post something you always wanted as a kid but never got

lisantica

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wanted a SONY Walkman, but instead received a cheap no-name brand one that hissed and crackled in my ears. I still used it, but I longed for better quality.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I had a basic set of Legos as a child and I recall wanting some of the fancier ones that had grain-of-wheat lights in them. My family couldn't afford that but it was an early indication of my fascination with things that light up.

ironhorse

Enlightened
This! I wanted one sooooo bad when I was young.

I've been eyeing the Honda Trail 125 they currently make. I'm a little afraid I'll just hurt myself if I buy one though.
:(

The Trail 125 (CT125) is basically unavailable. Mg dealer got 1 in December 2020. I was number 2 on the list. They still have not gotten any more in.

Honda just announced recently that they are releasing the ST125 (Dax) in Europe. No word on if the U.S. is getting any.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
When I was about 12 I wanted some doo doo brown leather high top Vans skateboard shoes from California. I finally had the ca$h to order some from a magazine so I gave that to my mom who wrote a check and mailed it off with the order form. That was when school let out in June.

Back then a check took up to three weeks to clear. That and Vans had had expoloded onto the youth culture scene like an atomic bomb so the Van Dorn brothers were busier than Santas elves.

My shoes finally arrived in late August. Trouble was when I ordered them I wore size 9. When they arrived I was wearing size 10.
Doh!!

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guns. I shot air & .22 rifles/pistols in the past as well as occasionally a S&W 686 that belonged to my father, but never owned any myself.
I just bought my first rifle today, a 1979 Sauer 80 in .30-06. I will likely also pick up BRNO 601 in .243. I got a deal on the Sauer I couldn't pass up (was looking for one of those for a couple years) and the .243 will be great for getting into centerfire cartridges.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Nice. Apparently some of those older Hess trucks are worth some money today.
I have one complete 1975 version (not the rarer one), and another with just the tractor, although the trailer might be floating around somewhere. Both look somewhat used from play. I also found the 1980 training van in its original box. Looks to be in decent shape. Didn't think they were worth anything. I vaguely remember having the 1977 or 1978 tanker truck, but right now it's nowhere to be found.

My father didn't buy these every year but when he bought them for us he also bought at least one for himself.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
Honda Trail 70.
+

My brother had a mint one, he sold it like 15 years ago maybe,
that paid for a good chunk of a new Yamaha Zuma 125.

In the 80s' , dreamed of a Honda ATC250R
1649639025268.png

By Ben Hallert - Own work, GFDL, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=10723672

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
i wish i kept some of the gifts my mom gave me. damn i miss her so so much
Lost my Mom to colon cancer in '07. When she was around, I got really into backpacking in high school and college. One of the last gifts she gave me was a Primus Multifuel stove. I still use it to this day. It runs on coleman fuel, kerosene, gasoline, diesel, jet fuel, butane, and with an adapter now propane as well. She offered to get me a bear canister she said she found cheap at Walmart. I had to turn her down after seeing it for myself.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Reliance-Hassock-Portable-Toilet/10098758?athbdg=L1300
I didn't get the "bear canister" but I think I got her sense of humor.

experimentjon

Newly Enlightened
I'm now 30+ and coming into this thread, was so sure that I could name so many things that I wanted as a kid that my parents never got me. I remember hearing "no" so many times when we'd be in the toy store or when I wanted the latest clothes brand that the other kids at school might have...

But then I actually have a really hard time thinking of anything I truly wanted as a kid that I never got. Part of it might have been that I didn't want too many things. But I don't really think that was it...because even as a grown adult that should have more impulse control, despite what Buddhism teaches, that wanting is the root of all suffering, I definitely still have a lot of wants (and would not consider myself Buddhist). Maybe it was because my parents actually got me the things that I really wanted--for example, a Gameboy color, or an iPod, or a simple Citizen quartz watch. And maybe it was because I hustled for the rest of it like Pokemon cards or the money to get a PS2.

And this is taking it to a massive detour, but perhaps this was all a lesson that can be summarized in three pithy truisms that quietly got drilled into me as a kid:
1. Live within your means
2. You can have anything you want, but not everything you want.
3. If you want to buy things without looking at the price tag, you should be able to work without looking at the clock.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
im pretty sure i had the hess truck with the openable side door a course it lite up. one of my fav thing to play as a kid was cars. we live in the hood the folks next door only had dirt in there yard perfect for makeing roads .id play for hours. the hess truck was so cool working lites i think it used a d cel; battery

Rickajho

Newly Enlightened
I was an audio snob by age six. When the ancient Voice of Music "portable" died I begged for months for a replacement. And it had to have a changer like the old one.

What I got that Christmas was this crappy Sears thing in a pressboard case covered in vinyl. The plastic tone arm was loose and skipped over as many records as it played properly. Oh - no changer. Pook.

It took me 10 years - and a lot of odd kid jobs - to get over that one and buy my first real turntable, an Acoustic Research AR XA.