post something you always wanted as a kid but never got

raggie33

*the raggedier*

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Basically almost everything in FAO Schwartz. I used to love going there, and wishing my parents had the money to afford some of those toys. Some of the toys cost more than my parents made in a year.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
A red Lamborghini car with some helium filled missile balloons tied to the back. (Have to have some way to keep the cops from giving me a speeding ticket.)

chip100t

Enlightened
for xmas 1982 my dad took me to a bike shop and I picked out a beautiful raleigh burner. Xmas morning I ran downstairs to find a grifter xl. Gutted does not come close. When I asked my dad what happened to the bike I chose the said the man in the shop told him when he went to pick it up that the grifter was stronger and would last longer (more like the burners were flying of the shelf and he was looking for a sucker to sell the xl to). I had a full on tantrum.

While my friends were doing jumps using old milk crates and planks of wood I could only watch (or often laid in the road while they jumped over me). As my grifter weighed marginally less than a challenger tank.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i love all vettes except the ones that was out around 1984 man they was ugly

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Every Xmas I asked Santa for just one 🤩
Screenshot_20220409-163115~2.png

The year I turned sixteen (back in the bronze age) my dad had a good year in his business, and as the year-end holidays approached he was feeling pretty generous. He asked what I wanted for Christmas. Without a moment's hesitation I replied "a handmade Italian sports car." He knew I was joking, but I was nonetheless hopeful that perhaps a Volkswagen Beetle or some other modest mode of transportation might be on offer, since only one month earlier I had passed my driving test and was awarded a license.

Christmas morning arrived and there was a really, really well-wrapped box under the tree with my name on it. The wrapping paper had an automotive theme. I remember feeling a rush of excitement, barely contained. I savored opening the box, wherein I got a bittersweet surprise: he had gifted me exactly what I had asked for, a twelve inch machined model of a Lamborghini, in detailed metal (like the Matchbox cars but bigger in scale), lovingly assembled by hand from a kit.

At that moment I deeply understood the importance of being careful in phrasing my desires. I still have that model car. I have yet to acquire the full size Lamborghini.

[Post Script - I never lost my taste for Italian roadsters, and two years later I received a consolation prize of sorts. After I graduated high school but before I went off to college I convinced my folks to let me buy a Fiat Spyder convertible. Italian manufacturer, check. Sports car, check. Even though it wasn't a Lamborghini, cruising sorority row at school was still a sweet experience.]

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i wish i kept some of the gifts my mom gave me. damn i miss her so so much

Laser_Project

Newly Enlightened
visit.png

When you have lost faith in humanity, even as a kid, you look up seeking sane leadership hoping they don't come with a book in their hand "How to Serve Humans". My disappointment in humanity has only grown worse with what is happening in Ukraine, unfortunately. ET won't have much to do with the human animal, too violent, kills its own.

Last edited:

Franquixote

Newly Enlightened
Commodore 64. Oh, I had the bike nightmare too, a Schwin pos was still riding when my friends were on 10 speeds and my knees were hitting the handles bars... owned until I bought my first car (300ZX,thanks for helping gramma).
My parents fell for an Apple IIe, which SUCKED if you wanted to program or hack games. By the time I could afford an Amiga on my own, I missed most of the basics of how to "crack games". I know my life would have been different if I had that computer, probably in a bad way.

Latest posts