Rebel, Cree, SSC Multi-Stage 1AA Review: RUNTIMES and BEAMSHOTS

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Thanks for the support everyone. :)

Just updated the last Fenix L1D runtime graph (low mode on alkaline). Looks like I spoke too soon - this is the one mode where the runtime was actually a bit lower than the Q2 Cree edition. But there's an obvious reason why - output is nearly 50% greater!

This might be an issue for those who actually like a lower low mode (for them, this would be a step in the wrong direction). Personally, I must admit that I quite like my Rex 2.1 for it's incredibly long-lasting ultra-low mode. But of course, your tastes may vary.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

selfbuilt, this has to be one of the best threads to date!!!

thanks for all your work.

:thumbsup:

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great job for keeping this updated. I keep telling people to check this thread before buying a single or double AA light as it shows which lights are more efficient and brighter. Very cool thread. :thumbsup:

fasuto

Enlightened
Sorry for the question but I dont fully undestand the rexlight UI.
Can you swith off the light with only one click when in any mode, like medium for example, or need a cycle of clicks.

Thanks

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Sorry for the question but I dont fully undestand the rexlight UI. Can you swith off the light with only one click when in any mode, like medium for example, or need a cycle of clicks.
You can click off in any mode with one click, and have it come back on in that mode next time you turn on the light.

Simply put, it has a 2sec memory feature, whereby it remembers the last mode used if you wait 2secs in any one mode before turning off the light (the light will flash to notify you memory is on). If you turn off the light in under 2secs, the next time you turn it on it will have advanced to the next mode (just as if you had soft-pressed without going to off).

It's a little more complicated if you leave it on low, as there's a another time window where turning if off now will switch you into the next set of light modes (i.e. Daily, Tactic, or Advanced modes), which control how many light levels are available to you. This is between 4-6 secs for Tactic/Advanced, or between 2-4secs on Daily. Fortunately, the light flashes again to let you know you are in the potential mode set change time window.

It sounds more confusing then it is in practice. :)

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you Selfbuilt for the tremendous work you've done here. The comparison graphs are fantastically useful! To have all that information comparing different lights on ONE graph makes it more informative than pages and pages of stand alone graphs and reviews. Thank you so much.

Thrifty

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
To have all that information comparing different lights on ONE graph makes it more informative than pages and pages of stand alone graphs and reviews. Thank you so much.
You're welcome! :)

That was actually one of the key reasons why I created these types of reviews. Nothing works better than to be able to see the performance of different lights on the same graph, tested under exactly the same conditions.

I have the new C-LE v2.0 on order, and will update these reviews once it comes in. Stil waiting on Kai to make the upgrade rex modules available (my budget doesn't quite support ordering a whole new light, as nice as they are :broke:). And I hate seeing my Rex 2.0 sitting there unloved and unused ... so many lights, so little dark. :laughing:

UPDATE 9/28: I've just start runtimes on the LF5 on its lowest mode (~0.3 on my output scale). I expect will this take several days (weeks?) before the alkaline dies. I'll let you know the results!

UPDATE 10/05: One week later, and the LF5 is still going strong on ultra low. I've updated the Lo graph in the main post to show you the output level. At this rate, we could be here awhile ...:whistle:

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I think there is a new and interesting contender: Olight T15

I've been looking at that one for while now, but just can't convince myself to go for it. I don't like the Hi to Low sequence (much prefer Low to Hi, like the Rex or Fenix lights). Twisty/clicky hybrid is interesting on this light ... but the full twisty of the Liteflux is far more versatile. So I'm hard-pressed to pull the trigger on this one ... actually, I'm looking forward to new Jetbeams with higher bin emitters (e.g. Jet II looks interesting).

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Just added LF5 runtime on lowest mode: an impressive 15 days to shutdown.

I'm re-ordering a L2T v2.0 to replace the one that got lost in the mail, and will update the results here in 1AA format when it comes in. Also ordering a new Cree Q5 Fenix, so we'll see how that compares as well.

Cheers!

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have for some reasons missed this review, but I have to say
WOW, NICE WORK!
So cool that you pretty much got all the exciting multimode AAs and reviewed the whole bunch of them. I'm tempted to get the MTE Rebel100, I just like the looks of it, and it doesnt seem too bad.
Thanks for the hard work, Selfbuilt. It's most appreciated.

illmatic

Newly Enlightened
Excellent comparisons selfbuilt!

Here's a question for you, which of the lights has the best fit and finish? My preference has been SureFire E series and I just recently picked up a new Cree L1, so I was rather shocked to see the quality of the JetBeam C-LE....I have to say I'm totally impressed with the fit and finish. Obviously it doesn't have the solid feel of a SureFire, but it blows away the old Fenix L1P I had. I know that Fenix lights now have a glossier finish to them(and in true Flashaholic mode, I have a LT1 on the way!). Part of me wants to order the JetBeam Jet 1 - MKII.R after seeing how nice the C-LE is. These AA lights will either be given as gifts or used as a emergency light in the car, so I was wondering what would be the rankings according to Fit and Finish.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Here's a question for you, which of the lights has the best fit and finish? My preference has been SureFire E series and I just recently picked up a new Cree L1, so I was rather shocked to see the quality of the JetBeam C-LE....I have to say I'm totally impressed with the fit and finish.
I agree, the fit and finish of the Jetbeam's have been excellent of late. Although there can be some anodizing mismatch on their neutral finish, this is certainly no worse than Surefire (who, ironically, are probably one of the worse offenders!). The C-LE and Jet-u have very attractive styling (for those who favour a more rugged look), and the MkIIX is one of the nicest "smooth" looking lights I have. Top marks all the way around for colour, durability, design and fit.

Lumapower has also been doing a nice job on their anodizing of late. The LM301 (or LM31 as they call it now) has a gorgeous dark green-grey colour, and the dark "chocolate brown" MRV is a real beauty.

It terms of black, I've always been partial to the glossy Fenix lights, although I've noticed of late that a number of them are coming far more "matte" finish than they used to. But I find black doesn't stand up as well to every day wear and tear (especially on a keychain). The Liteflux lights are aso matte black finish.

Stylistically, the Rexlight is nothing to write home about, and I find its natural finish to be a very dull light gray. But mine has certainly stood up well to abuse, so anodizing quality is high.

Past those "big five" (i.e. JB, Luma, Fenix, LF, Rex), you are likely to start experiencing finishing issues. The cheaper DX/Kai lights are especially rough, as you would expect for the price.