Power Outage, How many Lumens, How many batteries? (for lights and more)

Poppy

Flashaholic
Lynx_Arc

This thread has been running for nearly three years now, and in the first 100 posts or so, we had pretty well covered batteries and light for lighting purposes.

At that time I asked one of the mods if it was acceptable to open it up a bit more, and change the title to ... "lights and more"
He said yes, that would be fine.

It was at that time that I added this edit to the OP.

As I write this, the thread is at post 95.
Overall, I'd say we did a nice job presenting what many people would be comfortable with. For the most part, we stayed away from particular lights, and spoke in generalities. That was my hope... I didn't want it to be another SHTF zombie thread. I wanted/hoped it would be instructional.

Well, we have gone beyond batteries for lights, to include, batteries for other power failure needs, although we only touched on them lightly, but things such as battery operated cooling fans, sump pump back-ups, and as a means to power one's furnace in the winter. We touched on using the car's alternator, or a small generator to charge a 12v deep cell battery/s.

Please enjoy reading through this thread, and make your contribution, if any at the end.
Thanks for reading this far! :)
-----------------------------------------------------------------
So now that we are beyond post number 1,000. We have started to cover prepping in some other areas.
I think that is the natural evolution of a thread such as this and it has been done it a respectful, professional, and orderly manner.

I hope that you continue to contribute.
Thanks
Poppy

What does filling a bathtub full of water have to do with batteries and lumens and lights?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Lynx_Arc

This thread has been running for nearly three years now, and in the first 100 posts or so, we had pretty well covered batteries and light for lighting purposes.

At that time I asked one of the mods if it was acceptable to open it up a bit more, and change the title to ... "lights and more"
He said yes, that would be fine.

It was at that time that I added this edit to the OP.

As I write this, the thread is at post 95.
Overall, I'd say we did a nice job presenting what many people would be comfortable with. For the most part, we stayed away from particular lights, and spoke in generalities. That was my hope... I didn't want it to be another SHTF zombie thread. I wanted/hoped it would be instructional.

Well, we have gone beyond batteries for lights, to include, batteries for other power failure needs, although we only touched on them lightly, but things such as battery operated cooling fans, sump pump back-ups, and as a means to power one's furnace in the winter. We touched on using the car's alternator, or a small generator to charge a 12v deep cell battery/s.

Please enjoy reading through this thread, and make your contribution, if any at the end.
Thanks for reading this far! :)
-----------------------------------------------------------------
So now that we are beyond post number 1,000. We have started to cover prepping in some other areas.
I think that is the natural evolution of a thread such as this and it has been done it a respectful, professional, and orderly manner.

I hope that you continue to contribute.
Thanks
Poppy
I see no need in continuing to read this thread as I have no interest in uber long term water disaster preparation as I live in an area that our only concern is tornadoes and our whole city could be flattened by one and within a day there would be tons of water being rolled in to the city from the endless lakes and reservoirs nearby.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I see no need in continuing to read this thread as I have no interest in uber long term water disaster preparation as I live in an area that our only concern is tornadoes and our whole city could be flattened by one and within a day there would be tons of water being rolled in to the city from the endless lakes and reservoirs nearby.
Ok. Stop in now and then, perhaps at some point we'll be discussing using lights in SAR operations after a tornado. Or something else that will strike up your interest.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good Thread!
As a tangent, I stored some of my possessions in the unheated, uninsulated attic space of a relative's garage.
I went up there recently and found a previously opened, expired jar of Jiffy peanut butter.... it had been freezing and simmering in that garage for two years mind you.
It seemed fine, I scraped off the top 1/8" for luck and ate it, first just a little, and then the next day I finished it. -I told a relative too in case I died, but I put faith in my taste buds and there were no problems.
Perfectly fine.
If it had tasted off I would have quit, maybe even made myself throw up, but all was well.
I really can't imagine putting a survival ration through a worse test.
Preservatives, whatever. Everytime I worry a bit about the future I pick up another jar of peanut butter.

Last edited:

braddy

Enlightened
Today I was thinking of how just a big bowl of cooked rice with a cup of hot water and a tablespoon or two of peanut butter is a pretty good survival meal in an emergency.

Last edited:

Wilburforce

Newly Enlightened
Actually cooked rice is a surprisingly dangerous food to let lie around...
Bacillus cereus can lurk in there. As well as C. botulinum... You definitely need to reheat it past 140F thoroughly... so it's far better to just cook fresh for the next meal.

