Post your camera equipment/setup!

sigmo

Newly Enlightened
p959631341.jpg

One of my good old F-1 bodies. It still works great despite being well beaten.

I, too, miss metal lenses with aperture rings and DOF scales, but I have gone digital for the most part these days.

I use a Canon 40D with a 20D for backup for serious work and a nice little Sony DSC-HX5V for compactness. And it shoots HD video, so that's kind of a treat.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Great thread here !

Love seeing the Vintage camera equipment !

:)

I have a question, for those of you who have a Recent Canon Digital EOS SLR . . . .

How do you like the "self-cleaning sensor" ? ? ?

Does this process really work as well as you'd like ?

I own a Canon EOS 20D, and (alas), i need to periodically clean my sensor. :(

Manually. By hand. (using the "Copperhill" method)

(ie: Rubber spatula, Pec Pads, and Eclipse solution)

I would REALLY be happy, if the NEW models would no longer require this hassle.

:whistle:

So, tell me your opinions, please.

:thanks:
_

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Burgess,

It would mainly depend on how often you change your lenses, and if you use a telephoto often or not (as they move quite a bit of air).

Dust isn't *too* bad, I guess - since the camera's default setting is to do the sensor cleaning before and after startup, you don't really notice that is removes dust.

Regardless, my 4 year old XTi has needed cleaning only once.. a few months ago, as I had a problem with welded dust :barf: that I had to use a wet sensor cleaner to remove!

If you decide to upgrade to a newer dslr, and the 20D needs a new home.. well.. :whistle:

Lost Hawaiian

Newly Enlightened
Burgess,

I think the self cleaning feature is nice, but I certainly don't think it's a necessary option (at least for me).

I mainly shoot a MkIIN, a 20D, and a 40D.

I was having some dust issues on the IIN because I use it more than all my other bodies combined. A few years ago, I picked up an Arctic Butterfly. I went over all my sensors thoroughly, and since then have only used the Butterfly if I noticed a problem.

The key is just to be careful when changing lenses. I usually carry 2 bodies when shooting. One of the main reasons for this is so I don't have to swap lenses as much.
Keeping sensors clean is to me more a case of practicing good prevention rather than having a good method of cleanup.

Telephoto lenses don't inherently stir more air. The only lenses you have to worry about this with are push-pull zooms such as the 100-400 or 28-300. You will see these referred to as "dust suckers". I'm not saying their not nice lenses, but they can cause more maintenance issues.

To a lesser degree, you will face the same situation with any lenses that change length when you zoom or focus, such as the 24-105, as they are still displacing air.

Having said all this, I'll leave you with my 2c...

1) While a self-cleaning sensor is nice (and I do believe they help), it is not one of key features I need, and lack thereof would not be a deal-breaker. I personally wouldn't purchase a newer camera for this alone.

2) If you decide to upgrade in the future (and face it, most of us here understand the overwhelming desire to do this), hang on to your 20D (sorry csshih). There is just something about the sensor in the 20D and the MkII series that sets it apart.
I have used everything up to the MkIII's and the only one (IMHO) that exceeds it is the original 5D. No matter what in-camera settings I use, the images from this sensor have that "feel". Kind of like the results I used to get from Fuji Velvia.

Hope this helps...

Rich

Burgess

Flashaholic
Thank you, Craig and Rich, for your responses.

Yes indeed, i am always VERY careful when changing Lenses.

Also, i don't have any "trombone-style" or "dust-sucker" lenses.

But when i'm using my Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro lens, at f/11 (for good DOF)
i am greeted by a *Pointed Reminder* that it is time (once again) to clean my sensor.

:awman:

Wondering if the New Models would make this hassle a thing of the past.

Note to Craig -- It was very kind of you to offer to buy my OLD camera,
but really, as a struggling student, your money would probably be better suited elsewhere.

:poke:
_

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
Note to Craig -- It was very kind of you to offer to buy my OLD camera, but really, as a struggling student, your money would probably be better suited elsewhere.
Thank you very much for your consideration, well, I'm not struggling *too* badly, and I set aside funds for fun stuff. Flashlights, Lasers, Knives, Test equipment, etc..

The XTi I have here is pretty beat up at this point, and it's on its way out.. so when you pick up a newer cam and feel like it's just going to sit collecting dust... :naughty: but by all means I am not pressuring you! :huh:

sigmo

Newly Enlightened
Burgess:

I have noticed that the 40D is very noticeably better than the 20D for dust. So the dust reduction methods employed in the 40D are an improvement.

I shoot a LOT of macro, and as you've noticed, when using small apertures, dust is a fairly serious issue. I figure I clean the 40D about a tenth as often as the 20D, but it's still far from dust free. I still need to manually clean its sensor every so often.

So I'd say that the anti-dust features help, but they don't eliminate the need for periodic manual cleaning, particularly if you shoot at small apertures where the very tiny dust shows up.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Thank you, sigmo.

Your answer was Very Helpful !

:thumbsup:

Oh, by the way . . . .

Welcome to CandlePowerForums !

:welcome:
_

Burgess

Flashaholic
to :)

Welcome to CandlePowerForums ! ! !

:welcome:

Could you perhaps give us (me) your opinion of the 7D compared to 20D ?

-- Image quality

-- anything else you would like to mention

Thank you.

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
aw, I have to update my first post again. currently rocking a 50D but looking to update to a 7D..

I realize video is actually important to me.

CampingLED

Enlightened
:) What do you think of your longer zooms? My feeling is that optically the 70-200 and 70-300 DO are quite close to each other and that the 100-400 falls quite short of the other two.

:-)

Newly Enlightened
to :)
Could you perhaps give us (me) your opinion of the 7D compared to 20D ?
-- Image quality
-- anything else you would like to mention

Thank you.

Hi Burgess,

Thanks for the re-welcome to CPF. I was 'one of the few' being dropped out after the CPF crash.

The short answer: Image quality of the 7D is a lot better than the 20D. You can see 5 years of technological improvements (and dual DIGIC 4), especially when using a high quality lens.

Most noticeable is the better resolution of the 7D. The difference however between 40D and 7D is smaller than the difference between 20D and 40D.
Regarding ISO my 20D and 40D maximum setting is 400 due to the noisy image with higher ISO. Using the 7D, I get satisfactory (on screen) results up to ISO 1600.

Other attractive features of the 7D compared to the 20D:
-Sensor dust reduction
-Very fast AF
-8 frames/second in continuous shooting
-Live view (macro photography)
-AF adjustment for individual lenses
-Wireless flash control
-Weather sealing

Only downside could be the 0.3 lbs (20%) increase in weight.

:-)

Newly Enlightened
:) What do you think of your longer zooms? My feeling is that optically the 70-200 and 70-300 DO are quite close to each other and that the 100-400 falls quite short of the other two.
Both the 70-200 2.8 L and the 100-400 4.5-5.6 L are excellent lenses giving you really sharp results.
They are however about two times heavier than the 70-300DO, and will attract more attention because of the white color.

For the price you pay for the 70-300 DO you may expect better results than you'll get. The image is quite soft and needs additional sharpening during post processing. You really need to use this lens stopped down because of this. It's also prone to flare when used wide open. AF and IS are very good.

If you like to travel light without attracting much attention the DO is a nice option. If you are going for the best results, choose one of the L-lenses!

Last edited:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm such a cheapskate! I still use an old Nikon D50... I have the 18-55mm kit lens, a 50mm 1.8, a 35mm 1.8 and a 55-200. SB400 which is the cheapest flash they offer, but it can be pointed up for a bounce flash.

My main point and shoot is the Panasonic DMC-ZS3 which has the cool zoom lens that goes down to 25mm... that's the main reason I got it.

Also have a 4 or 5 Canon SD500/550s which were pretty trick in that they used the larger 1/1.8" sensor which allows for a lot more light to be captured so there's less noise and
nice contrast.

A couple sample shots. Shot of my EDC knife taken with the Panasonic point and shoot. Lighting is almost everything in my opinion and this one had that perfect golden sunset lighting. You definitely get spoiled with a decent DSLR and a nice lens, but sometimes it surprises you how decent a P&S can do in a pinch.

P1010078a1.jpg

Pic of a new-ish Russian Orthodox church taken with the Nikon and the kit lens. I think this was taken about 3 days after I got the camera and everything was set to full automatic, I believe.

DSC_0255a1.jpg

A pic of one of my guitars taken with the Nikon and the 35mm lens and natural light:

DSC_6232a1.jpg

I think this one came out pretty nice. Nearly random snapshot of a pedal I put up for sale. Nikon, probably the 35mm lens and the bounced flash:

DSC_3153a1.jpg

Burgess

Flashaholic
I love the Rolleiflex TLR's ! ! !

Can't beat 6x6 on 120.

Oh, the memories they've captured.

flashlightscanada

Newly Enlightened
Canon Bodies:
EOS 7D
EOS 40D
EOS 20D
PowerShot G10

Lenses:
EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM
EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM
EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM
EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM
EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM

Flash and Accessories:
Speedlite 580EX
Battery Grip BG-E7
Remote Switch RS-80N3
Manfrotto 055MF4 Tripod / 468MGRC2 Head
Gitzo GM3550 Monopod / Manfrotto 486RC2 Head

I must admit I am envious of your gear. I shoot a 7d myself with the 24-105 f4L. I switched from Nikon so I could take advantage of the better video that Canon offers but had to give up on having many lenses and speedlights to afford the upgrade.

At least I can still use my Manfrotto stuff!

Cheers,

Steve