RARE MAGLITES

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice! Do you have any story behind it? I was wondering if this is something that would have been standard issue or maybe if they were ordered for a special event. The serial number is likely around 1995 or 1996.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
Not rare, but I thought you guys may find it interesting.

I did a knotless paracord wrap on this 2C last night. It's the first one I've tried on a Mag. Kinda hard to keep it tight enough from slipping on the aluminum surface without 3 hands, but I got it going after a few tries. Didn't come out quite as good as I wanted, but I have something else I'm gonna try on the next one. Maybe tonight.

Regular 550 cord makes a C tube a little less thick than a D. I stripped the 7 inner cords out of this one and just used the sheath and it lays pretty flat without adding much thickness. Feels pretty good in the hand.

I've done these wraps on mower handles, shovel, hoe, ax, cheater bars. They work well and stay tight. I generally prefer my lights without it, but some of the colors do look pretty cool.

Also, just to be sure - do you guys prefer to keep this thread for "rare" Maglites only? or other Maglite related photos too, such as this one? Thanks.

JT

l9bb564.jpg
[/IMG]

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Last edited:

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very cool!! I vote that rare/unique/unusual/offbeat are all acceptable. I've posted some lights here that I modded that aren't necessarily rare but are pretty unique.

Do ya have a guide online about how to wrap that? I'll prob do one of my 2Cs like that as it looks pretty cool and makes for a different kind of look.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
Thanks guys. Liftd, I got the handle wraps out of a book called Adventures in Paracord by Nicholas Tomihama. That one's just called the "basic wrap", and there are a couple others with criss cross and looped patterns. Unfortunately, most of the rest of the book is survival bracelet type of stuff that I never really used. The handle wraps are what I've used most out of it. There's probably a demo vid somewhere online. Lemme know if you don't find it and I'll figure out a way to get it to ya.

JT

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
Thanks for clarifying, yes this is a great Mag thread and sure gets a lot of views – like over 530 in the last 20 hrs. I know I've enjoyed seeing the great collections you guys have.

I'm not even sure if GM still uses the Goodwrench theme or not, but I took an interest in this older black Mr. Goodwrench Mag, to possibly upgrade and keep in my black GMC pickup.

It's a pre letter style, 2.4 million s.n., with stamped bezel, and near mint on the outside, but was full of corrosion caked inside the tube and around the switch. With the help of my favorite penetrant, Kroil, I was able to get the switch out and disassemble it completely to clean and re-use. Works great. I put one of the lanyard end caps on it for now.

Byk, that tips & tricks thread looks cool. I'm going to do a few posts about some knots and the Kroil later to bump that one up.

FQ3nwsa.jpg
[/IMG]

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Lovin' the Mr. Goodwrench theme. A Malkoff would be a sweet upgrade.
All I see are Earnhardt in the good wrench type. Nothing wrong with Earnhardt editions, but I was a Tim Richmond fan back then. (He drove for Rick Hendrick who made the Mr. Goodwrench name famous in his GTP racing program until they signed with Richard Childress)

Definitely add to that tricks thread. Cannot tell you how many threads are started asking questions that are answered on the first page of it.

An article about the demise of the Mr Goodwrench name.
https://www.google.com/amp/www.auto...-forces-full-retirement-of-mr-goodwrench/amp/

Last edited:

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome! That's likely one of the first laser etched custom order full size lights. I have a "transitional" 4 million serial Chevron light done for the El Segundo refinery just south of Mag's headquarters that's from 1991. Mag started laser etching Mini Mag bezels in 1985 due to the QA/QC issues with stamping a bezel that small. They started doing to full size bezels in 1990 and I believe they started doing customized lights that year too.

Did you have that light dated from Maglite? I'd be even money it's from early 1990. Looks like a stamped bezel which is interesting because I always figured that they went to a laser etched bezel when they shortened the grip. Sometimes they had old pats laying around they'd use up first though so it's tough to say.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
Yes, it's a stamped bezel. I didn't check the date with Mag, but I have a red 3D with stamped bezel and a 2.9 million sn, and it dated to Dec. 1, 1990.

Also, thanks for the Goodwrench link byk. That's interesting.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wanted to share a pretty cool light with you guys. I don't own this one, it was sent in on my blog with a request for some info. I get a lot of inquires from my blog. Some run of the mill, and some really out there. This was one of the more interesting ones I received. So what is it? Like Mr. Fixer's upside down Mini Mag, I believe it is an error light. The serial has a letter at the end and is missing a digit.

YHPFDUs.jpg

It's a NIB 6D. The logo, bezel, and packaging all are from 1986 to 1989. The back of the package is labelled 1988. However, the correct time serial range for that time frame is 200,000 to 400,000. The 6Ds numbered about 600,000 when they switched over to a letter serial in 1992.

8cuDc2g.jpg

KEDc3D9.jpg

An 86,000 serial light would have been produced in the early 80s and an 860,000 serial wouldn't have been until the mid 90s so I'm not entirely sure what happened here. The best I can figure is that the stamping machine was not setup correctly that day or they were trying something new out R&D wise and this one slipped through Quality Control. The owner e-mailed Mag Instrument and they didn't have any information on the light.

Pretty neat considering Mag's QA/QC is very tight. I've only seen a handful of error lights and while they don't fetch big $$$ they are a cool look into Mag's manufacturing processes.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
That's really cool. And still NIP awesome-ness!!!

I wonder if somebody at some point used to do an occasional error to see if it got out or kinda like a message in a bottle to see where it ended up.

A long, long time ago I worked at a place with those accoustic ceiling tiles about 7' above our heads. Texture galore. It was about 1983.

I was dispatched with answering the phones one day and was by myself. Back then they used to hand stamp incoming mail or outgoing letters. I stamped the current date on that ceiling above my desk about 10 times to see if anybody ever noticed. I left that job in 1998.

Not long before I left a man was leaning back in his chair tossing a rubber band ball in the air and says "I wonder who stamped the ceiling".
That 6D light perhaps was one of those things....

Last edited:

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
Now that's some rare stuff right there ... gitter' done, Liftd. Thanks for sharing, and I hope the owner sells it to ya.

Byk, you're a rogue ceiling stamper. :D

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, unfortunately not. :-( I love hearing from other Maglite collectors and seeing cool one of a kind lights but the downside is I can't have some of them, lol. I have your lights and parts boxed up so they'll be going out tomorrow.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
Been experimenting with some more paracord wraps. I like the how the two tone green and black looks on the 3C.

The 4D camo/ black one is the only one where I didn't strip the inner cord out. It doesn't really look as good to me, and adds more bulk, but it is a good way to carry some extra paracord on a camping trip or on a light you carry in the vehicle.

The last pic shows the underside of the wrap after it's tucked and tightened.

JT

sGw2vcA.jpg
[/IMG]

o6lDjRd.jpg
[/IMG]

Zp3nxZy.jpg
[/IMG]

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can someone tell me the difference in blue between color code DZ, FD and 11?

I'm struggling with these color codes... 11 = Blue, FD = Midnight Blue, but what is DZ then? And which one is the darkest blue? :thinking:

Last edited: