Practical reasons for owning a laser?

Glasstream15

Newly Enlightened
My cats tired of the laser in about 30 seconds. That's how long it took them to realize that there was nothing on that wall. And you want to be sure you don't shine in their eyes.

I do have a CAT laser on my Kel-Tec PF9 and a Streamlight TLR2 Light/Laser on my Glock 19. Quick target aquisition and some intimidation from that infamous red dot.

:oops:

stangliter04

Newly Enlightened
I have one mounted on the rail of my AR-15 but thats just for show. I also use a green laser on mt telescope.

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally, just pointing at stuff. Pity we've had a spate of jerks shining them at aircraft cockpits recently. Our legislation now lists under "prohibited weapons":

(8) A laser pointer, or any other similar article, that consists of a hand-held battery-operated device with a power output of more than 1 milliwatt, designed or adapted to emit a laser beam and that may be used for the purposes of aiming, targeting or pointing.

ONE milliwatt?!?:sigh:

That said, it's pretty fun using the class IV at work.:grin2:

MaxIcon

Newly Enlightened
Another vote for cat utility.

We usually use a red laser to play with them, so there's less risk to them if the get an eyefull, but I used my 50mw green laser the other night when one of the cats got a price sticker on his fur and freaked out, not letting anyone near him in the back yard. I used the green laser to keep him distracted while my wife approached him from behind and calmed him down.

A small victory, to be sure, but important to a serious gadget fiend. She was using my P2D EDC flashlight to find him, for bonus points. "See, honey, this stuff is very useful sometimes!" :twothumbs

luvlasers

Enlightened
One of my favorites is Avian Dispersal, another way of saying scaring birds.

Apparently this is big business now with many councils paying pest controllers good money to scare birds. What a way to combine business with pleasure :thumbsup:

Rattlebars

Newly Enlightened
One use:

I'm looking into ways to upgrade this to green, but I think the housing is way too small. Laserlyte SCv2 is between the NiteCore EX-10 and the XD-9 Sub-compact rail.

side-las-lite-turnedon.jpg

Last edited:

SemiMan

Banned
Use a mid-power 30mW waterproof green for snorkeling. It is very hard to point to specific things when you are snorkeling/diving with just just a hand/finger. The laser will penetrate deep enough to point out specific objects.

Semiman

Illum

Flashaholic
I hear the green ones are popular in astronomy type stuff as it's easy to "point" with the easily visible beam to help people find a constellation/ messier object.

+1, and don't forget the NCG objects!

Astronomy:

1. Before the greenies conventional red lasers can't project a beam to point at stars, some astronomers actually made masks for non-astronomers to wear that references a specific constellation, cluster, nubula, star, etc to something bright enough to include in the scope field. After the greenies came about explaining what and what becomes very easy.
  2. Alignments to stars have become easier now that lasers can be fixed to scopes and pointed to the stars. For those who do not have "go-to" devices, its probably the easiest way to point your scope toward something of interest.
Geography:

1. lasers are still best to point out certain things, especially if your on a hill and pointing out geographic regions down hill. I've seen someone use a greenie in the grand canyon pointing out trails on the cliff side
Science:

1. First time I've seen a greenie used in a classroom was the professor demonstrating the internal reflection properties of water by sending the beam through a tube fixed to the bottom of the water tank and allows the water to flow out through the tube and bending the laser beam inside it.
  2. Modulated Visible Diode Lasers can transmit voice or video over air
  3. Collimated lasers allow precise manufacturing of optics by visualizing how light bend instead of applying theoretical physics at demonstrations
  4. Spectroscopy: like LEDs, lasers emit near-monochromatic light and depending on how they are produced the wavelength of the laser can be confined to a range useful depending on the applications needs.
Animal control:

1. Although I do not agree with the practice, they do disperse birds but attracts cats and dogs. Birds can be more humanly dispersed by drilling holes on sides of CDs and hanging them around the perimeter of the place, there is a thing called cat nip for cats and ropes for dogs.
Machining:

1. Class IV cutting lasers [CO2, He-Ne, etc] may be used to cut, engrave, or otherwise modify materials in machining. Stuff such as http://www.dynamiclaser.com/ tells alot about this sort of thing.

