PT EOS or BD Spot?!?!

saabgoblin

Enlightened
Beware, you may be buying older stock that haven't been upgraded with newer generation leds that are brighter and more efficent.

Personally, I love the Eos but I admire the Spot for having more lighting options.

I tend to stay with PT because:
Very water resistant
More Durable
Regulated
Ability to use numerous battery chemistries

I tend to stay away from BD Because
Seemingly less durable
Not Regulated
Not certain if they can handle different battery types

I think that they are both good lights, all depends on your end usage. Might help if you throw in your planned usage.

Last edited:

vtunderground

Enlightened
I second everything that Saabgoblin said. IMHO, the newer EOS (with the Rebel LED) is one of the best headlamps for the money out there.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Yea the new 4-mode Rebel EOS is just about perfect in my view. Works so well in the field. It has a low that is low enough. The med setting works great for night hikes and the high lights up the woods. Check out my review of the EOS/EOS II.

I have never owned a BD Spot but heard it was not regulated and therefor can't use lithium batteries. This makes it a no go for me.

yowzer

Enlightened
If the Spot is like others in BD's current line, it'll have an awesome Cree and mediocre-to-crappy 5mm LEDs. The (new revision) EOS has an awesome Rebel LED with a floody spot. It's regulated; the Spot isn't. (Personally, I prefer non-regulated headlamps because I'm looking for long battery life versus a short period of constant light. Mileage varies. I looked at both (Well, the old EOS as the new version hadn't come out) recently and went with a 3rd choice.) A lot depends on personal preference and what you plan on using the light for.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I used to like BD headlamps. A while back when I decided to get a new headlamp, I did my homework and concluded PT headlamps are better (for my needs, at least). I now own 4 or 5 Eos (3 modded with P4's in them) and 1 Apex Pro (still stock, but will get a P4 transplant at some point).

I really like the Apex, but I like the Eos better.

Bdr1783

Newly Enlightened
I have the bd spot as a 2nd light on my caving helmet and it's really bright. I dont have a lot to compare it to but my new 80 lumen pt apex. The apex is noticable brighter but doesnt seem by alot. now the leds aren't the greatest but they still give you a good bit of light.

2ManyLights

Newly Enlightened
This is all great information, and I thank all that have replied!

I think I will look most closely at the EOS. I will use this mostly for hiking/camping. I usually try to have camp set before sundown, so camp use will trump night hiking.

Here's my new worry... how do I tell (before purchase) that the EOS is a new one with the Rebel? Did they change the UPC? Is there a packaging identifier?!

Woods Walker

I think another CPF member got burned on a 25 dollar EOS Ebay deal. Seems the light was stated as the newer 50 lumen but turned out to be the older 21 lumen. :thumbsdow

Bdr1783

Newly Enlightened
I worried about that to so i sent them an e-mail stating that if the light wasnt as they said i was going to return the light at there expense on shipping they agreed. but i got the bd spot since it was lighter and pretty much the same light over all. just my 2 cents

Woods Walker

How does one tell if they are getting a 08 spot with a Cree? I seen some at EMS and have a 25 dollar off card.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new Black Diamond Spot headlight doesn't have a textured reflector. The reflector is made of a grid pattern of squares or rectangles. It's like a checker board pattern in the reflector and has the same effect as a textured reflector. That's how you can tell them apart from the old one, but that information will probably only help you on in store purchasing.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, the BD Spot can't take lithium? Bummer.

I picked up a new Rebel EOS tonight at ****'s and compared it to my old BD Spot:

Pros for the spot:
-I prefer the UI of the Spot. I like that I can change the intensity of the light by just partially depressing the switch and a two full clicks changes to the other mode (single LED or the set of three LEDs).

- The switch is easier to activate on the Spot, bigger and easier to locate.

- Has both the 1w LED and three super bright LEDs.

Cons for the spot:

- Not regulated - can't use lithiums for the winter (so I hear).

- Very difficult to get the battery compartment open.

- Not waterproof.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Pros for EOS:

- Waterproof.

- Easy to open battery compartment.

- Regulated.

Cons of EOS:

- I don't like the UI: I'd like to be able to change brigthness levels without turning the light all the way off and back on if I've been using it for a while.

- I find the switch button difficult to operate.

I may return the EOS. I considered using it for kayaking at night, because of it's waterproofness, but I'd like some of the floodier small LEDs like the Spot has for close up work.

I may put lithiums in it and leave it in the car for the winter.

Woods Walker

I may return the EOS. I considered using it for kayaking at night, because of it's waterproofness, but I'd like some of the floodier small LEDs like the Spot has for close up work.

I also kayak at night and think the Rebel EOS would be better than the small LED of the Spot based on the 5mm of my APEX. You need a combo of throw and flood for night yak trips. The EOS beam is far better when tested in the field than the back yard or on whitewalls.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Rebel EOS just doesn't have a low enough or floody enough low to be a better all around light then the BD Spot for me.

I prefer the UI of the Spot and the option of spot or floody beam. I do have satin scotch tape over the 5mm LEDs to smooth out their beam.

I wish that the Spot was regulated, tolerated lithiums, was waterproof and was easier to change the batteries.

Does the Rebel EOS float with lithium batteries?

Woods Walker

I don't know if the EOS will float with Lithiums. Maybe next time I roll the yak I will find out.

Last edited: