Quark Pro XML2 fine 3.5 months, now develops preflash after deoxy gold & clip change

mmace1

Enlightened
Quark Pro XML2 fine 3.5 months, now develops preflash after deoxy gold & clip change

Again - Quark Pro 2xAA XML-2. I've had it 3.5 months & it never once preflashed. Today I changed the clip to the deep pocket carry version, replaced the o-ring in the tailcap, and treated all threads with Deoxy Gold. Now there's preflash everytime I turn it on in low mode.

Unfortunately I did all those at once, so the variables are mixed.

HOWEVER - if I loosen the head a little over a quarter turn, and turn it on low, the preflash is just barely detectable. If I loosen it less than that amount (i.e. - how I'd always done before) - it's similar to every other Quark preflash I've read about: Probably high, very brief, like a camera flash.

Has this happened to anyone else who did one or more of the above? Any possible reasons why any of the above could have caused this?

Last edited:

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never noticed a preflash on mine until after I did major maintenance on mine too. No way to avoid it unfortunately...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mmace1

Enlightened
Re: Quark Pro XML2 fine 3.5 months, now develops preflash after deoxy gold & clip cha

get over it.
the quark has pre-flash.

Way ahead of you - this started four hours ago, and it doesn't really bother me. Just curious why my maintenance would make it go from no pre-flash, to having it.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quark Pro XML2 fine 3.5 months, now develops preflash after deoxy gold & clip c

From your description, and the fact that does not pre-flash with >1/4 turn loosening, it sounds like the battery tube edge is momentarily touching the "tight" bezel sensing ring in the head when you activate it. Threads have a little bit of play in them, if I loosen the bezel by a 1/4 turn or less, with the light on, I can access turbo by applying sideways pressure to the head - "bending" it if you will. (I actually consider it a "feature" though - it gives the Pro/Regular UI a sort of "momentary" functionality).

Assuming you are not touching, or putting any pressure on, the bezel in any way during activation, then maybe there is a touch of lube, or sliver of metallic substance, somehow arcing the tight bezel connection momentarily. Perhaps wiping down the edge of the batt, tube, and the copper surface in the head it mates to, with a dry Q-tip will help..... whatever it is, it definitely sounds like physical/mechanical connection issue, and not something that has changed in the head/driver.

FWIW, I have many Quarks (mostly XMLs) all seem to have minuscule (0.6 lumen?) pre-flash on moonlight mode. And of the 3 XPGs I have, only my tactical interface Turbo pre-flashes with full output. I also put a dab of paint on my bezel to mark where the 1/3 turn loosened position is - at this point, the tight bezel sensing ring cannot be activated.

Good luck.

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Quark Pro XML2 fine 3.5 months, now develops preflash after deoxy gold & clip cha

get over it.
the quark has pre-flash.
Seriously? If a thread such as this bothers you perhaps you should not read/respond to it.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast

sorry all, didn't mean to sound rude.

Way ahead of you

:wave:

:thumbsup:

Last edited:

sticktodrum

Enlightened

Odd that it would just develop it. Did you try cleaning it out and running it dry? I've had two Pro's, both were QP2L-X with the XM-L2 and they didn't have any pre-flash at all.

mmace1

Enlightened
Re: Quark Pro XML2 fine 3.5 months, now develops preflash after deoxy gold & clip c

Perhaps wiping down the edge of the batt, tube, and the copper surface in the head it mates to, with a dry Q-tip will help...FWIW, I have many Quarks (mostly XMLs) all seem to have minuscule (0.6 lumen?) pre-flash on moonlight mode.
Good luck.

We have a winner. After cleaning, I now also get a very small pre-flash - which still was not there before. However, the full 400 lumen preflash is gone. Thanks.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quark Pro XML2 fine 3.5 months, now develops preflash after deoxy gold & clip c

We have a winner. After cleaning, I now also get a very small pre-flash - which still was not there before. However, the full 400 lumen preflash is gone. Thanks.

Glad to hear that it's resolved.... However, I do believe the tiny pre-flash has been there and you just never noticed it until you started looking for it. I've had a dozen QAA2-Xs pass through my hands (gifts and purchases for friends and family during the great rebranding sales) and they all have the minuscule pre-flash.

mmace1

Enlightened
Re: Quark Pro XML2 fine 3.5 months, now develops preflash after deoxy gold & clip c

12 XM-L Quarks is a comparitively huge sample, and that seems like such a well thought out and plausible explanation, Scully. But...

I always try out new lights in a pitch black room, so I think I would have noticed that preflash before. Additionally - I could see this preflash just putting the light up agasint the side of my desk...until 30 minutes ago: now it's disappeared! Now I can't even detect a preflash in a ***** black room. Something weird is going on.

But I'm not Mulder so I don't really care. Anyway, thanks again!