Since what the individual as a buyer's profession may be, its hard to pinpoint what that individual may use the laser for. but above are some of the many practical applications for a portable laser:)

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Try holding your laser on top of binocs. as you view something in the distance. With a bit of repositioning you can fairly accurately zap a target you can barely see with your eye. Not of any real use, but adds to the fun.

Geoff

eddienyr

Newly Enlightened
rattlebars

Have you found a green laser to swap into your rig yet? I have an XD45 that I want to do the same thing

HamboneOR

Newly Enlightened
I use one for night map & compass. A laser works really well to keep you (& your team) on your bearing. And, yeah, for emergency signalling at night.

moefuzz

Newly Enlightened
Lasers are just another fascinating learning tool to keep my inquisitive side busy.

A thirst for knowledge and of course then the fun factor of adding lenses/prisms/mirrors/motors/gratings/audio...

I'm by no means a electronics minded person but science/light is my current fascination, -I guesss I need to know why things work and then how I can make use of them in an attempt to fill up and occupy my unused braincells.

What I really want to do is build a laser light show for my hotrod garage.. I am currently working on a ruebens tube to accent the stereo in the garage. A laser light show would be a natural next step, then maybe a tesla coil and a UV strobe (just bought 1000 UV leds).
All are just hobbies as well as learning tools (including building hotrods and restoring classic cars)..

:)

HexCore

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I think I have the best reason to own and use a laser.
I'm colorblind and also a climber.
When you climb indoor, you have to stick to one color per route. With my laser, people who belay me can show me the holds I have to use.

And it works great :twothumbs

Me+Light=Addiction

Enlightened
Alot of people ask why people would buy lasers whurt $200+.
I can totally understand that.
I just play around with it, burn stuff, looking how far it can get, etc. etc. No real practical use.
But it is my number 1 holiday "toy"
Every year we go "camping" (crappy caravan) and go from camping to camping and I just anoy people :p Shine at there back and when they look stop shining, real childish I know but real fun :p
I entertaint multiple small kids on campings aswell, they are fascinated by them and they try smash the dot, so I let them RUN!!!! Hehe:devil:
Real fun, but hey, I don't need 5 pairs of $100 boots so with a $200 laser I make profit!!! ...kinda... if you get my point.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
holography is really cool. all you need is a laser, holographic plates, stuff to hold these things in place, and chemicals to develop it after exposure. maybe some black spraypaint to make it easier to see the hologram. Very cool project. I used the glass plates but you can also get the film version.

Also, I don't know if you guys know this, but green lasers are good for confusing zombies. Zombies are naturally attracted to noise, light, and brains. if you shine a strong laser at a zombie, first thing they will do is come straight for you. but they will have a dot in their vision that they will think is light and they will just keep moving towards the "light." This gives you time to get out of the way.

Glasstream15

Newly Enlightened
Also, I don't know if you guys know this, but green lasers are good for confusing zombies. Zombies are naturally attracted to noise, light, and brains. if you shine a strong laser at a zombie, first thing they will do is come straight for you. but they will have a dot in their vision that they will think is light and they will just keep moving towards the "light." This gives you time to get out of the way.

No, this gives you time to put about 5 shots from the Glock the laser is attached to in the head of the zombie and then line up on the next one.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not lucky enough to own any "power tools" like that..... yet.....

I definitely need to get one soon, though. I haven't seen many zombies lately, but something tells me the day is near.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
got myself a 30mw green laser off DX and love it to bits, am very careful with it as i dont think its shielded and i dont want to hurt myself or anyone else.

For playing with cats, think red is better, my dog doesnt react to green but does to the red laser i got.

Uses:

1. pointing out the spot where a fish jumped (at night) so we can cast there (or as near as possible).

2. pointing out faults in renovation works near the ceiling (used in conjunction with bright LED lights)

3. signalling friends across a big and crowded fishing pond so they know where we are (or we can use the strobe on my Jet III Pro ST)

4. its just fun to own

axd

Newly Enlightened
Every year we go "camping" (crappy caravan) and go from camping to camping and I just anoy people :p Shine at there back and when they look stop shining, real childish I know but real fun :p

Problem is that this will help ban lasers from private possession. Because some people see such "funny stuff" and also want it, buy lasers without documenting themselves on the things, and then they get involved in this.

And you can never be sure yo might not hit someone by accident. I assume your 200$ laser is powerful enough to damage eyes.

I handle a laser like it's a weapon: it is not to be aimed - even remotely - at people, even with the safety lock on it.