Propane Lanterns

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
The new valves have overfill protection to leave enough space inside the cylinder (for the bigger tanks)as you've stated.

The little disposable ones don't have that, so either someone overfilled it and/or it was a defective cylinder. I just don't want to jeopardize anyone's safety (especially mine if I'm the one up close filling it!)...who knows, maybe it will "never" happen again???

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
All this talk of explosions is making me think I should switch to white gas. I don't really use lanterns, but I bought a Coleman dual fuel stove, and I'm gonna see how it goes.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Probably not a big deal if you merely use the disposable cylinders (then throw them away), or use a 5 lb refillable cylinder with an adapter/hose assembly, or distribution tree. Someone made manufacturers put those warnings on there for a reason (and in this case I don't think if was specifically for making a dollar).

Albany Tom

Enlightened
smile.gif
switching from propane to white gas for safety is like cutting down on drinking by going from whiskey to vodka. Seriously, propane is fine as long as you treat it right, as is white gas. They're both highly volatile hydrocarbon fuels with low flash points - i.e. dangerous. Just the vapor pressures are different and one's a liquid at room temperature.

With white gas, you have to watch spilling, especially getting it on you or your clothing, as well as the flare ups, which means you have to be very carefull about flamable things close to them (like hair and some clothing) With propane, you have to watch the stuff collecting in low areas, as it's heavier than air, but you don't have flare ups (usually!), and it won't get on clothing.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Originally posted by fracman:
I'd love to have something VASTLY brighter and I have a pole that keeps it about 3 feet above the propane. Any ideas??? Thanks
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well, it's not propane, but have you ever checked out a PetroMax? Roughly 4 times as bright as a Coleman dual mantle and will burn any liquid fuel you can pour into it (even mixed!). Standard (and supposedly, brightest) fuel is kerosene, but diesel, gasoline, and Coleman fuel all seem to burn equally well.

Go to http://www.britelyt.com for more info.

PeterM

Newly Enlightened
I second the suggestion about the Petromax. I've gotten rid of all my propane lanterns and have three of them now. Two mfg. with the Britelyt name and one labeled for Wenzel. (I think the "Petromax" name is open game nowadays.) They are identical in every respect except the Wenzel is 20-30 $$ cheaper and comes with a wooden box. Britelyt gives you a tear down/rebuild video in case you ever drop it off a cliff. You can find them all over e-bay. Field strippable and Bombproof, Nickel plated brass. They come with spare parts and tools, mantles, etc. WAY, WAY Brighter than any Coleman or any other propane lantern I've ever seen. They'll even burn salad oil!! I use K-3 kerosene though, sometimes mixed with Citronella oil.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Lux Luthor:
Do they make a stove?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes, they do. They also offer an EZ cook adaptor that fits on their 400 Watt (equiv. output) lantern.

Petromax is the Mercedes Benz of liquid lanterns.
icon14.gif