protective coverings for flashlights?

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Inspired by this thread, I found some film canisters and trimmed off some height to fit my E2DL. Works as diffuser and lens cap although not the prettiest solution. :eek:
It's also good for dumping my light into the bag. Not so much protecting the bezel, but protecting my bag's contents from the crenelated bezel. :crackup:

p1000322h.jpg

p1000318z.jpg

p1000321.jpg

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened
hi Zeruel,

your idea is very good, it doesn't cost too much. but how come in the 1st picture there's 2 film canisters of different height? are they 2 different types of film? :thinking:

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
yea, I saw that... checked to make sure your weren't posting that link before I went to find it..

darn you and your expensive lights :p

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi Zeruel,

your idea is very good, it doesn't cost too much. but how come in the 1st picture there's 2 film canisters of different height? are they 2 different types of film? :thinking:

Oh, that's to show the trimmed off height. The one on the right is the original canister height.

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened
Oh, that's to show the trimmed off height. The one on the right is the original canister height.

oic, but if the height was reduced, does the cap still fit nice & securely?:shrug:

*i should drop by my neighbourhood film developing shop to ask for some, film canisters are getting rare in this digital era... :sigh:

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
oic, but if the height was reduced, does the cap still fit nice & securely?:shrug:

*i should drop by my neighbourhood film developing shop to ask for some, film canisters are getting rare in this digital era... :sigh:

Yes it does. I only trimmed off the inner diameter and left the lip alone. Had to be careful to cut it slightly smaller than the diameter of the head, so that it's firmly in place after inserted in.

Good luck in getting film canisters these days. I had to beg, borrow and steal. :duh2: You best bet is to get them from Lomo enthusiasts.

ghostguy6

Enlightened
Mag makes an anti-roll/filter kit that uses an hexagonal (hence anti-roll) rubber sleeve to hold the filters; I've seen that recommended for use (without a filter) to protect Mags.

EDIT: Oh, it's hexagonal, not octagonal. You can see some here.

The 2 AA version will also fit onto a Surefire E series bezel as well.:twothumbs

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened
Yes it does. I only trimmed off the inner diameter and left the lip alone. Had to be careful to cut it slightly smaller than the diameter of the head, so that it's firmly in place after inserted in.

Good luck in getting film canisters these days. I had to beg, borrow and steal. :duh2: You best bet is to get them from Lomo enthusiasts.

i should meet u up next time to view it. i am still clueless how its done... :confused:

i have a few empty canisters, but i am keeping them like they're so precious. ;)

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened
does anyone here use air-conditioning foam tubings for their lights? :thinking: they come in a variety of sizes too... :grin2:

can't really take an impact but should offer protection from minor drops.:candle:

Jedi Knife

Enlightened
Inspired by this thread, I found some film canisters and trimmed off some height to fit my E2DL. Works as diffuser and lens cap although not the prettiest solution. :eek:
It's also good for dumping my light into the bag. Not so much protecting the bezel, but protecting my bag's contents from the crenelated bezel. :crackup:

p1000322h.jpg

p1000318z.jpg

p1000321.jpg

OMG would you really carry something like this? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.
Really, stainless rings at the bezel and tailcaps could prevent most of the deformation due to impact damage, and getting away from the "hard anodizing" fad would go a long ways to de-emphasizing the scratches that are so prevalent on these types of lights. Even the silver colored Mag Solitaires handle wear better than the Nitecore, Fenix and Surefire models, which surprisingly have to be pampered to keep from scratching.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
OMG would you really carry something like this? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.
Really, stainless rings at the bezel and tailcaps could prevent most of the deformation due to impact damage, and getting away from the "hard anodizing" fad would go a long ways to de-emphasizing the scratches that are so prevalent on these types of lights. Even the silver colored Mag Solitaires handle wear better than the Nitecore, Fenix and Surefire models, which surprisingly have to be pampered to keep from scratching.

Do read my post before comment. It was meant to protect my bag's content. And being ridiculous looking as a lamp, well, to each his own. :ironic: