Rebel, Cree, SSC Multi-Stage 1AA Review: RUNTIMES and BEAMSHOTS

phosphor

Enlightened
Re: Rex 2.1, Luma 301, DX X.1, C-LE v1.2, Fenix L1DCE-Q2, DX/Kai 5-Stage Review: RUNT

My Fenix L2T v2.0 (with R0080) has shipped from the fenix-store.com, so I'll include that in my testing as well. According to 4sevens, the head will fit on the L1D body tube, so I can directly compare to the other 1AA DX lights.
I will be interested to see your evaluation of the new Fenix Rebel L1T v2.0 and how it compares to the rest of the group. I have one on back-order from 4 7's......I think this will be the perfect ( for the moment...LOL ) EDC and back-up for me. I also have been resisting pulling the trigger on a LM301....everyone seems to report the beam pattern on high to be bright and even, and on low to be useful. Also the price point is "attractive".

Anywho....thanks for all your nice work. I enjoy reading your reviews and find them both interesting and informative.

- best regards

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Re: Rex 2.1, Luma 301, DX X.1, C-LE v1.2, Fenix L1DCE-Q2, DX/Kai 5-Stage Review: RUNT

I will be interested to see your evaluation of the new Fenix Rebel L1T v2.0 and how it compares to the rest of the group. I have one on back-order from 4 7's......I think this will be the perfect ( for the moment...LOL ) EDC and back-up for me. I also have been resisting pulling the trigger on a LM301....everyone seems to report the beam pattern on high to be bright and even, and on low to be useful. Also the price point is "attractive".

Anywho....thanks for all your nice work. I enjoy reading your reviews and find them both interesting and informative.

- best regards

Thanks for the positive comments roberttheiii and phosphor. :)

Still waiting on the Fenix (mail is always slow to Canada from Atlanta). Got my R0100 MTE from DX, and am not too impressed so far: beam has lots of artifacts and huge purple tint shift when going to medium or low. Doesn't seem any brighter than the cree version, but still have to do all the tests.

I'm hopeful the Fenix will be a winner ...

P.S.: The LM301 does have a lovely beam, thanks to the SSC emitter

Kostoglotov

Newly Enlightened

Excellent work

Thanks

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thank you very much for all of your reviews! I really appreciate your effort.

It looks like mte with cree has nice smooth beam, almost like ssc version.

And I am really impressed with fenix efficiency and runtimes. Now I finally understand fenix hype here on CPF, it actually deserves it! :thumbsup:

Gunner12

Flashaholic

Great comparison Selfbuilt, I enjoy reading your reviews, very informative.

Coupon taken,

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Thanks for the all the positive comments guys! :wave:

It looks like mte with cree has nice smooth beam, almost like ssc version.
Good observation ... I was just thinking the same thing this morning when I was comparing it to the Rebel MTEs I've received. It is indeed the most SSC-like in its output (probably because the reflector was designed for something else, I'm guessing ;)).

And I am really impressed with fenix efficiency and runtimes. Now I finally understand fenix hype here on CPF, it actually deserves it! :thumbsup:
Yeah, Fenix is not just a pretty face! Their output/runtime efficiency is still top of the pile for these types of lights.

merlocka

Enlightened

No, there is a thread mismatch between the two lights - neither head can screw on the other's body. Note that there's also ~twice as many threads on the Rex body as compared to the X.1.

Given that, I doubt the pill assembly with the emitter would be able to screw into the opposing head of either unit.
No, there is a thread mismatch between the two lights - neither head can screw on the other's body. Note that there's also ~twice as many threads on the Rex body as compared to the X.1.

Given that, I doubt the pill assembly with the emitter would be able to screw into the opposing head of either unit.

Note - the Rex 2.1 pill DOES fit into a Jetbeam MKIIx. I was just playing around and found that out.

After going on a spending spree, I'm sitting here trying to figure out which light to carry around everyday...

Dexlight X.1 - Brightest of the bunch I have on 14500. Won't fit AW protected 14500 though. Gets hot fast on 14500. Really like this light as a pocket torch.

Jetbeam MKIIx Stock - Fits AW protected 14500 with a dot of solder on the pill's V+ contact. Looks great. Just a hair less bright than my DEX, might be just a throw vs spill thing, as my DEX seems more tightly focused. Gets hot fast on 14500. Anyone every try to drop a Q5 into one of these???

