do-it-yourself diffuser for NiteCore D10

sizzling7s

Newly Enlightened
So I decided to make a diffuser for my new D10 and I think it turned out great. All it took was a cap from a 16.9 fl oz Kirkland (Costco) water bottle. The interior of the cap hugs the D10 perfectly. Not too tight, not too loose. You just need to carefully cut it out. Here are some photos from the project. I've followed the CPF threads for years, but I haven't really posted. Hopefully this turns out OK.
-sizzling7s
IMG_4255.jpg

IMG_4257.jpg

IMG_4258.jpg

IMG_4261.jpg
IMG_4269.jpg

IMG_4266.jpg

Last edited:

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some matte scotch tape would also do the same diffusion,I use it on my NDI.more permanent,but totally reveresable.I think it lets a bit more light thru.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hooray, I have a whole case of those in the garage. Just got one, the cutting begins..

merlocka

Enlightened
Some matte scotch tape would also do the same diffusion,I use it on my NDI.more permanent,but totally reveresable.I think it lets a bit more light thru.

I just tried this for the first time. It's really a brilliant effect. Scotch 3M Magic tape, matte finish, FTW.

It might be nice to disassemble the light so I could cover the whole lense, or maybe I just need to trim it better.

Alternately, wasn't Flashlightlens.com selling a diffused coated glass lens in various sizes? I bet that would be nice in the D10.

sizzling7s

Newly Enlightened
Wade, I'm pretty sure it was one of your earlier posts that had me digging through my different bottle caps...LOL. I tried the tape route, but I don't like having the adhesive heated and potentially melted on/around the lens. On MAX, the D10 can get hot, and the head doesn't come apart easily to clean. In addition, the cap will take the brunt of the impact should I happen to drop it. I also like that I can take the cap off and on with ease. Because I'm OCD, I took a Dremel with a buffing accessory and polished off the rough edges. If it wasn't for the print in the plastic, you would think the diffuser was made for it.

I gotta go before my wife finds me in the flashlight forums, it's a sickness she doesn't understand.

sizzling7s

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Funny thing I was thinking of taking the Dremel to this cap. I might try and remove the lettering, etc. :) I think this will stay on my D10 for now, works good. :)

Watchguy

Newly Enlightened
Nice tip. Could probably run a red marker over that cap for a red diffuser.:thumbsup:

sizzling7s

Newly Enlightened
Max brightness without diffuser - 8ft from wall
IMG_4275.jpg

Max brightness with diffuser - 8ft from wall
IMG_4276.jpg

Aluminous

Enlightened
Nicely done, thanks for the idea and posting those great step-by-step photos. :thumbsup:

Other options that might work for people who don't have Kirkland water bottles around: Taking a look in my fridge, it appears that Ozarka and Nestle water bottles have similar caps.

Mostly

Newly Enlightened
Cool! But I don't have a D10... yet. I was just about to get a Proton Pro when the D10 came out... so now I'm not sure which to get
thinking.gif
(First!) :)

But back to the topic--I found that two different caps from glue sticks will work as diffusers on my 2nd gen Inova X1, which is 18.3mm diameter. I had to wrap a few loops of scotch tape around the flashlight head to get the glue stick caps to fit snugly, though. This makes me think the 19mm D10 might be a good fit without adding tape.

Maybe someone with a D10 has a glue stick cap to try out? One brand is Avery, and that cap is about two inches long (for a lantern/diffuser), and the other is only about 3/4" long (brand unknown), and will push almost all the way onto the X1.

Chaz

Newly Enlightened
Excellent idea! I took a look at some Poland Spring water bottles and they have the same design lid which fit perfectly. Rather than cutting off all of the outside, removing part of it on each side provides an anti-roll feature as well.

e2x2e

Enlightened

I tried your trick. It works well but it doesn't let enough light through(I guess that is the point though). I tried it to try to get rid of the awful Cree ring.

BTW...you can always remove adhesive with WD-40 or Naphtha based fluid...I use Zippoe fluid it removes adhesive really well. Just be careful you don't :candle::poof::wow::oops: <--If you know what I mean...:thumbsup:

Marduke

Flashaholic
While sipping some Kirkland water waiting for fireworks to start tonight, I thought about something. The D10 and NDI use the same reflector, and should be close to the same size. I took the cap off, and sure enough, it works for the NDI too!! Fits nicely and comes just down over the 3 prongs. Immediately took out the swiss army knife and trimmed off the sides while my wife sat there pretending not to know me :rolleyes:

I might have a few spare caps laying around for those less fortunate. Send me a PM if you need one in the US.

BTW, the "Satin" Scotch tape (not matte) works best for a diffuser film.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I took my Dremel to my cap and was able to remove the lettering and other plastic bumps, etc. I get a little less than 20% loss. My SF F04 seems to create about 10% loss. My goal is to get about 10% loss through one of these caps, but I don't know if that is posisble. :)

I'm going to try thinning out the plastic, polishing it up, etc.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Neat idea.

I was playing around with something similar for the "tent light" concept, using a translucent 35mm film canister with the D10. Despite it being stood up in the photo, I was thinking of it more for a suspended overhead light (perhaps).

080705-02.jpg

ruriimasu

Enlightened
that is nice varuscelli. i just cant seem to find any translucent containers or caps in my home... argh... im gonna run down to a bigger mart to get a bottled drink with one of these caps :ohgeez: