Questions Tactical LED Flashlight using NiMh

Woots

Newly Enlightened
I recently just bought a Coast A25 LED Flashlight and it requires 4X AAA Batteries. I know NiMh's biggest weakness are their low voltages which for things like flashlights is something you need to get brighter light. The real question how much of a hit am I going to take on brightness if I buy a set of NiMh AAA's. I was looking at the Sanyo XX series of batteries since they appear to be the best in class NiNh in the market right now (that I can tell)... Sanyo XX are the generation 2 Eneloops, but with 500 mAH more than their normal Eneloop 2 cousins. I think the Sanyo XX also claims better voltage over longer time frames than the other models. Does anyone have experience using NiMh's in these kinda flashlights and if so any recommendations on which brand of battery to invest in.. or should I just stick to alkaline and not bother. Thanks in advance!

glasssplinter

Newly Enlightened
Really depends on what type of led they used and the voltage requirements. I'm running NiMH in my Mag XL50 and can't tell the difference. Maybe if I had a lux meter but not worth it. They like to eat batteries so just keep them topped off and you should be fine. You'll be the final judge on whether the brightness is acceptable. I run Eneloops right now (the white wrapper with blue text).

Woots

Newly Enlightened
Really depends on what type of led they used and the voltage requirements. I'm running NiMH in my Mag XL50 and can't tell the difference. Maybe if I had a lux meter but not worth it. They like to eat batteries so just keep them topped off and you should be fine. You'll be the final judge on whether the brightness is acceptable. I run Eneloops right now (the white wrapper with blue text).

Thanks for quick reply. I will give these Sanyo XX's a shot I think they will work and only one way to know how it will go.... just test em.

I think I feel asleep at the wheel a little to long though. Looks like Amazon is only website online I can find that sells Sanyo XX (AAA) batteries.

Does anyone know where I can buy Sanyo XX AAA's online besides Amazon?

shadowjk

Enlightened
I'd get normal eneloops, for the price of Sanyo XX you can get more of the normal eneloops. My memory has it that the normal eneloops retain higher voltage under high load too.
Sanyo XX aren't really "gen 2 eneloops", they're rather a hybrid between the regular high capacity Sanyo 2700 technology, and the low-self-discharge eneloop technology. The normal eneloop provides excellent power capability, retaining higher voltages under load, and excellent self-discharge properties, allowing you to store fully charged ones for 5 years or more before they lose their charge. The sanyo 2700 has higher energy (energy is not same as power), sacrifices power and has higher self-discharge. You wont get the benefiit of the extra 700-800mAh unless you use them right after charging. XX sits in between.

To take a car analogy, the eneloop is a V12 engine with a smaller fuel tank. The Sanyo 2700 is a 4 cylinder 1.4 litre engine with a large fuel tank. However, the sanyo 2700 has a large hole in the fuel tank so it leaks. Sanyo XX is a compromise between the two.

This applies equally to other brands too, I'm just using Sanyo as example because it's the best on all fronts.

Now as for voltages, in a high performance regulated flashlight the alkaline might provide higher voltage for the first few minutes, but after that the nimh battery will be providing higher voltage. Whether that actually gives higher brightness or not depends on the circuitry. In a regulated light you'll probably find that the brightness stays fairly constant with voltages (under load) down to 1V or so. I would expect the nimh battery to maintain higher than 1V for longer than the alkaline battery. With the alkaline battery you'd get a longer "tail" of less than full brightness, the tail might be so long you don't actually notice the gradual decrease in brightness. With nimh the tail would be shorter. Some other regulation circuitry, on the other hand, will switch the the next lower brightness level if the battery is not able to provide enough power for the requested brightness, causing a noticeable step-down in brightness, making it easier to notice when the battery is getting low.

To return to our car analogy, the alkaline battery is a weak but high-rpm 2-stroke engine with a large fuel tank. For some things you might want and need 20,000 rpm, but if you put any higher load on it the engine it chokes and sags to lower rpms than the nimh engines.

Energizer lithiums on the other hand have excellent voltage under load, and high capacity. On top of that they have fantastic shelf life. The perfect battery to stock up on for apocalypse survival.

In summary, I'd recommend the regulat eneloop batteries.

UserName

Newly Enlightened
Just about any device drawing substantial power will make an alkaline sag below the voltage of a nimh battery. Maybe for the first 10% of the alk's life it will have higher voltage, but it will go downhill fast. Alkalines are rated at 1.5V, but even brand new cells struggle to hold that under a load. Nimh are rated at 1.2V, but they are 1.2 when dead, they are more like 1.3-1.4 for most of the discharge cycle, and most have little voltage sag under load.

Eneloops are some of the best in terms of minimal voltage sag under load. Eneloop XX's are said to have more voltage sag. Chalk me up as another vote for the regular eneloops.

teacher

Newly Enlightened
Another vote for the Eneloops.
I personally am not real impressed with the Sanyo XX. I bought 4 of the AA's to try them out. I will not be buying any more though. Regular Eneloops are the best thing since sliced bred as far as I am concerned...... ;)