Jetbeam MKIIx with REX 2.1 pill - This was a happy accident! Fits AW protected 14500. Not as bright as regular MKIIx/DEX, but better UI.

Rexlight 2.1 - Just like the above, but with a slightly worse 14500 fit. Can get AW to fit, but need to use included spacer ring. Also, I dislike the finish appearance (personal preference).

Fenix P1D CE - Best UI. A little bigger. Lose modes on 14500. Still, almost as bright on a NiMH. I believe this is the best all-around light... but I'm always wanting a few more lumens :)

L301 - Nice dispersed beam. Good performance on alkaline, but 14500 not a good option. Biggest due to resistor switch.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Jetbeam MKIIx Stock - Fits AW protected 14500 with a dot of solder on the pill's V+ contact. Looks great. ... Jetbeam MKIIx with REX 2.1 pill - This was a happy accident! Fits AW protected 14500. Not as bright as regular MKIIx/DEX, but better UI.
Thanks for sharing your observations - I've reached much the same conclusions on these lights.

And glad to to hear the Rex 2.1 pill fits in the MkIIX. I also prefer the finish of the MkIIX over the Rexlight, so may experiment myself (currently EDCing the Rex on 14500, as I prefer the UI and excellent runtime on this battery).

FYI, my stock MkIIX takes 14500 no problem, as it has a spring on the +'ve battery contact end in the head. For that matter, both my Rexlights have also taken my AW protecteds no problem, without needing the supplied extra contact ring. But good to point out that some lights may need it ...

BobbyRS

Enlightened

I saw that too, but I think I'll pass for now. Although the body looks to be a MkII knock-off, the circuit sounds a lot simpler. Given the price tag, I think I'll let someone else take the first plunge ...

Awww, that's too bad. The review talk (https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2135946) seems to be pretty positive. The overall lux readings (at 1 meter) seem to exceed the Rex2.1 with a 14500 cell.

Fighter (bottom of post):
Med : 1410
Low : 360
High : 3680
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2136191&postcount=5

Rexlight 2.1 (bottom of post):
1x14500 Li-ion on high: 2760 Lux
1x14500 Li-ion on medium: 1154 Lux
1x14500 Li-ion on low: 192 Lux
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2093884&postcount=1

It also comes with a 2AA extension tube, a candle mode, and a diffuser on top of the simular features and extras of the Rexlight 2.1. (Lacks HAIII though and low isn't as low as the Rex2.1). I would love to see a direct compairson of beamshots on high and low with a 14500 cell and the runtime graphs.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Awww, that's too bad. The review talk (https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2135946) seems to be pretty positive.
Don't tempt me! ;) I saw that review too - the light looks to be in the same general class the Rexlight/Dexlight offerings.

But right now I'm focusing on getting a few Rebel lights in. They seem to do a better job of colour rendition, but I need to investigate that more. I'm done testing my two DX Rebel lights (0070 and 0100 bins), and my L2T v2.0 (0080) should be in any day now. I also a L2D RB100 on order - when I get the Fenix lights in, I'll post results here in the 1AA configuration (using the L1D body tube). :cool:

BobbyRS

Enlightened

Don't tempt me! ;) I saw that review too - the light looks to be in the same general class the Rexlight/Dexlight offerings.

:poke::devil: If you don't, then I hope someone else does.

But right now I'm focusing on getting a few Rebel lights in. They seem to do a better job of colour rendition, but I need to investigate that more. I'm done testing my two DX Rebel lights (0070 and 0100 bins), and my L2T v2.0 (0080) should be in any day now. I also a L2D RB100 on order - when I get the Fenix lights in, I'll post results here in the 1AA configuration (using the L1D body tube). :cool:

:bow: You're awsome! I can't wait.

merlocka

Enlightened

Thanks for sharing your observations - I've reached much the same conclusions on these lights.

And glad to to hear the Rex 2.1 pill fits in the MkIIX. I also prefer the finish of the MkIIX over the Rexlight, so may experiment myself (currently EDCing the Rex on 14500, as I prefer the UI and excellent runtime on this battery).

