Quarks failed. I need a new pocket light

bthrel

Newly Enlightened
I have the JetBeam RRT-0 enroute to me right now. As well as a EagleTac T20C2 MkII and Nitecore D20 R2. :thumbsup: :broke:

The EagleTac P20C2 MkII or T20C2 MkII would make a nice replacement for you Q123-2.

For a replacement for your Quark Mini123, take a look at the ITP A1 EOS 1x123. The UI is identical to the Mini123 (which I have) - twisty > low > med > hi and is rated at 190 lumens.

I have a RRT-0 and its most often carried EDC light, but I sure wish the The EagleTac P20C2 MkII would take a 18650 battery, I'd be all over it then..

Brian

passive101

Enlightened
I just ordered the Jetbeam RRT-0! :D

Thanks for the help everyone on the recommendations that fit my needs

AILL

Newly Enlightened

UpChUcK

Enlightened
...but I sure wish the The EagleTac P20C2 MkII would take a 18650 battery, I'd be all over it then.

I R E A L L Y wanted the P20C2 MkII due to the smaller form factor and equal light output to the T20C2 MkII, but ultimately, I wanted the 18650 capability as well which is why I went with the T20C2 MkII.

bthrel

Newly Enlightened
I R E A L L Y wanted the P20C2 MkII due to the smaller form factor and equal light output to the T20C2 MkII, but ultimately, I wanted the 18650 capability as well which is why I went with the T20C2 MkII.

I was torn to do that, but ultimately ended up with the new Jet III PRO ST BVC R2, I like 18650 lights and have 3 now, (afore mentioned Jetbeam, RRT-2 and RRT-1). My decision was based on not liking the tactical interface and body style. Still, I bet its a great light...

Cheers

Brian

member 6142

Newly Enlightened
I am not convinced that this is a coincidence that BOTH your Quarks are having issues. I do not wish to imply that you are operating your lights wrongly, but it is the simplest explanation for why BOTH of your lights are having issues.

I am curious to know how much you tighten down the various parts of your light. I believe tightening it down too hard (quite excessively) may cause the innards to unscrew slightly (this can happen on OTHER lights that are similar in design, but I have not inspected my Quarks carefully enough to know if this is a design problem with these lights), which could cause intermittent contact that would result in the experience you are having.

Conversely, not tightening the bezel all the way down on the MiNi or the switch on the regular could also cause intermittent contact which would also cause the same issues.

You may have a better experience with a Ra Clicky. It is a bit bigger than a lot of popular lights (about 1" diameter) but is very robust. You may also be pleased with a Surefire E1B, which is another excellent option and a good deal slimmer.

Here it is one more Quark (123x2) that ceased working without any apparent reason. Always kept in its holster. Never overtightened. never dropped. I won't never send it back for repair. More the cost of shipping than the value of light itself.

Back to the question:
e1b is good but won't eat other than primaries :(
Thus I'd recommend:
1)Nitecore Extreme R2 (with a SF 1" diffuser if needed) if you're on a budget
EDIT:
The head is fully compatible with SF E series, as a side note ;)

2)RaClicky if you are looking for the best

Last edited:

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
passive101 - like carrot, I find it very very strange that both your lights are doing that - considering I've NEVER seen a light come back that changes modes by itself. Sounds fishy to me. Send it back and I'll send two new replacements. It's important that we find out the reason if indeed it's doing that.

daberti - did you check if the batteries are fresh? you wouldn't believe how many lights that come back with complaints that it doesn't work when actually it's the batteries were dead. Also sometimes people don't tighten down the tail, the clip retaining ring or somethings the switch module retaining ring. You should give up, send our customer service an email and we'll get it straightened out.

prof

Enlightened
OP: You mentioned wanting a clip. I just added a tec p-7 suspension clip with a McGizmo nano clip to my quark 123 (not a mini). I've got the AA body for the quark also and was not happy with the way the original clip worked (in either bezel up or down configuration). I like the quark clip on my AA^2 turbo, but not on the smaller lights. The p-7 is a great solution, and allows for deep carry. It's almost too deep with the nano clip--if I carry it with my keys, the bezel rubs the keys a bit. I may have to remove the nano clip (or try the pico clip) to stop this. Otherwise, it's almost invisible. You can order the clips from Lighthound.

Also, please take 4Sevens up on his offer--let him find the cause so he can continue to improve his lights. That helps everyone.

prof

passive101

Enlightened
I definitely will take 4 sevens up. I love my Quark lights :D Especially the neutral LED one.

The only part of the Jet RRO-0 I don't like is the clip looks really cheap and flimsy. I already found a picture and messaged another member here about how he upgraded the clip on his and he informed me. I'm going to order 1 or 2 of those :laughing:

member 6142

Newly Enlightened
daberti - did you check if the batteries are fresh? you wouldn't believe how many lights that come back with complaints that it doesn't work when actually it's the batteries were dead. Also sometimes people don't tighten down the tail, the clip retaining ring or somethings the switch module retaining ring. You should give up, send our customer service an email and we'll get it straightened out.

4sevens thanks for getting in. Batteries were both AW RCR123 straight out of the charger and e2 out of the blister. Tail has been tightened properly.
I could eventually check with a DMM....but same batts and my EagleTac T20C2 MkII works.

csa

Enlightened
I have to add my voice to the chorus and say "look at the surefire products." If your budget is substantially larger than that, look at the various custom lights produced by McGizmo - they're absolutely gorgeous and incredibly reliable. That said, I'm sure 4sevens will make it right with quarks.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I definitely will take 4 sevens up. I love my Quark lights :D Especially the neutral LED one.

I have 3 Quarks, no problems with any of them. Glad you will take up 4seven's offer and hopefully you will end up with Quarks that work as they should.

Hopefully he will be able to figure out what is wrong with yours, and let us know what the problem is so we can help others in the future if they experience a similar issue.

I EDC a Ti Quark 123x2. I thought it would be too large for EDC, but it has been fine.