Power Outage, How many Lumens, How many batteries? (for lights and more)

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
That would be the straight multimeter reading; for the more accurate measure you need to load test - alkaline cells, especially ones that have sat unused for long periods of time, will show full voltage under no load, then die completely when a load is applied.

If you're going to store your batteries for that long, you should move to lithium primary cells, as they can manage decade-plus stretches of rest as part of their normal operation.

I did not intend to store them, I just put the light away and forgot it. However, I would not pay the price for lithium batteries.
Thanks,
Jerry

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think lithiums are worth the price for a true, emergency-only, intentionally-forget-about-it light.

I also think that Eneloops are so incredible that you can't go wrong with them on an annual checkup/charge strategy in lieu of lithium.

I read a user on here uses both; he keeps his emergency lights loaded with Eneloops, with a pack of lithium stored with the light. - and I think that's the ultimate!

Poppy

Flashaholic
Thanks Grijon! :)

I have been meaning to order a five pack of these USB lights ever since buds224 posted about them.

I did just that, and they are pretty neat. Would recommend them.
lol.... so doc, guess what Poppy has coming in the mail?

It'll be like adding five little power outage lights to my collection of loaners. Can't wait to get them, to try them out :rolleyes: Will I ever grow up?

Somewhere along the line my Convoy S2 disappeared, so I ordered a S2+ replacement, but this time with the 4C tint.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I'm really warming up to Poppy's love of the D-cell for home emergency use.

This cell easily has 50% more energy than an 18650 at the "lantern" outputs I would typically be using it and it's easy enough to rig for use with my existing EDC AA flashlight collection - I could litter the house with them. No need to buy anything (but the batts) and I'd have better efficiency, nicer tints, more mode selection, and current regulation (hate PWM). Don't even care if the cell leaks as it will be out of body. They store for 10yr and are barely over $1 a piece online. All that said, I need more batts like a hole in the head. ;)

bluemax_1

Enlightened
lol.... so doc, guess what Poppy has coming in the mail?

It'll be like adding five little power outage lights to my collection of loaners. Can't wait to get them, to try them out :rolleyes: Will I ever grow up?

Somewhere along the line my Convoy S2 disappeared, so I ordered a S2+ replacement, but this time with the 4C tint.

I actually bought that whole setup and it works great!

Just a little FYI, the little USB lights have a light sensor (which is how they work as emergency/night lighting. They go off when there's ambient light, turn on when it's dark). This also means that it's possible to increase the runtime by placing anything reflective near the light. For example, I have one of these setups permanently plugged in to an outlet in the main bathroom. The outlet is located underneath a shelf over the toilet. The reflection of the light off the bottom of the white shelf is enough to dim it, which incidentally, works perfectly for night bathroom trips without blindingly bright light.

In a power outage, I'd leave the one in the bathroom, but could use the other ones with a white paper reflector for area/room lighting while the paper would also make the light dimmer and run longer.

Max

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man this sucker is still going strong. One thing is for certain. CPF LOVES Power Outages / Disasters & the potential for Societal Collapse. ;)

That said, I've switched up my blackout mojo from my previous post: HDS 325 - 12 Pack of CR123 - 60 Continuos Days OF Bullet Proof Emergency Lighting.

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
With my current setup I have enough AA NiMH emergency power for nearly three weeks of lighting, assuming that my wife and I are each using a light on medium (50-120L per light).

If we take the same situation (5 hours per day per person) and use the lights on low (8-15L per light) then we have enough AA NiMH emergency power for over 23 weeks of light.

With that being said, the longest power outage I've personally experienced was 3 hours...

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man this sucker is still going strong. One thing is for certain. CPF LOVES Power Outages / Disasters & the potential for Societal Collapse. ;)

Yep!

That said, I've switched up my blackout mojo from my previous post: HDS 325 - 12 Pack of CR123 - 60 Continuos Days OF Bullet Proof Emergency Lighting.

:) If it's really pitch black you can get away with much less light than if there is some ambient light pollution. Eyes are interesting things.

1. Program Armytek Predator to firefly mode for ~120 days continuous run time off of one 18650 lion.
2. 12 pack of 18650 lions.
3. ???
4. Profit!

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep!

:) If it's really pitch black you can get away with much less light than if there is some ambient light pollution. Eyes are interesting things.

1. Program Armytek Predator to firefly mode for ~120 days continuous run time off of one 18650 lion.
2. 12 pack of 18650 lions.
3. ???
4. Profit!

Yeah, I'v broken out of my USA comfort zone and am looking at the Viking 1010...... 300 meters of throw.

Im not worried about firefly, the HDS is very unlikely to give me any trouble in any condition.