FYI, my stock MkIIX takes 14500 no problem, as it has a spring on the +'ve battery contact end in the head. For that matter, both my Rexlights have also taken my AW protecteds no problem, without needing the supplied extra contact ring. But good to point out that some lights may need it ...

My DEX and REX will come close to a protected 14500... but I'm worried about crunching them. I'm very attached to my AW cells :), especially after learning the hard way how much better AW cells are than Ultra/Trust/SuperFire cells. I've had to recycle almost all of those already.

P.S. your reviews are awesome!!! SAD I ORDERED MRV before you posted your thrower review!!! I WANT A TIABLO NOW!!!

This is a very bad hobby.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Main post just updated with Luma 301 Hi mode on alkaline. As expected, it performed in the same range as the C-LE, but with a very nice long "moon mode" as opposed to the C-LE sudden drop off. Thanks to Ricky for the super-fast RMA service!

My Liteflux LF-5 also arrived today, so I've just started testing. First impressions are favourable - very white, smooth SSC beam - and it comes with a very nice kit and display box (with diffuser, filters, etc.). :thumbsup:. Now for the detailed testing to see how it stacks up!

P.S. your reviews are awesome!!! SAD I ORDERED MRV before you posted your thrower review!!! I WANT A TIABLO NOW!!!
Don't be - the MRV is an outstanding light. I still prefer the "hand feel" of it over the other lights, and I like the tailcap lockout feature (which the Tiablo doesn't have). You won't be disappointed with the MRV.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Re: LF5, Rex 2.1, LM301, DX X.1, C-LE, Fenix L1DCE-Q2, DX/Kai 5-Stage Review: RUNTIME

Main post just updated with new Liteflux LF5. :)

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Re: LF5, Rex 2.1, LM301, DX X.1, C-LE, Fenix L1DCE-Q2, DX/Kai 5-Stage Review: RUNTIME

Main post just updated with final LF5 graph (low mode on 14500).

Very good results on NiMH and 14500 - output/runtime is at least as good as any of the other PWM lights, and probably the best regulated to boot.

However, I wouldn't recommend running this light on alkalines. If you plan to use mainly alkaline batteries, you are probably better off looking at some of the competition.

I still can't detect the actual PWM freq (my DMM won't lock on a value that high), but like the Rex 2.1 it is definitely quite high and unnoticeable in actual use.

Gaffle

Enlightened

Selfbuilt, I gots a question.

When you ran the L1D was your "HI" set at turbo, or was that regular "HI" (the 80 lumen high)?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

When you ran the L1D was your "HI" set at turbo, or was that regular "HI" (the 80 lumen high)?
It's set to regular mode "Hi", not turbo mode "Turbo". In the L1D configuration, I found the difference between Turbo and Hi to be around ~5-8% (max) in my lightbox, depending on battery type. Since this is pretty negligible, and since the Hi mode outperforms almost all the other lights (in terms of output), I figured it was best to keep it in Hi for the runtime tests.

I'll have to check through my records to see if I've done it in Turbo for a comparison. But I suspect there would just be a slight drop in runtime to correspond to the slight increase in output.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Main post just updated with two Rebel light: MTE 5-Stage R100 and Fenix L1D with "Premium" R100 head from L2D.

Simply put, the Fenix Rebel light with this head is a home-run. It shows incremental improvements in all areas: higher output, further throw, longer runtime and improved color rendition over the Cree Q2 version (which itself was an incremental improvement in output and runtime over the orginal L1DCE). Even the standard R080/R090 L1D head would be an upgrade over the original L1DCE (with output/runtime likely similar to the Q2 Cree edition). :thumbsup:

The MTE 5-Stage R100 is a disappointment. Overall output and runtime has actually decreased slightly compared to the (presumably) P4 Cree editions. Huge tint change when switching modes, and beam profile is full of artifacts. Body design is also not an improvement, as it is longer, thiner, and won't tailstand. :thumbsdow

FYI, I also have the MTE 5-Stage R070 light, and it's output is about 2/3 that of the R100 reported here (as you would expect). Personally, I'd avoid the current crop of DX/Kai Rebel lights until they get these problems resolved.

mchlwise

Enlightened
Thanks for the updates and the EXCELLENT reviews.

Some of the best and most informative reviews I've seen since Doug retired.

:twothumbs