RayOVac Highbeam headlamp at Costco (item# 185790, LUX3AAHDLT-B)

hopkins

Enlightened
Yes looks to be a true spotlight. Perfect to bungee to the handel bars.
Has anyone tried it on a bicycle helmet yet?
Do the straps have enough adjustment?

Anyone have a nice closeup picture of the electronics inside the HighBeam?
Please post it here so we can all see the invisible DC-DC regulation chips!
LOL

Here's a pic of the Rayovac Sportman Extreme 1AA headlamp regulation
circuit. Seems to need at least 2 chips - 1 for mode switching and the other
for voltage regulation plus some resistors, diodes and a capacitor ? Does this make sense ?

http://s238.photobucket.com/albums/ff319/12eric/?action=view&current=sportman1AAheadlampcircuit.jpg

HiPower

Newly Enlightened
Hi Everyone, Does anyone know of a Costco that has these (Rayovac K2 LED headlights) in stock anywhere in the Bay Area? I went to the Sunnyvale and Fremont Costco and had no luck finding any. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
HiPower, I have also not seen it in the Bay Area.

I can confirm that San Francisco, South San Francisco (El Camino Real), and SF Airport Costco have not carried it.

In case you happened to need Sanyo Eneloop Batteries, the SF Airport Costco carried them.

Best,
SW

Wicho

Enlightened
Call the Costco in Concord - I recall seeing them there on Black Friday.

I just purchased eight of these suckers - here's how much I liked them - even though I know they had them in San Diego a week ago (where I live), I bought them in Florida and am lugging them back home with me tomorrow, just in case they're out in SD when I get back! :)

rimugu

Newly Enlightened
Ok, now I want one. I will have to raid any costco store in the vicinity!

dave43

Newly Enlightened
Are these still available? It would be nice to pick one up for $15 instead of $26 at Target.

mktiger

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I found this forum while seaching for this headlight on the net.I too have various flashlights all over the house as well as in my work van for the just in case times. One of the guys I ran into at the 4wheeler park had this headlamp on while loading up. Wish I would of asked him where he got it. Unfortunatly, I don't live around any costco's and honestly never heard of the store until I read everyones posts- I live out in the sticks in southen Indiana. Just wondering if anyone has seen these lights for sale anywhere else. We do have a Target store in town, "riverrocky" but I am trying to save the 10-11 clams.
thanks

5kids

Newly Enlightened
I'm not selling any of mine, but we do have 4 in my house. 2 of my sons recieved one for for Christmas. I keep 1 in my car, and another in my SUV. My oldest son (14) is in Boy Scouts and already has PT EOS that I picked up on a 1 day sale @ REI for $16! last year. All 3 of my sons also recieved an UCO lantern for Christmas.

I've wanted to do a photo of my 3 boys and 2 girls all wearing headlamps like the Cabela's 2007 Christmas time commerical where a sofa full of kids wearing headlamps are waiting for Santa to come down the Chimney. Commercial was very well done, that is for selling crappy Cabela's branded multi-LED headlamps.

IdahoDoug

Newly Enlightened
Hey, just a quick review of this excellent light. I've had mine for over 6 months now and used it in a variety of situations. Lately, I've used it for snowshoeing at night in temps from 25 to 0 degrees F and it's really come through. Still on the original batteries from when I bought it. I've been out from 2-4 hours at a time with it on low beam 90% of the time and in this mode it's well over 3X as bright as anyone else's lamp. So that's a total winter use of roughly 40 hours. I hope I'm not wrong that these are the original batteries come to think of it. For the 40 hours I'm sure of it, though which is impressive. Used it a lot this summer for night hikes and boating, so less sure now. Hmm. Anyone know what the battery life is - would help others assess that claim I'm making (upfront profession of ignorance here in favor of over promising a claim).

It's definitely a thrower and for close up use could use a MUCH lower level as it's "whoa" bright. Simple easy to use switch I can engage with thin gloves on yet has never been accidentally turned on in a pack. Strap stays oriented to throw on the head with a couple quick motions, it never moves even in rigorous activity. It's been soaked by snow/perspiration for hours at at time. A real good example of an excellent high value headlamp that has now proven itself worthy of a place with my best outdoor gear. I've had Petzl, and a Black Diamond 4 LED. This totally out shines them and outperforms them.

DougM

r-s

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know where we can find one of these lights? My wife just called me to say that she tried looking for it (under Rock River brand) in the nearest Target store (about an hour's drive) but all they had was an Eddie Bauer 3-LED light for like 30 bucks. (Ugh.)

We are in Western MI, no Costco in this part of the country. Nearest Walmart/Meijers is about a half-hour drive, and the closest they had was the Rayovac job with the swing-over diffuser, and red/blue LED to the side, for approx. $25. Did not get that because we thought this one would be a much better light, but cannot seem to find it under any branding.

Any suggestions/advice?

Thanks in advance!

r-s

Newly Enlightened
Thanks! I bookmarked the URL and will show it to my wife.

We broke down and bought the 1-AA/1-Watt Rayovac headlamp (the one with the swing-over diffuser, and three 5MM LEDs (two red, one blue). I was honestly surprised by the output. I was expecting to be disappointed (needed to have something, my wife needs it when she goes to the barn before sunup), but it puts out as much light as my 3W Rayovac 2/AA penlight.

Do you know how this light compares to the 1W/1AA model that we got? If the output is appreciably better then it'll be real tempting to go for it.

Sorry for the hangfire delay in replying. Have been more than a bit under the weather lately, way behind in everything now.

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both (RR version) and both are nice for what they do. I run the larger RR on low most of the time, I use it mostly intermittently and the cells seem to last forever.

The RR is mainly a spot. If you're looking to do detailed work in a concentrated area, it will suit you. I think that the ROV 1AA is a more 'comfortable' beam, even with the spot, but I'd say that the 3AA RR is brighter.

It's like comparing apples to oranges. They're very different lights. I tend towards flood beams, so the ROV is a better overall general light for me, but I'm surprised each time I use the RR 3AA at how well it works for me, in spite of the tight spot.

I don't think that you'd be sorry to own both.

pumps

Newly Enlightened
I just picked up one of these little headlights at an estate sale for $5 and it looks like new. It'll come in handy I think. Thanks for posting how it operates.