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
With my current setup I have enough AA NiMH emergency power for nearly three weeks of lighting, assuming that my wife and I are each using a light on medium (50-120L per light).

If we take the same situation (5 hours per day per person) and use the lights on low (8-15L per light) then we have enough AA NiMH emergency power for over 23 weeks of light.

With that being said, the longest power outage I've personally experienced was 3 hours...

If you are without power for 23 weeks you should watch some of the Alaska programs, and see how it is to live off the grid.:):)
Hope you don't have to do that.
Jerry

Poppy

Flashaholic
That would be the straight multimeter reading; for the more accurate measure you need to load test - alkaline cells, especially ones that have sat unused for long periods of time, will show full voltage under no load, then die completely when a load is applied.

StarHalo,
I recalled reading this in another thread.
<snip>
... try to measure the voltages under-load say about 1 Amp -
use a 1 ohm 10 watt resistor between the terminals and then measure the voltage -
this is the voltage under load at about ~1.2 Amps.
Method:
I used small magnets to hold a pair of jumper wires to each end of the battery. I then shorted the battery with the resistor, and took a voltage measurement. This was compared to the voltage without the resistor.

Here are some numbers:
A healthy NiMH AA duraloop fully charged measured 1.387 V, and under load dropped to 1.375 V
A lightly used AA alkaline 1.515 V dropped to 1.453 V under load
A fresh D alkaline measured 1.596V and under load dropped to 1.523V
An OLD Alkaline D cell Energizer -Use By 2008 - measured 1.574V and under load 1.473V.
A somewhat depleted D Carbon-Zinc 1.402 V dropped to 1.09 V under load!

Last edited:

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great post, Poppy. Post #492 is a book in one post. :) Here's my book in one post. I hope you enjoy my partial biography.

Week and a half without power after Katrina for me, some areas much longer than that. People were driving an hour or more to find ice, gasoline, and chainsaws. The irony, driving to find gasoline and reaching for a chainsaw in an emergency. The stores were open in daylight, but wouldn't let you inside. Cash only, ATMs failed. It ran on long enough that many fell back to candles and oil lamps. People began getting up at dawn and settling down at dusk. No D cells, no AA cells, everyone begged for them. Kerosene, you name it... it was unavailable.

Food processing facilities failed. Food cold storage failed. Canned good supplies were vanishing. Store shelves were bare. Emergency supplies were inbound, but nobody knew where to go.

Water systems failed as the pumps couldn't run and they lost pressure. Even running those on generators was a boil water notice that nobody could receive and capacity couldn't keep up with drain.

Gas pumps were running off of gennies with prices at roughly 2x-3x, there was gouging. Some places were dipping directly from the tank with a can and a rope. 3 am Gasoline theft became rampant.

My group donated generators and chainsaws. We gave a generator and drained the gas from my relatives motorcycle to keep a generator running for an oxygen concentrator for a bed ridden woman nearby. It kept her alive, but it was a close call. I ran the extension cord myself.

I was a runner, a volunteer. Handing out lights and batteries, man. The first priority was clearing the roads to the linemen could do their job. This means telling the chainsaw men which roads were blocked, but I could get through the downed trees because of what I was driving... The phone systems and internet died, even where the lines weren't down. ARRL mobilized, activating emergency communication systems. Repeaters went live, digital radio to internet to email gateways went live. "...spot or a call to action."

I rocked a 12 volt 250 cc motorcycle and endured. Might as well charge while making an ice run. Lots of people I know only have 1 vehicle that gets 8-15 MPG due to work requirements. If I keep it under 50 mph, I get 80-90 MPG with no fairing, depending on conditions and stopping requirements. See also: Vetter economy challenge. Craig Vetter is like the Vinh Nguyen of gas mileage. If I'd tricked my 250 like Craig Vetter, I'd have been getting 120-175 mpg. It's something to consider for the next disaster. The bike is laid up right now, waiting for the next emergency. The battery failed, so a new one without the acid filled yet sits next to it. Carbs are clean, tank is empty. Yes, I have an emergency escape vehicle. To give you an idea, I can transport something the size of 8 full cases of beer, no sweat. It's a tiny bike. Cargo straps and net (I recommend "Rok Straps.") One time, I took off my belt to tie more junk to the bike. It was like a scene from the 3rd world and it only took us a week and a half to get there.

"When all else fails..." Amateur Radio Relay League is something I think CPF would also be interested in. When I think back on it, typing this brings a tear to my eye. We saw the best and worst of human nature. You don't need a "scary license" to help, besides they removed the Morse code requirements mostly. I helped most by knowing some loggers and sawmill folks. It was the critical need to restore power. I directly and personally saved someone's life in the aftermath of Katrina, and I did it for free.

