RayOVac Highbeam headlamp at Costco (item# 185790, LUX3AAHDLT-B)

batvette

Newly Enlightened
Re: Steal of an LED headlamp at Costco for $15.

Yeah I saw that a couple of weeks ago and passed on it, figured I had blown the monthly flashlight budget on my Sam's HID.

Guess I know what is up next month.....

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Steal of an LED headlamp at Costco for $15.

This will make an awesome gift for a few friends that love camping. Thanks for the heads-up!

StuGatz

Enlightened
RayOVac Highbeam headlamp at Costco

We do not usually have need for a headlamp unit. However, these RayOVac Highbeam headlamps were found at Costco at about $15.00 to $16.00. The price was too good to pass up on.

It uses 3 AA batteries housed in a hard plastic container that is worn at the rear of the head strap. The plastic encased headlamp LED has four settings: High, Medium, Low, and a flashing "strobe" that is relatively slow and most likely intended as a signal. The rear housing has a rear facing red LED that is either steady or flashing.

The high setting for the headlamp is very bright and the device will tilt downward with several click adjustments to apparently allow for illumination directly in front of a walking or bicycling path. The elastic strap goes around the "brim" of the head with a center support strap over the top center of the head. They are adjustable. The strap appears to be sturdy but I am not very familiar with elastic strap headbands.

Overall this appears to be a great headlamp at a great price but again I must confess to not much experience with headlamps. Will use these in the field when applicable and will advise…

DSC01013.jpg

DSC01014.jpg

DSC01016.jpg

DSC01018.jpg

DSC01017.jpg

Best regards,

Stuart

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: RayOVac Highbeam headlamp at Costco

Nice pics... (just got mine a few days ago). Pretty narrow beam--and the 100%/50%/25% beam settings are not a big spread in power. So far, works very well.

The main thread for the Rayovac/Costco headlamp is (link removed - threads merged, thanks Bill, Sigman)

-Bill

Last edited by a moderator:

HWman

Newly Enlightened
Re: Anyone know what the LED headlamp at Costco is? (possibly Rayovac brand)

In my review (post #11) above, I mentioned an anomaly in the switch where the first press to turn the light on did not do anything. That still has not changed.

I went for a walk (probably more to use my headlamp than for the health benefits) last night. I was using low for about ten minutes. Then I decided to use high (for about 20 minutes) to test heat buildup. The air temperature was about 60 degrees. Very few signs of any warmth were detected in LED front housing.

A new problem arose then. The switch sequence repeatedly became Off-High-Medium-Strobe-Off-High-Medium-Strobe... The Low setting had vanished!

However, tonight the switch sequence is Off-Off-High-Medium-Low-Strobe-Off-Off-High-Medium-Low-Strobe...

Obviously, I will have to watch for a thermal problem with the switch. I also will have to open the second unit and test that one, too.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast

My headlamp switch also has some interesting behaviors too...

It seems that if it has been off for awhile (much longer than a few seconds), it takes two clicks to turn on. And if it has been on for a few seconds--one click turns it off. If I cycle quickly, then it just goes through the modes Off-H-M-L-S-Off-H-M-L-S...

I would guess that this is just a "non-linear" user interface (a good thing).

Extra click required for "first on" to help prevent accidental turn on in pack--And a nice "use it a bit, and one click off" (starts single click on to High next click).

I have not used it enough yet to see any other issues with heat.

-Bill

PS: Rear RED LED lamp switch appears to have no special modes (off-on-blink-off...)...

StuGatz

Enlightened

Oops...

If a moderator would like to move this to the original thread that would be OK with me. I did a search but only came up with a thread about a multi color RayOVac headlamp...:candle:

Stuart

bigmikey

Newly Enlightened

I picked one up recently, but I think I might go back and grab one more before they sell out. Cant beat the price. And its plenty bright.

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's exactly like the RR 3AA K2 Headlight sold at target but Costco is a lot cheaper. target sells it for $24.99 I remember.

Good deal and good headlight. It is spot only, not much flood. Long runtime on low (> 16 hours). Get's really hot when run on max for 5 minutes or more.

FrankSquid

Newly Enlightened

I have 2 of the River Rock versions. None of the Costcos near me in the northeast had any Ray-O-Vacs.

I mounted the lights on bike helmets for my son and I. 3 black zipties secured the headlamps to the helmets like they were made for them! The focused beam is very well suited for riding on trails at night and the rear LED helps drivers to see you on the road. Even at $25 each, these lights are a great value especially if you use them for biking.

crislight01

Newly Enlightened

Looks like the same light is being sold by multiple brands. River Rock, Rayovac and Pelican.
yes must be a chinese made sold by multiple brands.:thinking:

ttay1977

Newly Enlightened

Nice pics... (just got mine a few days ago). Pretty narrow beam--and the 100%/50%/25% beam settings are not a big spread in power. So far, works very well.

The main thread for the Rayovac/Costco headlamp is here.

-Bill
Bill, which Costco? They are not available in the East Bay yet.

Mike.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mike,

I think it was in the Foster City one--If not, it was in the South San Francisco one on EL Camino Real (in the tool/flashlight area)... I try and go by and check tomorrow and let you know if the FC still has them.

You can also go to any Costco and have them check stock in nearby stores with the Item Number too.

-Bill

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast

Checked--Foster City, SSF, and Redwood City--and only the Redwood City Costco showed stock (3PM 50 units). 4PM, two less (me), appear to have a around 40-45 on the floor in the tool/flashlight section.

-Bill

Last edited:

ttay1977

Newly Enlightened

Checked--Foster City, SSF, and Redwood City--and only the Redwood City Costco showed stock (3PM 50 units). 4PM, two less ( me), appear to have a around 40-45 on the floor in the tool/flashlight section.

-Bill

Thanks. Vallejo and Tracy also has them. The other stores in the Bay Area should have them petty soon.

BlackDecker

Enlightened

dangit... wish they'd carry these at Sam's Clubs. We don't have a Costco in the entire state.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

Merged like threads...