Project-M by Milkyspit: Long-Running High Output LED: Availability, Info, Photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight Lights

Enlightened
Archangel, sounds like you did damage one of your unprotected Li-ion cells. They don't like to drop below about 2.5 volts. Even if it runs normally, you should probably replace it as a safety precaution. As of a week or two ago, 4sevens was selling the LG unprotected 2400mAh cells at a very reasonable price.

BTW, 4.5 hours with a damaged cell is pretty impressive! :)

Mike Painter, milky can build these into a Maglite of any length. Yes, the 2D does run in a stock body, but it could just as easily run in a modified body so long as the inside of the Mag head hasn't been changed in terms of its dimensions. With the larger (Mag 2D and 3D) builds, milky has been installing microcontrolled buck circuits that provide dimming capability, full power burst mode, automatic dimming and shutoff, etc. PM me if you're interested.

D MacAlpine

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys,

A couple of questions if you have a moment.

Is the price quoted for the KL2 just for the head on its own?
Is there any way of getting a 2 (or more) stage version of the KL2? (using a 2 stage switch perhaps?)
What is the outside diameter of the KL2?
How are the reflectors fixed in the head? (if that's not a trade secret)

Would the Digilight RX-9V head/T9 (or even T6?) body be a suitable host for an M180? (possible lower cost option???)

And

Can you really get 7 emitters in a KL2??? (runtime chart)

[I'm a bit shy of spending this much on a light, especially if I'm going to batter it around at work, but :drool: ]

Don

Last edited:

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M420 is in a Mag bezel. I'm pretty sure three is the limit for a KL2. I think that's the price for just the head. The rest someone else will have to answer.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Archangel said:
D MacAlpine said:
Hi Guys,

Is there any way of getting a 2 (or more) stage version of the KL2? (using a 2 stage switch perhaps?)

Would the Digilight RX-9V head/T9 (or even T6?) body be a suitable host for an M180? (possible lower cost option???)

And

[I'm a bit shy of spending this much on a light, especially if I'm going to batter it around at work, but :drool: ]

Don

The M420 is in a Mag bezel. I'm pretty sure three is the limit for a KL2. I think that's the price for just the head. The rest someone else will have to answer.

Thanks Archangel! :) Yes, the price mentioned for the M180-KL2 is for the head itself, though I can find you a matching body if needed. Yes, M420 (7 emitters) fits in a Maglite head... the KL2 head could fit 7 emitters but not with reflectors of any appreciable size... so it would end up as the world's brightest flood beam! ;) Using 16mm reflectors, the KL2 head can house 3 emitters and pumps out a nice, muscular beam.

Yes, the M180-KL2 head could support multiple brightness levels, though not with a dual stage tailswitch... the more sensible way would be to incorporate a microcontroller circuit that handles such things more efficiently and requires nothing special in terms of the tailswitch. There are a couple possibilities right now plus I'm working on an early version of a single board to handle this sort of thing. For now, I would suggest a single brightness M180-KL2... in real world use, 180 lumens as delivered via the KL2 head tends to be useful for a wide variety of applications. It's a real workhorse of a light, the kind you'll find yourself picking up often.

Very roughly, outer diameter of the KL2 at the bezel is about 41mm.

There's a lens in front of the reflectors so they're protected plus held in place much as they would be in any other light. The lens has antireflective coating, so some of the photos make it look as if there isn't any! :p

Never played with a Digilight RX-9V head, but you're welcome to send me one with the body of your choice and I'll see what I can do. PM if interested! :)

As a lower cost option that could still take a beating, might I suggest a Mag 2C body? An M180 in Mag 2C would give you 4-5 hours using rechargeable Li-ion cells... many other combinations are possible, too... and you could pickup a hard anodized Mag 2C here on CPF for extra durability. In fact, I've got one spare hard anodized black Mag 2C that's available to the first person who wants it built into an M180, M240, or something similar! First come, first served folks! :naughty:

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last (and Best) of the KL2 Heads?

Looks like I've tapped out my known sources of KL2 heads... snagged a final couple from an army-navy store in Seattle. If anyone wants an M180-KL2 from here on, they would need to supply it... and if you're fortunate enough to have more than one, I'll offer you a partial credit on your build in exchange for your extra(s)!
:thumbsup:

Getting back to this last pair of KL2 heads, received last week... I opened the sealed SureFire boxes to be greeted by a little surprise... these KL2 heads did not have the usual black plastic bezel rings, but rather the same HARD ANODIZED ALUMINUM crenelated bezel rings as the M3! These heads aren't supposed to exist... it's like finding a unicorn munching on grass in your back yard!

The first of these mysterious KL2 heads is destined for Leef... here's some quick eye candy...

The mythical crenelated bezel KL2... this wasn't supposed to exist! :p
img-m180-kl2-leef-standup.jpg

Window shopping... yes, there really IS a window there even though it's not apparent in the photo.
img-m180-kl2-leef-window.jpg

Profile of Leef's M180-KL2.
img-m180-kl2-leef-profile.jpg

Underside showing the typical pair of contact springs.
img-m180-kl2-leef-springs.jpg

Leef, hope ya like it! :eek:

Knight Lights

Enlightened
Updated post number 4 in this thread with photos of an M180-KL2 with hard anodized, crenelated bezel. This particular head was not known to exist before.

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice snag on the HA Mag. They're very well done. (I was going to post a pic, but seem to have misplaced my memory card.)

Last edited:

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
D MacAlpine said:
Hi Guys,

And

Don

Don, PM sent your way with some possibilities, in reply to your PM. Thanks. :)

Dizney

Newly Enlightened
Milkyspit,

I've been searching through my stash of lights and found (2) new KL2 heads!!!! I knew these would be useful someday.....altho it's taken a few years. I'll PM with more info.

Thanks!

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
FYI: I just updated the runtime chart in post number 2 (or thereabouts)... main difference is some new entries under the KL2 section. Since the graphic hosts from my site, the new one ought to be visible immediately, though you might need to refresh your browser page to see it.
:thumbsup:

Scary but true: an M180-KL2 mounted on an M6 body should generate on average 180 lumens continuous for 6+ hours, although admittedly it would be a slightly goofy looking combo! :ohgeez:

Dizney said:
Milkyspit,

I've been searching through my stash of lights and found (2) new KL2 heads!!!! I knew these would be useful someday.....altho it's taken a few years. I'll PM with more info.

Thanks!

Dizney, just replied to your PM. Thanks! :)

Knight Lights

Enlightened
Added Leef's M180-KL2 vs. SureFire L6 overall output and runtime charts to post number 2 of this thread. Example...

img-m180-kl2-leef-runtime-vs-lbu-w-l6-linear.jpg

Leef

Enlightened
:goodjob:

In a nutshell, great lights! I have enjoyed using my M180 and working with Milky. He has good ideas, knows electronics, and does good work. I hope he'll continue to cook up new lights for us CPFers!

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Updated the runtime chart in post number 2 of this thread to include AW's as-yet-unreleased C-sized protected Li-ion cells based on the tentative specs published by AW.

Incidentally, any owner of an M180 built in Mag 2C housing will be able to use the new AW C-sized cells (once available) simply by removing the 18650 sleeve that's currently in their lights. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.