Project-M by Milkyspit: Long-Running High Output LED: Availability, Info, Photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ralf said:
Milky, nice lights so :)

Did you use a self made LED-driver or a well known
driver?

Cheers
Ralf

Thanks Ralf! Much appreciated. :eek:

Drivers. Project-M is a family of lights and to reach peak efficiency, there are a few different drivers that might be used, some self-designed, others customizations I've requested of more well-known drivers. This is by necessity. There is no single driver that I'm aware of capable of the efficiency levels the project demands AND flexible enough to maintain that efficiency over the broad range of input and output voltages that the various hosts, battery types, and emitter configurations span!

Remember, it's not about some magic component or super emitter, it's about matching the right pieces in the right ways to make each light as a whole something special. Well-engineered (hopefully!) lights. It's not about the parts! :)

marxs

Enlightened
just curious, but how much output would the m180 put out if you ran 3 xbin luxeons at around 800-1000mah? just thinking here really...that would sound pretty nifty. not sure how much runtime would suffer.

Knight Lights

Enlightened
marxs,

It can be done, we can do it, but it's not a Project-M light.

That presents HUGE heat issues. Assuming you mean X bin LuxV's, output would be in the 600 Lumen range, but the light would get very hot very fast, decreasing the overall output.

People have built these, but they are at odds with the whole idea of the M project, which is high outputs with long run times.

Three LuxV's running at 800 would run less than an hour on 2 LiIon cells by my calculations and the light body would get HOT!

Bill

Leef

Enlightened
BTW, guys, there are some fine photos here by Msaxatilus. Art and technology, hard to beat! :grin2:

cd-card-biz

Enlightened
Just wondering here....

Which head would be considered the very best SF host for a Milky M180 - KL2 or stock M3?

Thanks,
Bill

Knight Lights

Enlightened
Bill,

For looks or simply because?

The KL2 is easier to build out and less expensive, (IF we can find them!)

I like the crenellated M3's though.

Other than that, they are essentially the same, thought the heat sink in the M3 is thicker.

Bill

blahblahblah

Enlightened
cd-card-biz said:
Just wondering here....

Which head would be considered the very best SF host for a Milky M180 - KL2 or stock M3?

Thanks,
Bill

I have a KL2 M180 and it goes on my M3P body. The M3P's bezel is nice to have stock so I can switch to it if I should so desire. I've used the light daily for the past 10 days or so. I'm using it in close range and my only complaint is that it's too bright for close range. :rolleyes:

blahblahblah

Enlightened
Knight Lights said:

For crenzellated bezels, I would prefer a REAL strike bezel. :whistle:

Maybe you can provide a pic of one while I'm on vacation next week or so???

cd-card-biz

Enlightened
Knight Lights said:
Bill,
For looks or simply because?

The KL2 is easier to build out and less expensive, (IF we can find them!)

Other than that, they are essentially the same, thought the heat sink in the M3 is thicker.
Bill

No, not for looks. Was thinking more along the lines of functionality. I just got a new M3 scalloped bezel as was considering an M180 treatment as finances permit. If the heat sink is bigger in the stock head, I'll probably stick with it.

Thanks for the info!

Bill

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did some run-time tests of my M180-Mag2C last week and didn't get around to posting them. I got a bit under/over - can't remember which - 4'30 on the 1800mAh 18650s that came installed. With the two sets of Tenergy 2200s i got 4'55. (smirk) Which sounds rather familiar. Doing the math, my 2400s probably lasted the expected 5'20. They make a good set for general use that you can charge whenever it's convenient, but they get dragged down too far when run to the end for that to be healthy in the long run.

cd-card-biz

Enlightened
Archangel said:
With the two sets of Tenergy 2200s i got 4'55. (smirk) Which sounds rather familiar.

That is exactly the runtime I got on my 2C with the same cells....to the minute!

The M180 is one of my favorite lights. I thought the 2C form factor might be a bit large, but not so. I actually like it a lot.

I was a little concerned about the pressure on the stock 2C tailcap with the 2x18650's. I was really having to crank the cap down to make contact. I picked up a Fivemega 2C "deep" tailcap, which is a work-of-art in itself. It adds a little to the length of the light (not much) and is a good, precise fit. Unfortunately, as I expected the HA doesn't match as the cap is more gray, but the two-tone look plus a better tailstand ability is fine with me.

