• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Pre-Order JM-PhD-X1, PWM Lantern Regulator

BVH

Flashaholic
Just some misc Q4559x data:

2 ea., GensAce 6S/5300 mah, 30C continuous-60C burst, no-protection Lipos. I charge them to 4.15V per cell, not 4.2V. VLOW set to 43V with 10 second dimming before trip-off. Level 1 set to 29.8V. All of this nets me 18.5 minutes runtime in regulation. Per cell Voltage after resting 30 minutes is 3.67. So I'm treating the packs nicely. I'd guess maybe 2 more minutes runtime if charged to 4.2V and discharged to 3.0V per cell. I experimented with VLOW at 44V and it provided 4.5 minutes less run time.

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
YouTube video is cool. Hearing that thing whine at 245Hz. I never had a single filament big enough to load the regulator. I was testing with 3 64623s in parallel for a solid 30A RMS at 15V.

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
So guys... Any other feedback. Starlight seems happy enough. BVH is working through some programming issues, but it seems to be going well.
I'm really looking for some feedback and critique. To let me know what I did well, and what I didn't.
Plus, let anyone with a big light know these are here. I gotta unload these before I build another run of D1s.

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW. Things are slow around here. I'm glad I didn't buy parts for a hundred of there.
In any case.
I've started a new thread to discuss Mag D sockets HERE

X_Marine

Enlightened
So can I assume these are still available?..
Looks like a really nice controller.

Thanks
X/BillyD..
icon14.gif

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello again.

Just checking in. Do I owe anything to anyone? Odd question, but after vacation and travel, etc. I want to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Xuen7

Newly Enlightened
yea you almost forgot about me...
are there still any left over? i definately need 1, maybe 2...
PM me please.. thanks

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK. Things are pretty slow here right now. So let's see if a Sale will liven things up a bit.

All orders placed within the next 2 weeks will have reduced prices.

Qty 1 - $100 each
Qty 2 - $95 each
Qty 3 or more - $90 each

And I'll throw in some free custom programming. What the heck.

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jimmy, Do you have two more? Unfortunately I had a misshap that destroyed one of the regulators. Link

Holy Jeez! Damn. Sure I've several left. I'll PM you.

You might want to consider adding a thermistor mounted in your pack that can trip a "battery overtemp" alert. It's pretty easy to implement. One resistor and a thermistor monitored by the controller. There are a few scenarios that we could work out that would allow the controller to shut off that parasitic power drawn by the thermistor when the light is off. When the alarm is tripped the light can shut down the output and light an LED as an indicator. Pretty easy actually.

Let me know.

Last edited:

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, the Sale pricing is now over. I was hoping it would stir things up a bit.

BUT!!

Revision 2 of the firmware has been released with new features and a small improvement here and there.
*** WARNING ***
You MUST use a Rev 2 options file with this release. You CANNOT use your Rev 1 options file.

Rev 2a - All functionality found in Rev1 Plus...
- Low Voltage Latch mode that hold the low voltage waning mode even if the battery recovers. This can prevent a heavyily loaded pack from "fooling" the low voltage sensing and causing the light to appear to blink.
- Additional Over Temp warning (OT_TYPE = 2). Shuts down the bulb and uses the Auxilliary PWMB Output to drive the ground leg of an LED as a flashing Warning.
- Additional Low Voltage warning (LV_TYPE = 3). Shuts down the bulb and uses the Auxilliary PWMA Output to drive the ground leg of an LED as a steady Warning.
- Configurable duty cycle of PWM A & B Outputs when used as Overtemp or Low Voltage warnings.
- A Mode to allow the Aux PWM A output to control a relay that completely disconnects the regulator power supply. Wiring details can be found in my web site above.
- In Rev1, when the main output was shut down due to overtemp/low voltage the output was actually reduced to 1/4095th duty, not truly off, before it was completely shutdown ~4mS later and the regulator was put to sleep. This also occurred between the time you held in the button to shut it down and releasing the button. Now the output is reduced to zero output during these short time periods. Don't worry. When you shut down your regulator with Rev1 it is actually shut down. It just went into an almost 0 duty cycle for a short period beforehand.

Here are the new programming options that you should cut and paste into your order.

Bold items are default settings.
Please cut and paste this into your post and edit the voltages/options you desire for each setting.
Leaving a voltage as 0.0V will mean that level is not enabled.
Level-1: 0.0V
Level-2: 0.0V
Level-3: 0.0V
Level-4: 0.0V
Level-5: 0.0V
Memory Start: (Yes/No)
Soft Start: (SLOW/MED/FAST)
Vlow: 0.0V (The voltage where the low voltage warning should kick in.)
Vlow Warning Type: (Pulsing/Dimming/Shutdown Output & Flash PWMA Output)(PWM Duty % when on)
Vlow voltage based shutdown: Percent of Vlow (94%)(Enabled/Disabled)
Vlow timed shutdown: Seconds before shutdown (30 Seconds)(Enabled/Disabled)
Vlow Latch: (Enable/Disable)
Over Temp Warning Type: (Dimming/Shutdown Output & Flash PWMB Output)(PWM Duty % when on)
Relay Disconnect: (Enable/Disable)

Note: You cannot combine the Relay Disconnect option with the PWM A/B options for Low Voltage and Temperature warnings.

Last edited:

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well. I have 6 of these left. I'd like to unload them before moving on to the next D1 batch.

I'll lower the price to $80 each, all other shipping, etc conditions apply.
C'mon folks. You know you've been waiting for just such an opportunity to build that monster light.