Gryffin

Enlightened
Good Thread!
As a tangent, I stored some of my possessions in the unheated, uninsulated attic space of a relative's garage.
I went up there recently and found a previously opened, expired jar of Jiffy peanut butter.... it had been freezing and simmering in that garage for two years mind you.
It seemed fine, I scraped off the top 1/8" for luck and ate it, first just a little, and then the next day I finished it. -I told a relative too in case I died, but I put faith in my taste buds and there were no problems.
Perfectly fine.
If it had tasted off I would have quit, maybe even made myself throw up, but all was well.
I really can't imagine putting a survival ration through a worse test.
Preservatives, whatever. Everytime I worry a bit about the future I pick up another jar of peanut butter.

You're braver man than I! :eek: :sick2: :sick: :toilet: :barf:

Seriously, though, peanut butter has a lot going for it: it's dense, keeps well, and packed with calories, proteins and electrolytes. I wouldn't want it to be my *only* survival ration, but you could certainly do worse.

Gryffin

Enlightened
Bacillus cereus can lurk in there. As well as C. botulinum... You definitely need to reheat it past 140F thoroughly... so it's far better to just cook fresh for the next meal.

Didn't know about the risk, although I guess any warm starchy stuff would be an ideal breeding ground. Fresh is definitely the way to go. All it takes is boiling water; heck, half the world relies on it as a staple.

Sphinxxx

Newly Enlightened
I have thought about this just briefly and accidentally. My backpacking kit is set up for long periods without power. I have 6 watt and 2 watt Voltaic solar panels (highly recommend) with micro USB tips that can directly charge my MH20 and MecArmy SGN3 or can work with my Klarus 1 bay charger/power bank for my headlamp battery and backup power. Those little panels can also keep up with my little bluetooth speaker and MP3 player. That should have me covered for an extended period of time. The MH20 is a good light for bouncing off the ceiling to light a whole room, even on medium. Plus i find that 1 lumen headlamp is plenty for most tasks in a completely dark house. And that will last for weeks. If it were weeks on end i would definitely be sleeping more when its dark.
So i only have three 18650s, two of them in lights and one in the Klarus, plus the MecArmy light as a backup. And solar to keep them charged. I can count on some decent sun here in high desert Nevada, even in the winter.

bluemax_1

Enlightened

Yes, and because it's moist, stuff grows on it very quickly.

Max

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast

Good to know.

I remember now, hearing that during the Vietnam War, rice that was brought in to feed people who's lives were disrupted by the war was cooked before being handed out. The rationale being that dry rice would find its way to the opposition, while cooked rice had to be eaten before it spoiled.

braddy

Enlightened
Carrying rice balls was a common field staple for the Vietnamese.

Sometimes our own deep penetration teams would carry rice balls as field rations.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have thought about this just briefly and accidentally. My backpacking kit is set up for long periods without power. I have 6 watt and 2 watt Voltaic solar panels (highly recommend) with micro USB tips that can directly charge my MH20 and MecArmy SGN3 or can work with my Klarus 1 bay charger/power bank for my headlamp battery and backup power..

Yup, backpacking gear is a great cross-over for power outage and EDC preparedness. I've been chasing UL backpacking gear lately (due to a knee injury) and have started EDCing some of it. My ~10lb/L messenger bag just needs a ~1lb sleeping bag, and ~1lb freeze-dried, to be a reasonably comfortable 3-season, 72-hr bag (incl. tent, stove, rain gear, ground pad).

That Klarus CH1 is part of it too, even powerbanks NiMhs from my radio to my phone. I don't EDC or backpack solar though - either too big/heavy, or too slow/stationary - rather just pack, cannibalize, or scavenge batts. No 18650 lights either since I want to run any type alkaline in a pinch... however, I do run my "AA" light on a 16650 ;).

Gryffin

Enlightened
Oh sure... a 16650 tube running AA batteries, THAT doesn't beg an explanation :rolleyes:

Have I been under a rock? I *never* heard of that size until very recently. Never seen one in the wild, either. Not sure why it exists; traditionally the single-cell alternative to 2x16340 was a 17670. Are 2xCR123 lights running THAT tight now?

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have I been under a rock? I *never* heard of that size until very recently. Never seen one in the wild, either. Not sure why it exists; traditionally the single-cell alternative to 2x16340 was a 17670. Are 2xCR123 lights running THAT tight now?
The highest capacity 17670 is still quite a bit lower than the highest 16650. I've only been into Li-Ion lights for about 5 years, but that's been the case since I first looked into the best option for a Foursevens QP2L-X.

Gryffin

Enlightened
The highest capacity 17670 is still quite a bit lower than the highest 16650. I've only been into Li-Ion lights for about 5 years, but that's been the case since I first looked into the best option for a Foursevens QP2L-X.

That's right, I forgot those 47's were notoriously tight. Which is why I never got one.

Higher capacity from a smaller cell… that tells me, manufacturers are neglecting 17670s. Pity, I have several 2xCR123A lights that run nicely on 17670.