Do you happen to know the maximum number of emitters that Milky can stuff into the 2C head? I want to go bigger with the 2C host if possible.

Thanks,
Bill

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is exactly the runtime I got on my 2C with the same cells....to the minute! Do you happen to know the maximum number of emitters that Milky can stuff into the 2C head?
>>>
(grin) I know. I was going to quote the post but couldn't remember which thread it was in. As far as i know he can fit the same number in C as in D. If i'm remembering correctly, he's done six and thinks he could fit a seventh in the center. I think the HA-III is why we really have to crank down on the tailcap. I agree that it's a shame the C tailcap is a bit wobbly for tailstanding. Wonder why Mag didn't make it flat like the D.

cd-card-biz

Enlightened
Ah, that's why the <smirk> in your original post. I'm not too quick today.

I have a hunch there will be plenty of time for me to plan and save money for my next Milky "M" creation, since he's probably swamped with the MC2 project right now.

I also have a new M3 that's going to get the mod at some point.

Bill

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
cd-card-biz said:
Ah, that's why the <smirk> in your original post. I'm not too quick today.

I have a hunch there will be plenty of time for me to plan and save money for my next Milky "M" creation, since he's probably swamped with the MC2 project right now.

I also have a new M3 that's going to get the mod at some point.

Bill

Oh no my friend! :p I'm still building Project-M lights whenever folks want them, and if all parts are on hand, I can usually get your build out within a day or two, sometimes less. :naughty: The M180 in Mag 2C is particularly buildable on demand, and I'd have to agree on the form factor... I like it, too! :eek: The KL2 and M3 versions are doable as well. BTW, I'm starting to run through the last of my stash of SWOH emitters and have very nearly exhausted the SXOH... so if you've a preference for one of these (which both have been really stellar performers, at least in this batch), might want to get an order in soon! :eek:oo:

And yes, the MC2 build is moving along nicely. By the time my family vacation is finished in the next few days, final assembly will move forward in earnest. Boards are already waiting for me, or so I'm told... and while on vacation I've actually scored some more of the surprisingly hard-to-get PVC housings! No joke! They're kinda hard to source!!

:ohgeez:

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
bwaites said:
blah,

Here is the scalloped, which is shallow:

http://www.surefire.com/surefire/content/m3_large2.jpg

Here is the crenellated on top, which looks impressive:

http://www.surefire.com/surefire/content/m3_combo_large.jpg

Bill

Here are some inline photos so folks don't need to clickthrough to the linked images...

"Here is the scalloped, which is shallow..."
m3_large2.jpg

"Here is the crenellated on top, which looks impressive..."
(Photo also shows a flat bezel)
m3_combo_large.jpg

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lots to report today! :naughty:

First, guess it's no secret anymore, but I've begun construction of the first M420-M6, for MSaxatilus. This build uses seven emitters, each with its own McR-18 reflector, all sitting on a prodigious amount of heatsinking (not that it's needed, rather that there's lots of available space in that cavernous KT4 head!)... at least a full inch thick of SOLID aluminum! Surpisingly, it doesn't seem to add any meaningful amount to the overall weight of the light.
:thumbsup:

A couple quick photos...

img-m420-kt4-msax-preview.jpg

Looking Into The Bezel
img-m420-kt4-msax-bezel.jpg

Next, Leef has gone through a number of runtime tests with his M180-KL2 and was kind enough to share his graphs. He also compares performance with his plum (as in very good, best one he's owned) L6.
:bow:

Linear Scale. IMHO Easier to Read This One.
img-m180-kl2-leef-runtime-vs-lbu-complete-w-l6-linear.jpg

Log Scale. Lots of Lines, A Little Busy (not Leef's fault! nature of this sort of graph) But More Attuned to What The Human Eye Might See.
img-m180-kl2-leef-runtime-vs-lbu-complete-w-l6-log.jpg

Lots more going on, but hopefully this will suffice for now! :)

Knight Lights

Enlightened
Updated post number 2 with Leef's latest runtime graphs for the M180-KL2, which show various battery types on the same graph and the performance of an exceptionally good Surefire L6 flashlight for comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.