Rebel, Cree, SSC Multi-Stage 1AA Review: RUNTIMES and BEAMSHOTS

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Just added results from new Ultrafire C3 multi-stage light to the first post.

This is first budget light I feel somewhat comfortable recommending, it terms of its output/runtime characteristics. Build quality issues are problematic, however, as discussed in my main review of that light (linked up above).

Cheers!

afahmic

Newly Enlightened
Re: Rex 2.1, Luma 301, DX X.1, C-LE v1.2, Fenix L1DCE-Q2, DX/Kai 5-Stage Review: RUNT

Is there any update for L1d Q5?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Re: Rex 2.1, Luma 301, DX X.1, C-LE v1.2, Fenix L1DCE-Q2, DX/Kai 5-Stage Review: RUNT

Is there any update for L1d Q5?
Will be at least another week before I receive my L2D-Q5, and it will take about a week from then to do all the testing in L1D format.

But see the recent discussion on the likely minimal output difference in 1AA format here:

afahmic

Newly Enlightened

Can't wait longer to see how it compared.

Excellent job, selfbuilt.

Grateful Ned

Newly Enlightened
Super thread, thanks for all the info. :popcorn:

Any chance you'll add in the Olight AA model, the T15? Guessing they will have a Q5 option for that soon, but it's already a great light according to some other folks here. Anxious to buy a couple of these models and try 'em out !

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Any chance you'll add in the Olight AA model, the T15? Guessing they will have a Q5 option for that soon, but it's already a great light according to some other folks here. Anxious to buy a couple of these models and try 'em out !
Thanks for the support.

I get a lot of request for this one, but I've been holding off. I'm not personally that keen on the interface sequence (i.e. I like low to hi), and I'm waiting for them to resolve the issue about running 14500 will all modes enabled. Revised version (likely also with Q5) should be out by end of year, so maybe I will get it then. Don't feel like outlaying the cash right now for a light that's undergoing circuit revisions ... wait and see. :whistle:

As an aside, ALL my reviews so far have been financed out of my own pocket, so I'm understandably choosy about what I spend my coin on ... ;)

Grateful Ned

Newly Enlightened
No worries. I saw the video that is out there on the Olight T15 and the twisty interface seems a little hand-intensive... I'm still a noob to all these next gen lights so maybe I just have stuff to learn, but I think I'm gonna end up a 'clicky' fan.

Keep up the good work selfbuilt - this thread needs a sticky, yes ? :thumbsup:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, very nice. That was a lot of work. :clap:

The AA light niche is crazy hard to keep track of. This thread helps a lot.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
No immediate plans to get an Olight or JetBeam MkIIR, I'm afraid (I'm not that interested in either UI, frankly). The NiteCore will be added to the review when I receive the actual shipping version (I don't think it's fair to put a pre-production model into the mix). As soon as I receive the shipping NiteCore and re-do the testing, the results will go up here and in my NiteCore thread.

However, I've just added the Fenix L1D with premium Q5 head results to the main post for your enjoyment. :) New this time are 14500 results for the Fenix in most modes.

Last edited:

merlocka

Enlightened
No immediate plans to get an Olight or JetBeam MkIIR, I'm afraid (I'm not that interested in either UI, frankly). The NiteCore will be added to the review when I receive the actual shipping version (I don't think it's fair to put a pre-production model into the mix). As soon as I receive the shipping NiteCore and re-do the testing, the results will go up here and in my NiteCore thread.

However, I've just added the Fenix L1D with premium Q5 head results to the main post for your enjoyment. :) New this time are 14500 results for the Fenix in most modes.

The Olight and MKIIR comments were more of a tease. Your efforts are astounding, and very helpful to all CPF members.

I actually responded to JetBeam in their CPFMP thread that the current UI was not interesting in a $70 light, offered them some suggestions.

The Olight does seem interesting from a UI perspective... but I'm waiting for the Nitecore, I think that will hold me off for a while. Might have to take it to one of my friends with a machine shop, carve off those knurlings though :) I don't see myself warding off any attackers with a AA pocket light.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
The Olight and MKIIR comments were more of a tease. Your efforts are astounding, and very helpful to all CPF members.

I actually responded to JetBeam in their CPFMP thread that the current UI was not interesting in a $70 light, offered them some suggestions.

The Olight does seem interesting from a UI perspective... but I'm waiting for the Nitecore, I think that will hold me off for a while. Might have to take it to one of my friends with a machine shop, carve off those knurlings though :) I don't see myself warding off any attackers with a AA pocket light.
I realized you were being playful with your comments on the other lights - I took them that way. :)

And I agree fully with your comments on the Jetbeam thread - in fact, I just replied there supporting your post.

I'm less interested in the Olight given the hi to low sequence (I use lights the other way around), and I know the initial batch couldn't take 14500 properly and preserve all the levels (apparently they are working to fix that).

But I have to say, from my perspective, the NiteCore adequately fulfills my needs at present. Hope the shipping versions match the performance of my sample!

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
Still, it would be very nice to see these other lights added to your excellent comparison.

If you are interested, I could loan you an Olight T15-Q5 for a couple of weeks for (non-destructive) testing.

Drop me a PM if you are interested.

-- Alan

Grateful Ned

Newly Enlightened
So one wonders when Fenix will offer us an L1D and/or L1T that already comes with an LED at the R100 or Q5 level. I see the P2 combo pack but I'm not sure I want to pay for extra parts, and I'm still hesitant about getting a light that has the P2 flash problem when switching modes.

Last edited:

Grateful Ned

Newly Enlightened
By way of a gift idea update for the holidays, I just received a couple Fenix L1T v2's in the mail today I plan to gift to potential flashaholics (incl my son's martial arts teacher) and I actually picked up an 'old' L1S as well as a starter light for my son. Even with that he'll blow away his scout buddies etc with their little incans, muhuahahaha.

Anyways the L1T V2's get a thumbs up from me for a good, straightforward light. Momentary clicky works great and the beam plenty bright and very pleasing color. I know a couple vendors are sold out of 'em right now but for good reason. Great AA light. A Q5 version or better (future bins) would rock, presuming interface and size stay the same, and price is reasonable (seems slightly overpriced right now for two-mode 90-ish lumens).

:thumbsup:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Still, it would be very nice to see these other lights added to your excellent comparison.

If you are interested, I could loan you an Olight T15-Q5 for a couple of weeks for (non-destructive) testing.
Just an update, but I finally pulled the trigger and ordered an Olight T15-Q5 from 4sevens. Will probably take a couple of weeks to get here, but I will add it to the review. :grin2:

Actually, I will probably also start a new review thread soon just to compare the various Q5 AA lights. EDGETAC is sending me a shipping version of the NiteCore, so I will be able to directly compare it to my pre-production version (reivew in my sig block).

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad to hear you are going to add the T15 to the review. It is great to have side by side comparisons. I gave mine away, so I don't have one anymore. It is a nicely made light, but I have others I like better.

-- Alan

Grateful Ned

Newly Enlightened
Just an update, but I finally pulled the trigger and ordered an Olight T15-Q5 from 4sevens. Will probably take a couple of weeks to get here, but I will add it to the review. :grin2:

Actually, I will probably also start a new review thread soon just to compare the various Q5 AA lights. EDGETAC is sending me a shipping version of the NiteCore, so I will be able to directly compare it to my pre-production version (reivew in my sig block).

:twothumbs

Hopefully by then Fenix will let us know what's happening with the L1T line as the v2 was a good AA light. Will be quite a lineup all side by side. You're doin' the Lord's work here selfbuilt.