Rayovac 1aa headlamp

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I agree with MOST of what has been said. I too wish the blue LED was white.

However I DON'T find the LUX too bright with or without the diffuser, and use it WITH for reading in bed. I flip it over to cover the RED LED for late night/early morning trips to the throne!

Blue light bothers me more than it does a lot of people, so I generally click by it with my other hand in the way.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
... I modded mine with a bit of black vinyl electrical tape: cut off an inch and a half or so, folded over one long edge ~1/8" to form the rim, then stuck it to the bottom of the light housing so that the folded rim protrudes forward. When I tested it, though, I found that I now noticed the "tab" of the diffuser glowing; a little more electrical tape on the outside of that tab, trimmed to match the edge, and I don't see the diffused glow at all anymore...

I'll give that a try. I don't really feel like asking for nail polish anyway. :)

...I've found that I can wrap the headband around the light housing, in such a way that it stays put. Very handy for pocket carry...

I just tried wrapping it around the headplate, and then pushing the light housing up against it. It seems to stay put this way. The plastic lanyard for the battery cover seems to hold it in place.

...I'd prefer a white 5mm LED in there, too, for reading at night...

I think you're right. I'd prefer a 5mm white too.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Oh yeah, I forgot something. With my glasses on the blue or red will bother me some by reflecting off of them.

But my big Cromagnum slanted head keeps it out of my eyes with glasses off.

2ManyLights

Newly Enlightened
or maybe we could blast Rayovac with respectful and ego stroking emails to give us a low level white.

I'd even like to see green instead of blue since green throws farther and the eye is most sensitive to shades of green.

beautifully-stupid

Newly Enlightened
1 green 5mm
1 white 5mm
1 Red 5mm
1 1 watt

ohh.. and I secure the strap by folding it over itself several times and securing to the base plate via rubber bands, Secure, and relatively flat.

s.c.

Newly Enlightened
does anyone have problems with a buzzing sound when on the colored LEDs? on mine, the red and blue give different pitches, nothing on the white. any one else?

BlackDecker

Enlightened
does anyone have problems with a buzzing sound when on the colored LEDs? on mine, the red and blue give different pitches, nothing on the white. any one else?

No, I can't say that I hear any sound coming from the unit while operating either of the colored LED's.

silthdraeth

Newly Enlightened
I plan to pick this light up. I bought the 3W 2x AA Rayovac, the 4W 3xC and now I will get this one.

Maybe in a few years, I might be able to afford some of the expensive lights, but these all seem really nice for the money. If I buy anything more than this, my wife will kill me.

s.c.

Newly Enlightened
No, I can't say that I hear any sound coming from the unit while operating either of the colored LED's.

I went ahead and returned that one, it was really annoying. I now have two of them, they're great little lights.

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Almost passed it on the shelf at Walmart. Didn't realize the light and packaging were space savers :D.

Had to help a friend replace a tub fixture in a windowless, unlit (light broke) bathroom that same day. Rayovac to the rescue after popping in the included battery. :twothumbs

I left the light in backpack and found that it had turned on accidentally...but I hear a lot of headlamps have this issue because of the location and type of switch usually used.

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got to use mine the other night. Had a power outage for about 2 hours. Worked great with the diffuser for getting around the house and its very lightweight! I am running mine with an E2 lithium.

GaryF

Enlightened
I left the light in backpack and found that it had turned on accidentally...but I hear a lot of headlamps have this issue because of the location and type of switch usually used.

It's a common issue, but some are worse about it than others. The Rayovac seems to get turned on more easily than most. I just back the battery cover off about half a turn, and it is no longer a worry. ;)

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try backing the battery cap off a bit and it locks it out. I like that for two reasons....keeping it from turning on in my pack and turning the light off from red or blue without hitting the brighter level.

I don't have this light, but I have I believe the Dorcy 3AA with battery pack on the rear. It's literature did not state that the unit could be turned off from any mode simply by depressing the power button for more than 1 second, but that is the way it works. Is there any chance this light can also be turned off from any mode in the same way? Anybody tried it?

spock

Enlightened
just bought this light at wal-mart last week. i love it. here is a trick that works for me. when you rotate the diffuser over the spot, stop just shy of snapping it in place. gives a softer spot with a wide dispersion of the main beam. when you want full diffusion, just snap it in place. i keep my diffuser lens in the unlocked position over the main beam. easy to switch it out of the way for max distance.

BlackDecker

Enlightened
I get between 2 and 2.5 hours of use out of a Sanyo Eneloop AA battery. My only complaint is that the main light goes *blink* when the battery voltage drops to around 1.1v. I can switch back to the red or blue LED's and get a few more seconds each, but that's it.

I'm going to try Energizer Lithium AA's in the light for backpacking trips and see if that gains me a bit longer runtime.

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dropped my Rayovac from hand to hardwood floor. Ceased to function, no visible damage on the exterior. Can this thing even be opened up?

Pressed the button super hard, and it works again. Have to press it down super hard every single time for it to turn on and cycle now, though. Guess the switch inside shifted a little? I have to figure out how to pry this open sometime.

And yes, when it feels it is finished with the battery it just shuts off completely. It'll come back for a few seconds at a time if you turn it on again until it really can't handle it anymore :). Definitely need to carry spares!

Latest posts