The worst part was the beer was warm, really killed the ice quickly in my insulated backpack. Just between us, I actually enjoyed it. :) The chainsaw crews appreciated it too. Deck of cards and a candle. :candle:

I felt like a hero, and this is coming from a former hazmat response guy. :)

Last edited:

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well guys, what do you think? In the next emergency, there is someone like me. Care to join us?

Last edited:

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
The worst part was the beer was warm, really killed the ice quickly in my insulated backpack.

This is heartbreaking. I held strong until the end and then just broke down in tears at this point.

Kidding aside, sounded like quiet the adventure, so much loss it's almost incomprehensible. If I am ever in a financial position to do Search & Rescue or anything related to Disaster Relief that would be a real honor to be apart of. I bet it would be unbelievably humbling.

Last edited:

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Week and a half without power after Katrina...

Incredible story, more_vampires, with incredible stuff; thank you for sharing.

I am truly intrigued by disaster response and such - I feel like that really matters, as opposed to the first world problems I 'deal' with every day working with the general public. I am truly grateful for such a peaceful, safe, convenient and luxurious life, I just get tired of Joe Shmoe taking it for granted. I do feel that I would genuinely enjoy doing the kind of work you describe.

Hats off to you, sir, for your fine work! Thanks again for sharing with us, that is awesome.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is heartbreaking. I held strong until the end and then just broke down in tears at this point.

Yeah. Hurricane Katrina made our beer warm. :( Ice from an hour and a half away to the rescue! It was like the old Roman days where they'd send a runner to go get snow from a mountain, then squirt berry juice on it.

If I am ever in a financial position to do Search & Rescue or anything related to Disaster Relief that would be a real honor to be apart of. I bet it would be unbelievably humbling.

I felt a change in mindset, a cognitive shift. Day to day, I'm pretty tame. When the balloon went up, I would have run into harm's way to protect someone I didn't know for $0. As far as the money, I probably spent less than $200 helping after Katrina as I already had stuff on hand and paid for. We got our chainsaws and generators back, eventually. The big deal was knowing this guy or that guy, knowing who to ask. Yes, I can get your message out to your aunt in Kentucky. I know the local hams. With basic prepping already out of the way, you can help others very easily. I have shelf stable dry goods and water treatment. I was not suffering or in need. Need a sealed #10 can of nitrogen purged rice? It's not that expensive, and I am glad to do it. Check out Augason Farms or Honeyville. You don't have to buy a lot at once, perhaps just a case of #10 cans once in a while. If the emergency doesn't happen, you can just eat the stuff. Some of it will keep for 25+ years under proper storage conditions.

We must already be prepared ourselves to help others. It's a mind set, a daily routine. If you decide to drop money and do it all at once, it will be quite expensive if you don't have any prepping experience. You'll get the wrong stuff or something you don't need.

:thumbsup:

I am truly intrigued by disaster response and such - I feel like that really matters, as opposed to the first world problems I 'deal' with every day working with the general public.

ARRL volunteers really don't have a strict hierarchy. It isn't like the military or whatever. I took orders from nobody as an ARRL volunteer. A piece of paper doesn't transform you into Mr Search and Rescue. You must make your own decisions and it hinges upon what you know, who you know, and what you decide to try to do.

There isn't really even an instruction manual for this.

ARRL: We are a herd of cats.

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am truly intrigued by disaster response and such - I feel like that really matters, as opposed to the first world problems I 'deal' with every day working with the general public. I am truly grateful for such a peaceful, safe, convenient and luxurious life, I just get tired of Joe Shmoe taking it for granted. I do feel that I would genuinely enjoy doing the kind of work you describe.

Hats off to you, sir, for your fine work! Thanks again for sharing with us, that is awesome.

Well said, +1 from me.... great work More_Vampires :)

No D cells, no AA cells, everyone begged for them.

Katrina was a long, long time ago. Now that you've become a flashlight expert, I assume your future services will become that much more important and useful. Hope some of those battery MacGyvering tips and tricks we've shared will come in handy for you and those that you assist :).

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Katrina was a long, long time ago. Now that you've become a flashlight expert, I assume your future services will become that much more important and useful. Hope some of those battery MacGyvering tips and tricks we've shared will come in handy for you and those that you assist :).

Yeah, my flashlight EDC at the time was an AAAx3 5mm showerhead light. :) Looking back, knowing what I know now, I could have helped even more.

For anyone who doesn't know what Reppans is talking about, a CPF search is in order... battery hacks! I absolutely love that stuff! I can't read enough of it.

BRB: Time for a new thread about this! :)

Last edited: