Quad cree led !

bigballer1

Newly Enlightened
This is great news. No doubt LED technology is getting better and better. Can't wait for the day when LEDs can compete with low pressure sodium lights in terms of energy efficiency (up to 200 lumens/W !!!), while maintaining low cost.
I do hope the final product will be better than the SSC P7 in terms of both cost and energy efficiency

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are 8 pins on the LED -- so it is in effect 4 separate LEDs, that means you can wire it however you please: 4s, 2s2p, or 4p.

Also even in the parallel, or series-parallel configurtions, unlike the P7 or Lux5, you can balance the currents going through each emitter by feeding each LED, or string of LEDs with a separate driver. This also means that in some lights, like mag mods, users can use 4 cheap buck converters meant for single LEDs, rather than trying to find a dedicated driver to handle 3A+

It also means you can have one, two, three or four lights on at any one time.
Four levels with a simple switch, and if one of the leds is on a dimmer 0 - 100, 200, 300, 400...

You could also have the lights "spin" and hynotize people like they did in the movies from the 30's :)

Last edited:

Greg G

Enlightened
I guess I'm putting a couple of personal builds on hold. These look great.

I guess my buddies will get their cheesy single die lights built while I wait for some of these.........:devil:

Marduke

Flashaholic
Does anyone else notice something (or the lack of something) in the picture??

The metal ring surrounding the dome on XR-E's which is generally attributed to the "cree rings" is no longer present. Perfect beam pattern perhaps??

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is great. One configuration (wired in series) could be a direct drive off of 4 RCR123's in a Solarforce L2 with 2 extension tubes , which son of a democrat, I already have. :D

All I need is the new drop-in pill. At 700mA total I could run it for 2 hours off the batteries easily.

That would make a most excellent rifle light, sliding into pre-existing mounts and lighting up the night.

Amongst many other options and uses of course. :grin2:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see two downsides: first, it'll most likely cost the same as four XR-Es, or maybe even more. :( Second, look at those teeny tiny legs :eek: - it looks like they'll pretty much have to be pre-mounted on star boards.

Still, those are very small downsides indeed compared to the upsides. :)

HumanLumen

Newly Enlightened
Note that this LED won't be as good as the XR-E with an aspheric lens as the lumen spatial distribution is wider, also the lumen per surface area will be less due to a lower maximum current.
Good news for reflectors though as more light will be captured by a similar reflector than the XR-E
HL

daveman

Enlightened
The charts and Vf specs are per die. The flux is the total for all four dies. The lowest bin is 370 lumens minimum at 350 mA, or 92.5 lumens per die. This is like a high Q2 bin. The better spec of 430 lumens minimum is 107.5 lumens per die, more or less like a Q5. The dies are individually addressable, so the LED can be wired in parallel, series-parallel, or series. Series is the optimum arrangement as all dies get the same current AND I doubt they bother to Vf match the dies (making parallel driving a risky proposition at best unless you use individual drivers for each element). This is indeed the one we've been waiting for. Much better than the P7 in my opinion. Output at 700 mA of even the lower bin is greater than a 60 watt household incandescent, but with a power input of only 9.4 watts.
I agree, this would seem to be much better than Seoul's P7.

Generally, with paper and ink specs, I would not be so ready to give credits, but with Cree's flawless record of bring hardware out of vapor in the past 2+ years, I think they'll have these out within 2 months from now.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see two downsides: first, it'll most likely cost the same as four XR-Es, or maybe even more. :( Second, look at those teeny tiny legs :eek: - it looks like they'll pretty much have to be pre-mounted on star boards.
Even if it's more expensive, it's still worth it compared to buying 4 separate Crees, especially considering you don't need to spend the money, time, and effort mounting 4 separate reflectors to end up with an ultimately poorer final product.

Now that this is the same footprint as a standard Cree XR-E, I'd love to see one of these in a neutral tint (~4000k) in SMALL 18650 light, with continuously variable brightness from fraction of a lumen all the way up to hundreds of lumens, using a UI of the proposed Liteflux LF5XT, along with additonal thermal regulation to prevent it from cooking to death in the event of accidetnal turn-on in jacket.

It also means you can have one, two, three or four lights on at any one time.
Four levels with a simple switch, and if one of the leds is on a dimmer 0 - 100, 200, 300, 400...
This is actually pretty cool. Consider that if you want to reduce output, you can turn on only one die still at full output, and you'll end up with better throw than you would by operating all 4 dice at reduced output.

That also means that you could optimize your reflector's focus so it is centered about only one of the dice (your "high" beam) and so that turning the other three on would produce a "low" beam pattern that emits light skewed downward and to the sides.

I also anticipate this package hosting a red-amber-gren-blue emitter setup in the near future, where independent control wuld allow variable color.

Last edited:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
This does sound interesting! We all knew it was coming, but the package here may be a knockout for us flashaholics. Thanks for the breaking news.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even if it's more expensive, it's still worth it compared to buying 4 separate Crees, especially considering you don't need to spend the money, time, and effort mounting 4 separate reflectors to end up with an ultimately poorer final product.
Very true. I had in mind large area lights, where raw L/$ plays a big part and mounting is very easy.
Now that this is the same footprint as a standard Cree XR-E, I'd love to see one of these in a neutral tint (~4000k) in SMALL 18650 light, with continuously variable brightness from fraction of a lumen all the way up to hundreds of lumens, using a UI of the proposed Liteflux LF5XT, along with additonal thermal regulation to prevent it from cooking to death in the event of accidetnal turn-on in jacket.
YES. Oh yes.

lumenlover2

Newly Enlightened
Or a HDS + 18650 tube + more heatsink with the thermal regulation inside it would be cool for 600 lumen burstmode :devil:

MILKYYYYYYY ! ;)

When do you all think we`ll see the first mods?

Last edited:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
With a whole lot of heatsinking, one of these in 2S2P DD off a pair of 14500s could make for an interesting Minimag.

brightarc

Newly Enlightened
Awesome! Now that's a sweet looking LED!
Looks like Cree listened to all feedback when they designed this piece of hardware :poke:xD

bexamous

Newly Enlightened
"This is actually pretty cool. Consider that if you want to reduce output, you can turn on only one die still at full output, and you'll end up with better throw than you would by operating all 4 dice at reduced output."

Wait what? I get how it would be neat to be able to turn on one die at a time but don't leds get more efficinet at lower currents? So wouldn't you get more light with each die turned on with 150ma rather than just one die at 600ma?

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
"This is actually pretty cool. Consider that if you want to reduce output, you can turn on only one die still at full output, and you'll end up with better throw than you would by operating all 4 dice at reduced output."

Wait what? I get how it would be neat to be able to turn on one die at a time but don't leds get more efficinet at lower currents? So wouldn't you get more light with each die turned on with 150ma rather than just one die at 600ma?
You would get more overall output, but since that output is spread across an area 4x as large, it wouldn't throw as far as if it were concentrated to a single emitter. In most cases, that probably won't be practical anyway because in a throw light your'e going to generally want to run as much output as you can get, anyway, but it is a possibility.

easilyled

Flashaholic
This interesting thread will be buried unless its transferred to the correct
forum (the LED section).

Last edited:

Latest posts