do-it-yourself diffuser for NiteCore D10

Abyssos

Newly Enlightened
You guys are killing me. I don't have D10 (yet). Now, I am compelled to get one so I can join in on dumper diving for bottle caps.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Normal soda bottle caps work for the Nightcore Extreme (several colors available as well). Norwegian 1.5l juice twist caps are even better;)

Great for reading maps at night when the low of the Nitecores is still a bit bright in the center. There is a bit of output loss, but it is still plenty bright even on low.

Sverre

piojo

Newly Enlightened
Variation for the Fenix LD10 and Inova X5

Inspired by this thread, I just made diffusers for my Fenix ld10 and my girlfriend's Inova X5. We used film canisters (which I think are even more translucent than a white grocery bag). We stacked two canisters instead of one to increase the light output around the sides (just taping them together in the middle). On one end, on the inside of the cap, we placed some aluminum foil so that all light would come out the sides, and none out the top, for we are thinking of using our flashlights as lanterns.

dark.jpg
ribs.jpg

I cut a star pattern in the bottom of a canister to shove the flashlight into it.

I also made a "straight" diffuser to throw the light straight forward--this is just a tube made of paper from a paper-towel tube, and a piece of plastic from a film canister. I would welcome suggestions on how to make a more durable tube for this diffuser.
straight_diffuser.jpg

jslappa

Enlightened
Red Green Blue Yellow Diffuser for under $6

So I'd first like to give props to the OP for the "water bottle diffuser" idea. I used a .5L Ice Mountain brand water bottle cap for my diffuser. The diffuser mounts very well, as the ends of the diffuser actually curve in to grip the head of the D10 quite snugly. The diffuser is deep enough that a colored lens can be placed in there and still give the D10 a solid fit.

I realized that I just bought a reall small angle-neck light from a local Army Surplus store. Just like the one I used in the Marines, it has four filters in it. A Red, Green, Blue and Yellow filter. They are a bit too big, but nothing a little dremel work couldn't fix. The light was $5 and the bottle of water was $1.

Here we go..my cheapest dremel, the D10, reflectors from $5 angle light and the diffuser I just made. Note the pieces of the bottle cap to the right.
04212009267.jpg

The lip of the diffuser is deep enough to house a filter securely.
04212009268.jpg

I wrapped the diffuser in ceran wrap because I used it to trace the right size on the filters. I could have used the head of the D10 too.
04212009271.jpg

I get the red filter sanded down well enough to fit inside the diffuser, then use that as that same red filter as the template for the other three. I hold the two together in one hand, and dremel around the next filter until they are the same size. Repeat till all filters are shaped. Then I smoothed out the filters so they dropped right into the diffuser. All 4 filters actually fit inside the diffuser for easy storage.
04212009276.jpg

Yellow filter on D10, with the other 3 filters next to it
04212009283.jpg

Then green, red and finally, blue.
04212009281.jpg

04212009280.jpg

04212009279.jpg

daf3m

Enlightened
Even i don't have any Nitecores ,i love your creativity!!!lovecpf

SiliconCali

Newly Enlightened
Agreed, this is a great thread. Thanks for the tips fellas.

A water bottle cap turned my Nitecore Extremes' ugly beam into a sweet white wall of light. Simple fix with an amazing difference.

LedTed

Enlightened
Just to make this a little easier for anyone else searching for a diffuser cap, here is a list of the water bottle caps that have been reported to fit the D10:
Kirkland - Costco
Target brand
Poland Spring - some
K-Mart discount bottled water
Ethos - Starbucks
Zephyrhills
Arrowhead
Classic Selection Spring Water - 7-11

Hello all,

Thanks for the list FsTop!

Just a quick update to let you know that what seem to be the new Target brand (AKA: Archer Farms) water bottle caps from the 16.9 Fl Oz packages work quite nicely as a diffuser on a NC D10. The inner ring snaps quite nicely on the LED end.

I also realized that if you had no clip, the cap would work well as a physical lock-out.

Later,

Last edited:

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just read the thread and I have an idea/question.

If you were to do the water bottle diffuser option and you drilled a hole in the middle of it, would you not get some distance and diffused light at the same time?

Could someone try this and post some pics? I'm curious if it would work and what it would look like.

George

goldenlight

Enlightened
I just read the thread and I have an idea/question.

If you were to do the water bottle diffuser option and you drilled a hole in the middle of it, would you not get some distance and diffused light at the same time?

Could someone try this and post some pics? I'm curious if it would work and what it would look like.

George

This question was never answered, and now the D11 (battery sucking cr@p, IMHO) and the D11.2 (claims to have fixed the 'battery sucking' function that NiteCore tried to ignore....) are available, this thread may be of interest to a whole new group of people.

Latest posts