporary measure just as high mode is.

I have several lights that I prefer single mode function on as well as tri modes only without strobe. Depending what I'll be doing with the light or where I'll be going... backpacking in the mountains, EDC house light or late night dog walking light, dictates which light I grab. Hidden function lights with strobe and SOS seem to appease the antistrobe crowds, but I find that this negates it's usefulness... at least for me. My ideal "tactical" light has been ones with high and strobe functions only with a forward clicky switch. I don't think that there are any lights currnetly made that please every flashaholics wishes and there probably will never be. It boils down to personal preference. Like in the gun world... the never ending debate of 9mm vs 40S&W vs 45cal.

mrlysle

Enlightened
I appreciate having strobe and sos functions on some of my lights. I also like the locator beacon on my HDS lights. When going out in the woods, wilderness, whatever, the active locator beacon could prove very useful if you dropped your light unknowingly, and went looking for it. Also, in my job, we often are flying in a helicopter cross country, sometimes with houses very few and far between. I've often wondered what we would do if we had to ditch in one of these more remote areas. Well, if I was physically able, and of the mind, I'd definitely put one of my lights in sos mode, and prop it where it could be seen from the air, hopefully to get someones attention. Batteries would last a long time if only operating a light in locator beacon or sos mode. I also like the idea of being able to more easily grab someones attention with a strobe if needed. Obviously they aren't modes I use regularly, but I'm glad they are there. My HDS rotary is programmed for the rotary control, sos, and the tac strobe. All available in just a couple clicks if needed.

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
If my car breaks down on a busy street, I want to have strobe available, especially if the lights on the car aren't working.

Abbot

Newly Enlightened
Most people choose "I would not ever use blinky modes, no matter the interface, and I don't even want them on my light. " This just reflect that many people don't want blinky modes. some people choose "Yes, I use strobe modes. " just like my choice.

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to have a strobe option if it was tucked away since it can come in handy but not very often.

I also feel that strobe mode would be a better option for any situation that would require SOS mode.

cpflogin

Newly Enlightened
SOS - Most these days likely don't even know the pattern. You can catch attention much easier with strobe or other motions. Strobe - Party trick...drunk kryptonite, attention grabber off of street signs...raves....what's not to love.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even though there are fewer and fewer people who understand what an SOS signal is, I'd consider it just because it is different.

Strobes might be perceived as a regular, rhythmic pattern and that tends to blend into the background. For example a strobe could be seen as just a tower marker or the like.

Because an SOS is unusual it might stand a better chance of being noticed. For the dwindling number of folks who know even that little bit of Morse code it would be instantly recognized.

Again, this is a feature that weighs nothing and takes up no space. Many lights have strobe and SOS features that are less obtrusive to the regular functions of the light as well. While I wouldn't want either feature to be #1 on the controls for a flashlight I don't mind them being there in the background.

Then again I do know people who take the spare tire out of their vehicle 'cause it takes up too much space when they go on road trips (especially to the outlet malls). Their logic is that they haven't had a flat... yet.

Ain't that the definition of "the kiss of death?" And these are the same sort of people who call for help and then get ticked off at you because your spare doesn't fit their vehicle.

Better to have it and not need it maybe?

Last edited:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
[...]
Then again I do know people who take the spare tire out of their vehicle 'cause it takes up too much space when they go on road trips (especially to the outlet malls). Their logic is that they haven't had a flat... yet.

Ain't that the definition of "the kiss of death?" And these are the same sort of people who call for help and then get ticked off at you because your spare doesn't fit their vehicle.

Better to have it and not need it maybe?

:eek:

My ex boss once started cursing at the emergency kit that "what do we have this for? we never used it". The afternoon of the same day I saw him use it because he cut himself. The next day it had been completely updated and upgraded. Maybe everyone sould be taken through emergency situations just to get the idea of preparedness into their skull.

That said, I can easily do without an SOS mode if I have momentary. Then again, if I had to do it 10 hours in a row, I'd rather have an SOS mode and sit back enjoying a coconut.

rufusbduck

Newly Enlightened
As a diver, I would like beacon, SOS, readily available but not in regular cycle. As an mtber, no blinky modes at all, the best light to be seen by is one that allows you to SEE REALLY FAR. I like the drivers that allow access to the different mode groups via switching vs soldering as I don't usually bring my iron along on night dives.

rlichter

Newly Enlightened
Strobe, anyone?

Perhaps I should begin this with a question: for what use is the virtually ubiquitous "strobe" function really intended? Is there background evidence from military or police practice? My understanding is that a strobe light is a survival tool that will disorient an attacker allowing one time to run away or counter-attack. I've read comments that there is actually some danger in the effect a strobe may have. On the other hand, I've also read comments that a fixed frequency strobe does very little to disorient, while a variable frequency strobe does more but still won't stop an attacker. What is the straight dope on this topic? Does anyone have empirical information of how to use a strobe effectively in a dangerous situation and what effect it has? Or is it just as likely to accomplish nothing but the escalation of an already dangerous situation? One wouldn't want to rely on a tool that in an emergency does not accomplish what one expects: the temporary disabling of an attacker.

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Strobe, anyone?

I've used it to great effect chasing my cats around the yard and out into the woods. I've used it for raves in my closet. I've even used it to disable myself.

TweakMDS

Enlightened

In my opinion it's absolutely useless for any personal defense purposes. Best case scenario you'll inflict some heavy blinking and confusion which might give you a few extra seconds to turn and run.

However, for signalling and warning it's great. If I'd drive my car in a ditch because of ice on the roads (quite common this winter), I'd prefer to have a flashlight with a strobe to alert other drivers.
I also use it in fire drills to communicate with the team outside (a continuous strobing light would mean "help me" in that scenario).

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have used strobe often on duty while directing traffic. I have also used it effectively to disorient intoxicated ppersons and take them into custody. It doesn't work well in general use and every situation is different. I have also used to signal other officers and ambulances.

wdkingery

Newly Enlightened

Post deleted, see rule #11 which states in part: You agree, through your use of this BB, that you will not post any material which is illegal or which promotes activity that is illegal or could reasonably be foreseen to threaten any person's safety. - Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

Grizzlyb

Enlightened

Strobe does work for that what it is intended for, disorientation.
It will not STOP an attacker, but it does disorientate.
When You are trained to use that short moment of disorientation, It helps to control the opponent faster. That's all.
Take all the advantages to Your side, or create advantages. (that's what the word "tactical" is all about)
We especially use it in non weapon situations, where the use of pepperspary is not advisable.
A good strobe takes the visibility away for a short moment and disorientates enough to work with.

We worked at our Police Academy with over 400 students with tactical light training and did a survey about their findings. (with or without strobe and what kind of strobe)
Most students (in the role of opponent) had much more difficulty's to defend when the strobe was used. Especially when both officers used the Strobe during the arrest.
(Standing in a V on both sides of the opponent at 2 to 3 Yards) Some of them even felt a bit nausea after a vew seconds.

We also found, that it was very hard/impossible, to even find the strobe mode under high stress levels, even during training sessions.
So We had our Tactical Lights produced in a way that the lights ALWAYS start-up in Strobe.
When they want to use the tactical light for reading or searching, just hold the tail switch 2 sec. Then the other modes can be used.

We also found that the strobe was more effective in lights with more throw and less flood. (more Lux in the eyes)
The strobe frequency was more disorienting above 10hz and was less effective above 22hz. (best around 20hz, but that was more general feeling then hard proof)

This is only what we found during training and research in the last 5 Years. These latest results are from 2012.
Newer test will be conducted in 2013 with other lights and different situations.
We are developing the use of Tactical Lights during work and training in hand to hand combat since 2008.

You don't want to know how hard it was to find a manufactor that "saw the light", and said;
OK, tell us what You want, We'll see if we can build it.

TK41

Newly Enlightened

^ Great post. Which shows why Fenix's, and similar UI lights, strobe is a joke for defense. Especially for their TK series, it's ridiculous to not have an instantly accessible strobe. To strobe with the average Fenix. Do you think this can all happen in time as somebody surprise attacks you while you're out walking?

1). Turn on light at tailcap, usually in a cigar hand syle.
2) Re-orient your hand so you can press the mode button.
3) Click and hold the mode button.

or even if you already have the light out and on, you still need to find the tiny mode rubber button and hold it down. If you have gloves on, forget about it.

"We also found, that it was very hard/impossible, to even find the strobe mode under high stress levels, even during training sessions."

Last edited:

Latest posts