Preon Revo SS or Arc-AAA for keychain light

scott

Enlightened
Do you really need a SS light? The finish on some of my aluminum AAA lights might be scratched, but they've always worked just fine. Most of the people on CPF who carry 1AAA lights on their keychains are carrying aluminum lights, and they're doing so without problems.

Bod

Newly Enlightened
Do you really need a SS light? The finish on some of my aluminum AAA lights might be scratched, but they've always worked just fine. Most of the people on CPF who carry 1AAA lights on their keychains are carrying aluminum lights, and they're doing so without problems.

The alu lights I've carried in my pocket have all got damaged around the lens which makes burs that, in turn, wore through my pockets. Since I've had an titanium A3 EOS there's been no problem with burs. Lovely light too, none of this strobe stuff, just 3 good levels of light and it works; can't ask for more except more output obviously!

tony22

Newly Enlightened
Woo-hoo! (I hope) I found a place online called LED Flashlightsource. They had the Preon SS listed (S2 variety though). I emailed and asked if it was actually in stock. There was one left, so I got it. I just hope it truns out to be a clean, good running unit.

LightBlue6

Newly Enlightened
I EDC a Preon Revo SS neutral white, a Peak (non-QTC) Eiger #6 neutral white, and an old-school Arc-AAA that I bought in 2002.

I love yet kinda hate the Prevo SS NW. Great design. Very nice emitter (I was lucky last Fall). Very nice build quality. But it doesn't feel bulletproof in the way that Peak and Arc's do. I've had to do basic maintenance on the bottom spring, I've had to replace the o-ring already (a very thin o-ring for such a pricey light, btw). Though I love it, I kinda hate it :naughty: because I don't think of it as my EDC that I'd rely on in an emergency scenario.

I think of the Peak in such a way. Though no LED light from any maker is 100% guaranteed to not have a problem, there are degrees of reliability (or more importantly, perception of such). I perceive Peak LED lights as having a stronger emphasis on reliability and toughness. The owner basically says as much in their company info. As does SureFire, Peak LED makes lights for people who view their lights as tools.

Why do I carry the Arc, still? Because it still works. Because I haven't done a thing to it other than cleaning the threads and using Nyogel, not even bothering to replace the foam spacer that fell out long ago. Still has the original o-ring! Do Arc's compete with the more state-of-the-art AAA lights? Not on specs, not on flashaholic tech standards. But does it still have its place in the market because of how reliable and useful it is? Yes.

For your stated criteria, I suggest a modern-day Arc-AAA for peace of mind and simple satisfaction. And/Or a Peak LED Eiger with QTC for similar peace of mind plus much more user satisfaction.

Don't worry about the QTC having a failure potential. If it ever became a problem, you can replace it. And if you're concerned about extreme bug-out reliability, the Peak will work like a normal on-off device if you simply remove a failed QTC pill.

Enjoy whatever you choose. Your keychain will become a bit more special to you. :)